Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Favorite wax?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Favorite wax?

Time to wash the xB. Knew i should have gotten a lighter color. Dust shows up too easy on onyx blue. Just wondering what types of wax that you guys use or would recommend.
Old 07-12-2003, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member

Meguires 100%!
all their products are top notch.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by N600
Meguires 100%!
all their products are top notch.
i will have to second this. everything is complete quality.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I've used Meguires for my first wash and wax, and then later, P21S which I liked better. But 2 weeks ago (I know, I probably overwaxed it) I got ahold of Zaino Brothers series of waxes....of course I had to strip the wax off by using dishwashing liquid (Liquid Dawn) and I can say that the Zaino Bros was is the best wax I've used.

Before I layered on the Zaino wax, I used a german Brand Base Coat/Sealant called Klasse All-In-One to help get rid of any contaminants on the clear coat. After letting it set for about 2-3 hours, I layered on 2 coats of the Zaino Bros wax. All of my friends could totally tell the difference. It's really hard to elaborate but it makes it look really wet and sparkly (thats with the ThunderCloud Metallic).

A really good site to look into is http://www.autopia.org/. They've got a bunch of hard core detailers on there and a good forum with some helpful reviews.

The Zaino Bros site can be found at http://www.zainostore.com/.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I've had really good experiences with 3M products, alot of body shops I work with use them. The handglaze, show wax, shampoo, etc., all have been really nice. Also for saving old paint with the rubbing compound and swirl mark remover. I don't know if its the BEST wax, but it's definately a brand I trust and would recommend.

Meguiars has a nice system, that I used to use. Wash, cleaner wax, polish, show wax, but I like the 3M better.

Zymol is often said to be really good, but I didn't care for how it built up. Also someone I talked to said something about if you buy Zymol and it was made or packaged in the US it's acutally from Turtle Wax (don't know if that's true).

I havn't tried enough designer waxes yet to know if they are worth the money.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

ZAINO is by far the best when it comes to overall finish and longevity. There is only one other product I would use besides Zaino, it's Zymol Royale...

Never buy Zymol products from an automotive store...the stuff they sell for retail at stores is the equivalent to Turtle Wax, just order the stuff.

Also if you want that extra deep deep shine, use the Zaino...dark colored cars a bunch of coats of Z-5 with Z-6 between each coat and then finally finish with Z-2. Light colored cars don't need Z-5 because you don't see the fine scratches and swirl marks unless, you park under a black light or something. If you think you want your car to shine even more...it doesn't last longer than usually a week but, it's S-100 sold at Harley stores.

I've tried them all and dollar for dollar...Zaino, price no object Zymol Royale.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i use "the wax shop" liquid wax. works really well. you can also use it on wheels and plastic parts like headlights and taillights. it's non abrasive, but it does seem to remove small scratches, and it does a good job of removing swirl marks. you can get it at most auto parts stores. it's not as well knows as mequiars or ZAINO due to less marketing hype, but it works great.

turtle wax spray wax also works well for me. don't laugh. it's easy to use and works well.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just purchased meguair's gold class clear coat wax (recommended for new cars) and I am going to was and wax my car this weekend and i let people know what i think about it.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeah, that gold class is not bad at all. we used that on my girlfriend's car and it worked really well. should work well on your matrix.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member

Zaino is the best bet with me -- check out http://www.zainostore.com/ --

-- I love it...

eric
Old 08-11-2003, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use Meguires wax and it works great. i even used it for all of the cars in my family. my moms 4runner, sisters is300 and it works great. i was going to get Zaino but it cost to much for me so i decided to use Meguires and it works great!

i have their car wash/conditioner, gold class wax, scratch x, and some rim cleaning thingy. everything seems to work really well. the scratch x works better on older cars. i dont think newer car needs it.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I hear that the Zaino Bros wax doesnt last as long as Meguilars 26 (Yellow wax), has anyone compaired the two?

-Denny
Old 08-12-2003, 04:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by DenZinz
I hear that the Zaino Bros wax doesnt last as long as Meguilars 26 (Yellow wax), has anyone compaired the two?

-Denny
It depends. I've used meguires for my first waxing on my car, then switched to Zaino after that. Zaino is more synthetic protectant than a wax and I think the Zaino lasts longer. The only problem with Zaino is that its kind of rigorous to use. The whole process will take you a good half day or more if you want to apply it correctly....Meguires will do you just as good, however I think the time spent with Zaino is better. Just a matter of how much time you want to put into detailing your car.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default meguires

i trust and use meguires gold class clear coat wax....its shine is unbeatable IMO.

i also trust 3M b/c so many body shops i know use it and have great results.

its a test and judge on your own type of thing. just take your time and you will try plenty, if you are like me...hehe

l. garcia 8)
Old 08-15-2003, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I notice that everyone seem to wash their own xB... i consider myself too lazy for that... although it would be nice. I live in a townhome with garages facing the driveways..ppl get ____ed off when we block the driveway. anyways, so i naturally take my car to the hand wash.

I haven't washed my car yet since purchase... it is blue onyx, my first blue car.

i had white,black and silver b4:

blue onyx:

con: dusty and dirty fast, must wash weekly.
pro: awesome color when clean. new pearl color, unlike those light blue ones.

my question is: first wax job recommendation period?
Old 08-15-2003, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you typically want to get it waxed as soon as you can. it will help the finish and make it look really nice.

BlueBox:
you could try those mobil detailing places. i just started using one and it costs $15 for the standard wash and the guy comes to my work and does it.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlueBox
I live in a townhome with garages facing the driveways..ppl get ____ed off when we block the driveway. anyways, so i naturally take my car to the hand wash.
There are a few good coin-op self serve car washes in the area. One good, relatively new one in Orange on Katella between Main and Batavia. Another really nice one at Lake Forest and Dimension in Lake Forest that's only about two years old -- a bit out of the way, too bad I don't work in that area anymore. Good if you have an afternoon to kill and want to do the sort of detailing job that would set you back $200 at the local hand wash.

Just go easy on the high-pressure spray and use plenty of the "spot free" soft water rinse :)
Old 08-25-2003, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, yeah, my favorite wax.

I think I just found a new one this weekend ... figured if Meguiar's Cleaner Wax was good, the three-step Deep Crystal stuff had to be better. It took HOURS. In fact it was pitch dark by the time I finished, but even at night I could tell the stuff worked miracles. Today I awoke to an optical-grade shine and rushed out to take photos before the construction dust, birds and marine layer did their thing.

I also tried waxing and buffing in a straight line rather than in a circular pattern as some people suggested. I was pleasantly surprised -- the inevitable scratch marks were invisible from most angles.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member

Only wax I will use is Meguiars Carnuba Paste, paste wax is waaaay better than the liquid, plus their clay bar is nice too
Old 08-25-2003, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

When it comes to detailing my car, I'm very meticulous and I've tried all forms of "wax." I must agree that the first steps to applying Zaino are very tedious but, the results are beyond anything thats out there on the market today. Yes the shine is a wet look and its very very slippery to the touch. Once you go through the first steps upkeep of the Zaino "wet look" and protection of the car is rather quite easy. Many people tend to use too much of it. If done correctly application of Zaino is nearly invisble and somewhat disheartening because you think you have to put it on thicker...when in reality you don't. My friend's car is brand new and my car is shinier than his and thats without S-100(which isn't Zaino). Nothing and I mean nothing, is better than Zaino in longevity, shine, and protection.

Quick Reply: Favorite wax?