Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

HELP: 06 XB Questions - Coolant Smell and "Groaning&quo

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 01:14 PM

Default HELP: 06 XB Questions - Coolant Smell and "Groaning&quo

Okay I have a 2006 XB with just over 31k miles on it. The car has been well taken care of, but for the past two weeks I've noticed a slight coolant smell both when the heat is on and off. I've never noticed it before and it's not a constant thing, but is becoming more frequent. It's going in to the dealer on Friday to see what they can find, but can any of you give me some ideas on what may be causing this?

My other problem is one I've been having since approx. 15k miles. Again, not a consistent problem but becoming more frequent. Sometimes when I make a sharp left or right turn I hear a metallic "groaning" sound. Almost similar to when the break pads wearing thin but this noise is happening when I'm not touching the brakes. Not sure how to describe it other than that. It's definitely coming from the front. I've had the dealer look a few times and they, of course cannot find anything. I'll have them check again as I want to find out what this is, but any ideas are greatly appreciated
Old 11-21-2007, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: HELP: 06 XB Questions - Coolant Smell and "Groaning

Originally Posted by Talonqt
Okay I have a 2006 XB with just over 31k miles on it. The car has been well taken care of, but for the past two weeks I've noticed a slight coolant smell both when the heat is on and off. I've never noticed it before and it's not a constant thing, but is becoming more frequent. It's going in to the dealer on Friday to see what they can find, but can any of you give me some ideas on what may be causing
Cant help you there.

My other problem is one I've been having since approx. 15k miles. Again, not a consistent problem but becoming more frequent. Sometimes when I make a sharp left or right turn I hear a metallic "groaning" sound. Almost similar to when the break pads wearing thin but this noise is happening when I'm not touching the brakes. Not sure how to describe it other than that. It's definitely coming from the front.....
Are you lowered? Large wheels? Could be the CV joints.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the reply...nope, everything on the 06 is stock. But now that you mention CV Joints, I've heard about quite a few XB owners who've had problems with them...
Old 11-21-2007, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But now that you mention CV Joints, I've heard about quite a few XB owners who've had problems with them...
Have you?? Thats news to me.

Anyhow, good luck with your ride.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you the orig. owner ?

Since owning the xB , have you ran anything over - mainly on the left side(drivers side??) knarly ?? Have you gone up/down on a curb- fairly fast ?