Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Engine missing on startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 02:24 AM
Kik
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Engine missing on startup

05 tc. This started about a day ago. When I start the car, it sounds like the engine is only running on 3 cylinders, Check engine lite came on. When I press the gas it seems to run better and when it's warmed up it's fine. I was thinking new plugs to start. I've read a lot of different things from iridium to copper, it's all very confusing. What plug is suppose to be in there or which plug is best for about 25,000 miles at a time?

Also, This car is lowered, I can just put my index finger between the fender and the wheel. I noticed the other day when I was checking the brake pads that the left strut is leaking a little. There is no brand name on the strut, How do I tell if it's stock with short springs or if it's a custom strut? It needs to be replaced soon.

Last question. When it's colder than 20 degrees outside (the 1st engine start of the morning). I'll let the car idle and warm usually about 5 minutes, I noticed the last couple of weeks that it doesn't like shifting into the Overdrive for about 2.5 - 3 miles, after that it shifts fine the rest of the day, even when leaving work after 8 hours, but it's usually warmer by then.

Any thoughts or recommendations on any of this would be very helpful, thank you.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:55 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the transmission thing is normal in cold weather. helps with the engine warm up after it's up to operating temp or 132 degrees or some thing like that it'll shift into o.d.

no clue on your engine question until you get the C.E.L. codes read
Old 11-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Kik
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jct
the transmission thing is normal in cold weather. helps with the engine warm up after it's up to operating temp or 132 degrees or some thing like that it'll shift into o.d.

no clue on your engine question until you get the C.E.L. codes read

Put a code reader on it, all it comes up with is Code: N/A DTC: 01/02.

That was my personal reader. I took the car to the auto parts store and had them read it, it came up with the same info.

Thanks for the info about the trans, I was starting to think it had a problem.