Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Dealership Paint Seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dealership Paint Seal

Hey guys, I was wandering if any of you guys got the Dealership Seal for your exterior and interior? I got it for free and I thought it was pretty cool. The dealership told me that the seal will add an overlayer of protection to the exterior and interior of my new car so that I won't even need to wax the car and it'll stay shiney for up to about 5 years or so...can't remember clearly but it was a couple years. What do you guys think of this and did you guys get it from your dealership?

BTW, I went in today at 9 AM to get this seal done and I saw another RS2.0 in the lot. It looks hella good. It was an Automatic. I can't remember correctly what the number was, but it was in the 600's. I'm so glad I am driving one exactly like it.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

uh, it doesn't really do anything, honestly
its really just wax...makes the car shiny for ya when you pick it up, but not goign to add extra protection for 5years, unless they use magic paint sealant
Old 05-09-2006, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they use something like klasse all in one and the klasse sealant...which costs about $35 for both bottles and will give you about 3 years worth of applications.

5 years is a super long stretch...it won't last, trust me. they ripped you off, sorry to hear
Old 05-09-2006, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

to me its not worth getting, you can wax the car yourself
no need for it, car has a good amount of wax already from factory
Old 05-09-2006, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

well, he got it for free so basically it was a way for the dealer to make the deal he got seem better than it actually was...sneaky stealerships.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

nono
the dealership consists of the parts/service/sales dept
so the sales aka crooks dept. was at fault, not the entire dealer
Old 05-09-2006, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I always wondered what that lusterizing sealant was all about, It would be worth it if it was an extra clearcoat
Old 05-09-2006, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the peon that applies this super duper wax protectant on your car will end up scratching it and leaving swirl marks. even if it was free, i would have refused it just so i can have a scratchless, swirless car off the lot.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

if you get scratches and swirls from the sealant
they need new detail techs, cuz it shouldn't happen
Old 05-09-2006, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think what hes saying is that no one cars more about your paint job then you. MY dealer wanted to wash the car before I took it home and I told them no, just give me the free gas.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cars need to be cleaned up after transit, so it will have some "hands on" time before delivery.
Years ago the old "rust & dust" plans were a nice way to make some extra $$ for the finance dept--you were basically buying a piece of paper saying you had "x" coverage with them hoping you never needed it. Some manu's started recommending against rust proof, etc.... I never pushed it, nor would i ever buy it. But a free coat never really hurts if it was applied right...
And to be honest, there were times when a car had some minor scratches/dings in transit ( especially on those dealer trades ) that ended up being taken care of before going on the lot. I'm guessing that could still happen...

As to one dept being the "crooks" on things like this.. that can be the case, but unfortunately it's still the dealer name that can get tarnished... bad news always travels to more people then good news
Old 05-10-2006, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes this "seal" was offered to me at the financing dept when I bought my car. The guy was offering me the extended warranty, seal, and alarm system that would bump my monthly payments up 70+ dollars. I refused all of them and he kept pushing them on me, but I kept refusing. So then he quit, and then he said he will take out the "bank fee" and give me the "seal" in replacement of that. I knew there were something fishy going on...but it was a good thing I refused everything he offered me.

BTW, after I took it home later on, I did noticed some scratches on my rear hatch...I didn't have any scratches before...but I'm not ready to start blaming the dealership and making problems for them. I'll check out my car more tomorrow morning to see if there are any other things that I haven't noticed before.

Also, the paint does feel smoother than before...so if this thing does last 3 years, is it a good idea to wax it myself after washes? I had already bought the Turtle Wax from Wal-Mart and I haven't used it yet. I heard that it was a very good brand of wax.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont have the dealership papers with me right now, so i dont know how much extra it was.. but i was offereed like a gold protection plan, one of four different plans. they did window etching to keep the car from being stolen somehow? "Xillon paint protector molecular adheision", they offered one with lojack and something else. it was extra for this. i told them i wouldnt be able to get it during the week because im only in town on the weekends. they have given me the stroke and i still havent gotten it almost 2 months later. i wax the car almost every week and i think it would be more effective for me to do that then to pay for the thing they offer, any imput?
Old 05-10-2006, 05:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you read the fineprint of that seal crap the dealers sell, you see that there's no magic at all. They say its 5 years of protection because they reapply it every 6 months. Most people never go back because they don't know this. All they do is get a buffer jockey who doesn't really know what he's doing to run a buffer over your car with a paint sealant. Its something you can do yourself. Save the money, thats the biggest dealer ripoff out there.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you go in every 6 months...interesting I didn't know that. I will find out about that...and I didn't pay for this at all...they gave it to me...at least I don't see any fee in my contract on the seal...unless it's a hidden fee.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

toyota lists it as vehicle shield package 349.00
heres what it comes with
Vehicle Shield Package
-Lusterizing Sealant
-Sound Shield
-Sealant Cleaner
-Rental Car Assistance
Old 05-11-2006, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sound shield?? like dynamat or soemthing?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dunno im sure its some bull
Old 05-12-2006, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Most of this stuff is bull ..

Here is the nitty gritty .. The sound deadening is a tacky spray they hit the wheel wells with, often sloppy and done at port only. The exterior paint sealant, a hot wax car wash, also done at port .. by the time the local dealer using thier cheapest car wash chemicals hits the paint to remove the road griime, paint sealant is off. No dealer goes through the expense of waxing a car during delivery unless there was damage to the cars, often by the porter who may have a belt buckle or jewelry on and scratches your car.

There sealant which you get with the car is actually pretty good, its a wax / compound that may be worth re-purchasing if you like the results, but believe me, they do as little as possible to get the car out to you as quickly as possible. The longer you spend on the lot, the greater the chance at buyers remorse.

Now believe me or not, but this comes from the inside, so I hope I'd know what I am talking about. Hope this helps ..
Old 05-12-2006, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i walked in the dealership just looking for a car, not even sure if i was going for the tc or the civic or w/e and i told him i wanted a black one with 5 spd, and i wasnt planning on spending as much as i did either, didnt think i would get a brand new one. they can talk you into stuff really easy. he also told me the EXTENDED 7year/100000 mile warranty for 1100 bucks will pay for itself just from SOFTWARE UPDATES to the electronics. im going to cancel that asap as well as the XILON coating. they put some window etching on the car when i left i dont even know how that deters theifs from stealing the car but w/e. i wax the car almost every weekend because its always parked outdoors and im obsessed with keeping it clean. so i dont think i even need the xilon thing.

Quick Reply: Dealership Paint Seal