Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Lysol did WHAT to my car?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: PROBLEM SOLVED

Originally Posted by whitewolf
Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
Originally Posted by daneisthegreatest
are you for real about p-nut butter getting wax off the black trim pieces...thats crazy
Next time you have some discolored black trim from waxing your ride ... give it a try. Just like brushing your teeth. When your done just wash it off and the waxy residue is gone. I learned this from a fellow tuner almost a decade ago, ive tried it on several occassions and it works everytime.

After trying nearly every cleaner I had, I decided to go this route.. and holy crap it WORKED. O.O Scrubbed it into all that texture and wiped it off with warm water + soap. Looks like new! :D Peanut butter FTW!

What brand of peanut butter? I assume it wasn't chunky.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Zlog
You're extremely lucky man! The basic rule of thumb is "If its flammable, its going to ruin plastic"

That's actually.. a very, VERY good rule to live by.. lol.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zlog
You're extremely lucky man! The basic rule of thumb is "If its flammable, its going to ruin plastic"

That's actually.. a very, VERY good rule to live by.. lol.
That's ACTUALLY NOT true! Rubbing alcohol 70% and 90%, carb cleaner and WD 40 are all flammable but do not harm the plastics when used properly. I've used all 3 very successfully for 3 years on interior and exterior Scion plastic to remove gunk and paint.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like peanut oil would have worked without the cleanup afterwards by using peanut butter...

Jan - 06xB
Old 09-17-2007, 05:35 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I would think margerine would have worked also.. seeing as its only one ingredient from being plastic. LOL
Old 09-17-2007, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah but it would oxidize and turn rancid after a day or so - peanut oil stands up better and silicone oil seems to work even better since it is more inert but does attract some dirt.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are a couple of things i would try before i went the sandpaper route.

1) try some Simple Green straight and a cloth.
2) try a soft toothbrush and some P-Nut Butter. This works great on removing wax buildup off of black and dark exterior plastics. The Pnut Butter acts like a light compound, while the PNut oil cleans and polishes.
3) try some heat. By that ( if it were me only cause i have some expeirence ) use a small torch and a light flame. See what happens when you add some heat to the spots. NOT DIRECT FLAME .. KEEP THE FLAME MOVING AND ONLY HEAT IT A LITTLE. NOT TO THE POINT WHERE YOU CAN SEE SMOKE OR SMELL PLASTIC BURNING.

The cheapest i can find new door panels for is here door panels

I also saw a set on Ebay for a couple hundred bucks. I cant find the old link, but the auction was for 4 new interior panels.
PNut butter is not necessary to remove wax. Just use a good dish washing soap. If it's only a small area then put one table spoon in a 32oz. spray bottle, shake, spray & let set for a few minutes then rinse, repeat if necessary. Or just use alcohol and a microfiber rag.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Lysol was no help.

Dishwashing soap (Dawn) is one of the things I tried using.. didn't do a thing at all. Then again, I suppose I wasn't trying to remove wax. Though who knows what it was...

Also. I had emailed Reckitt Benckiser (who make Lysol) about the issue. They did nothing but send me a letter, saying "We cannot determine exactly what happened to your car because we don't know if it was plastic, vinyl, leather, etc.." when I HAD SAID in my email to them, that it was plastic. > They directed me to the warning on the back of the can that said avoid contact with said surfaces if you were unsure of the results, then suggest finding a suitable Meguiar's or Mother's product. They did, however, include three $1.50 of any ONE Reckitt Benckiser product coupons, which never expire. And they make a LOT of brands. So, yes.. I gues that works. :O
Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheICEbox
There are a couple of things i would try before i went the sandpaper route.

1) try some Simple Green straight and a cloth.
2) try a soft toothbrush and some P-Nut Butter. This works great on removing wax buildup off of black and dark exterior plastics. The Pnut Butter acts like a light compound, while the PNut oil cleans and polishes.
3) try some heat. By that ( if it were me only cause i have some expeirence ) use a small torch and a light flame. See what happens when you add some heat to the spots. NOT DIRECT FLAME .. KEEP THE FLAME MOVING AND ONLY HEAT IT A LITTLE. NOT TO THE POINT WHERE YOU CAN SEE SMOKE OR SMELL PLASTIC BURNING.

