Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Help with my Scion :( [check engine light]

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member

Default Help with my Scion :( [check engine light]

I just got my 2005 Scion Xb last month and a couple of the check engine lights have come on. I'm so upset!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta make my appointment at the dealership now. Is there anyone else who has had a problem so soon?!?!?!?!?! It has something to do with the Traction and brake system. In the manual it says if the brakes still work then there is no reason not to drive the car. argh
Old 08-14-2004, 07:23 PM
Banned
SL Member

Nope not here.....
Old 08-14-2004, 07:33 PM

The only light that comes on in my 05 box is the blue temp. oil light or whatever it is. But right after i put my car into drive and start going it turns off.

Old 08-14-2004, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member

Sorry about the lights. I have a 05 xb also and so far no problems. I also only have the blue light come on but that is to tell you your car temp is cool. It turns off once I start driving.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is becoming a common problem for xBs now. A couple people here have said it was because of a bad ecu.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default umm

my maint light keeps coming on, what does that mean? it only happens when i start the car and 10 sec after....
Old 08-15-2004, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Often the check engine light is due to the gas cap not being secured completely. Make sure that you turn it until it clicks. If the check engine light goes off after a few more drives you might have found the problem.

The "MAINT" light is just a reminder to change your oil, which you did long ago if you want the car to last very long. Reset the light by following the instructions in your owner's manual.

George
Old 08-16-2004, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default .......

Originally Posted by George
Often the check engine light is due to the gas cap not being secured completely. Make sure that you turn it until it clicks. If the check engine light goes off after a few more drives you might have found the problem.

The "MAINT" light is just a reminder to change your oil, which you did long ago if you want the car to last very long. Reset the light by following the instructions in your owner's manual.

George
thanks.....i will just tell service to do it next time i go in for an oil change.......
Old 08-16-2004, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Help with my Scion :( [check engine light]

Originally Posted by MsGidgit
I just got my 2005 Scion Xb last month and a couple of the check engine lights have come on. I'm so upset!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta make my appointment at the dealership now. Is there anyone else who has had a problem so soon?!?!?!?!?! It has something to do with the Traction and brake system. In the manual it says if the brakes still work then there is no reason not to drive the car. argh
Sounds like maybe you're talking about the VSC and TRAC and CHECK ENGINE lights being on??? That's what it sounds like you're trying to describe.

If that's the case, what more than likely has happened is that the vaccuum hose has come unattached from the charcoal canister. It's not a big deal. Annoying pain in the ___ yes, big deal no. Take it to the dealer and they'll fix it.

If the VSC and TRAC lights ARE on (and I'm assuming correctly), just tell service what lights it is and that the first place they may want to check is that connection at the charcoal canister.

relax. no biggee. car wont blow up on the way to the dealer.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I had the same problem...Trac, VSC and Check Engine lights all came on...My box was taken into service and everything was checked out...They found my Knock Sensor went bad...

If this is the case with this guys box don't drive for long on it...I was told my the service tech that that sensor controls the valve timing and can change the gas mileage, and it also ineruupts the proper functioning of the trac and vsc systems when those lights come on...

I've been put into a rental car until the sensor comes in...You might want to check into that sensor...But that hose coming detached sounds logical too...Which hose is this???

Thanks!!!

DAN