Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Detailing: windows

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Detailing: windows

I feel like there has to be something else I can do to my windows when I wash the car. I ususlly just throw some Invisible Glass on them with a micofiber cloth.

Isnt there like some window wax or something we can use to protect and clean the glass with?

This is especially a big deal to me having a car with an almost completely glass roof.

thanks for some input.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can use a glass-polishing product like Sonus Glass & Chrome Polish to keep glass clean and free of water spots. It’s simple to do. Just rub the polish in thoroughly with a terry cloth applicator, and buff dry with a terry cloth or microfiber towel.

If you have severe water spotting, you can use Sonus Glass & Chrome Polish with #000 or #0000 synthetic steel wool (use on exterior only!). The ultrafine synthetic steel wool provides a bit more cutting power for the really tough jobs.

Please be aware that a glass polish cannot fix glass damage from road stones and severe water spot etching. If your glass is badly pitted or etched, it may need to be replaced.

Some people clean (w/ their favorite method) and then seal with RainX. Helps reduce spotting, but Sonus is much better.

Myself, I use any car shampoo and a squeegee for perfect glass everytime. I dont like to waste time and once you learn to use one correctly, there is nothing better, cheaper or faster.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Thanks bud.

Na, my car is a 09 that I got in August. I shouldnt have any severe problems. Just want to protect them like I protect the paint.

I would do the Rain-X but I hear its corrosive. Opinions on this? I dont want it to hurt the glass over time.

Also, what to do about all the little tiny dots that you see in the windsheild when the sun hits it at a certain angle? Any way to get that off?

thanks again
Old 01-07-2009, 06:20 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Agent99
I would do the Rain-X but I hear its corrosive. Opinions on this? I dont want it to hurt the glass over time.
where did you hear that from???
Old 01-07-2009, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seeing as glass is used to hold material like hydrocloric acid, I seriously doubt Rain-X will do any damage to the windshield.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did hear that if you get Rain X on paint, and then ever have to paint that area the paint won't stick or something. I heard this a few years ago, and I do believe it was from a paint guy. Ony throwing something out there just as a word.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I use Armor All Auto Glass Cleaner for my glass. I only use rain-x for the windows and roof because I hate when it starts to wear off on the windshield.