Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Fog light fog up!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Fog light fog up!!

Ok, I washed the box a couple nights ago and yesterday evening i noticed that the passenger side fog light is fogged up!

I know a trip to my dealer would yeild a new one, but I spent good money for some 12 mm thick protectors for the headlamps and foglamps!!!

My old Focus did this a couple of times and eventually passed, - anyone eles expirience this?
Old 10-05-2004, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Echo
SL Member

Yeah, same thing is happening to mine. When I went to replace the bulbs w/ hyperwhite ones, a bunch of water dumped out of there. I was ____ed, and still am. Im going to go get new ones ordered next week prob.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, I hope water isnt puddled in thier-Its just fog...But to my understanding, the foglamps and pushed in the bumper with some type of rubber nipples- true? Have you removed yours?
Old 10-05-2004, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They're actually held in there by a cylinder like white plastic clip. I bought my fogs from the dealer after I bought the car so I had to install them myself. To get them off you'll need to find out how to get your hand behind them to squeeze the clips so that the fogs pop right out. Here in Cali, we don't get too much rain, except for during the winter time, so I hope ours won't be affected the same way too.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, from the looks of it- Its almost impossible to remove the passenger side! the fluid resivoir its right underneath it!!

Well I had alot of bugs plastered to the front of my box- I definetly gave it a good pounding of water!

Once It dries out- I hope it doesnt come back!!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My wife's car wasn't lowered at the time I installed these so naturally I could get to them from underneath but I just had to reach my hand way up there to reach it. It can be done, but it's kind of difficult. Otherwise, I'm wondering if removing the top grill section would make it easier to get to it. Hmmm have to look at it tonight when my wife comes home. :D
Old 10-06-2004, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well thanks for the info- But im 6'3" and 240 lbs- so crawling under my xB is a little bigger task! I cant fit my head underneath it to fit!- and my suspension is all stock!
Old 10-06-2004, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I just checked last night, and apparently you can get to them from the top of the engine bay. On the passenger side it's a little easier because you have a big area to fit your hand through to reach the 2 plastic clips (one white and one black). Both have notches that you'll need to squeeze together and then just push the fog light out from the inside. On the driver side though, you'll probably have to move the airbox resonator tube out of the way before you can fit your hand in there to reach the clips.

The other way I found might be easier is if you remove your headlight housings then you will have plenty of room to work with to remove the fogs. I believe it's just the 2 bolts up on top and the whole thing slides out but I'm not certain because I've never remove the headlight housings yet.

Well if you ever find the most painless method, then please let us know in case it happens to more of us.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

my foglights had condenstation once, i took them out(BOTH), decided to dry them
as good as possible, then put a hairdryer on it for like 30 mins. then i air dried it overnite. the next day i put them on, and they haven't fogged through rain/shine..
Old 10-06-2004, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Joey

Since you've taken 'em out before, you have an easier way to get to the fogs and remove them? I don't have condensation yet, but in case I do, I'd like to know if there was an easier way to remove them, than the way I explained above. Actually I do want to remove them so I can put yellow ions in the fogs. I think the main headlights are plenty bright on our always clear night situations anyway, so I just want to make the fogs more functional rather than appearance. Appreciate the help!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

u pop them out from the side thats more to the center of the car..
Old 10-07-2004, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahajoey
I'm guessing using a towel covered flat head screwdriver? You just pry them out?
Old 10-08-2004, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahajoey
You go and try that on your box!! Im not going to!!
Old 10-08-2004, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I got condensation in mine as well. Took them to the dealership and they warrantied them for me. No hassle at all.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so has anyone eles tried this method of "prying it out" from the front?!?
Old 10-10-2004, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey i had a focus too and my headlights (both) were replaced twice as a set at one point warranty

are your foglights installed by that toyota dealership because if so its covered under your new car warranty DON'T TOUCH!!!!

they will be able to tell if you touched something and they will tell you to buy a set and you probably can't buy them seperately
Old 10-20-2004, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi UnFocused:

Here is a little step by step that I put together. Hope this helps you out.

Here's the foglight untouched.

Here is where I take the flathead and the towel and slowly pry the foglight out by it's edge.

Here, the foglight has been popped out of the bumper.

Now gently wiggle the foglight out and then you'll see the bulb connector. Unplug it and you'll set it's free for you to dry it out.

Now you need to remove the black adjustment screw clip that is still stuck in there. You'll have to wiggle it all the way left than right and push out from the back at the same time to get it out. It's tricky but not difficult so you shouldn't have to use tools or extreme force, otherwise you might break the clip.

Once off, it goes on the black adjustment screw. Just push it on until it snaps on like a cap.

Here's a picture with it on.

Now to put the foglight back in, plug the bulb connector in, align the foglight into the hole on the opposite side of which you pryed, and then align the 2 clips to the 2 holes and just push back in. It should just snap in.