The cheapest i can find new door panels for is here door panels

I also saw a set on Ebay for a couple hundred bucks. I cant find the old link, but the auction was for 4 new interior panels.
PNut butter is not necessary to remove wax. Just use a good dish washing soap. If it's only a small area then put one table spoon in a 32oz. spray bottle, shake, spray & let set for a few minutes then rinse, repeat if necessary. Or just use alcohol and a microfiber rag.
Im not going to go circles around you chasing yodals. Pnut butter has worked for me and countless outhers i have passed the info along to over the past 12 years. If it fixes a problem then thats all that counts then isnt it. Like the original poster posted, he tried dish soap and that didnt work. DONT HATE ON THE PNUT BUTTER!

BTW .. Isopropal Alcohol ( rubbing alcohol ) also dries the ever living snot out of anything it touches. Pnut Butter does not.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow anyone comes near my box with a lysol can or any kind of spray except amoral is guna get, o well nothing Il just tell them get away lol
Old 09-19-2007, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

<-- See the 25/F

Im not going to go circles around you chasing yodals. Pnut butter has worked for me and countless outhers i have passed the info along to over the past 12 years. If it fixes a problem then thats all that counts then isnt it. Like the original poster posted, he tried dish soap and that didnt work. DONT HATE ON THE PNUT BUTTER!
He?! Psssshh... I get confused for a guy lots.. I have no idea why. Personally I don't mind.. I've always been a bit of a tomboy anyhow.

I have to add to this whole peanut butter fiasco.. I was afraid of a peanut-y smell afterward.. but nope, none at all! That's what the dish soap took care of that afterward. :D I'm still amazed at how well it worked.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

My 10year old daughter attempted to toss her chewing gum out my window and after driving for nearly an hour home I spotted it stuck to the door, just above the handle outside....
Well after removing and washing and cleaning there was still a noticable amount stuck to the paint!!! My wifey said that I should use p-nut butter, W/E I thought but to my amazement the gum just sort of slid off where it was solidly stuck before! My next test is to remove stubborn bug marks on front bumper, some one suggest olive oil because of the emulisification effect and p-nut oil should do as well or better.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Wow.. someone totally needs to formulate some car wash soap with peanut oil in it, lol.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Wow.. someone totally needs to formulate some car wash soap with peanut oil in it, lol.
Sounds like a job for Jimmy Carter.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Makes me think twice about eating it again . . . . hummmm
Old 09-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Banned
SL Member

<-- See the 25/F

He?! Psssshh... I get confused for a guy lots.. I have no idea why. Personally I don't mind.. I've always been a bit of a tomboy anyhow.

I have to add to this whole peanut butter fiasco.. I was afraid of a peanut-y smell afterward.. but nope, none at all! That's what the dish soap took care of that afterward. :D I'm still amazed at how well it worked.
Im sorry about the he she thing. Your right, we dont get many females around these parts, and your avi doesnt help much. LOL

BTW ... that will be $300 for the advise on the PNut Butter. I figure a new set of panels would have run you 3 times that. LOL Seriously though, im glad i helped another unbeliever out with the power of the PNut.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by SatsumaxA
My 10year old daughter attempted to toss her chewing gum out my window and after driving for nearly an hour home I spotted it stuck to the door, just above the handle outside....
Well after removing and washing and cleaning there was still a noticable amount stuck to the paint!!! My wifey said that I should use p-nut butter, W/E I thought but to my amazement the gum just sort of slid off where it was solidly stuck before! My next test is to remove stubborn bug marks on front bumper, some one suggest olive oil because of the emulisification effect and p-nut oil should do as well or better.
In any case i have used PNut butter as a last resort. I have post here and several other forums on the power of Simple Green and how it takes bugs off the front of cars and trucks. Ive been doing it that way for many many years now and i still get great results.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

so the p-nut butter worked, the door panel is new again???

sorry just didnt want to sit and read everything on here...haha im lazy
Old 09-22-2007, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by daneisthegreatest
so the p-nut butter worked, the door panel is new again???

sorry just didnt want to sit and read everything on here...haha im lazy

Got it. :D
Old 09-22-2007, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

who woulda thought...haha...well i think we all learned a valuable lesson here...lysol is a no no for cleaning your box ; )

Quick Reply: Lysol did WHAT to my car?!