Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

New Toyota oil recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default New Toyota oil recommendation

In a service bullitin dated 3-29-06, Toyote states: *Toyota motor Corporation manufacturing plants have begun using ILSAC GF-4 engine oil. This engine oil is recommended due to its superiority in terms of fuel economy and engine protection and due to its benifits for both the customer and the environment. ISLACGF-4 can be used in all Toyota and Scion engines. *This recommendation is for 2006-2007 vehicles. *ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5w-20: This oil has been set as the Toyota genuine engine oil, starting in February 2006 for the US. This oil is superior in terms of fuel economy, engine protection, and cold starting performance. *ILSAC GF-4 SAE 0W-20: This oil has even better fuel efficiency and cold starting performance than 5W-20. Initial application for 0W-20 is in the 2006 model year 2AZ-FE engine and will be used in new engines to be developed. *Engines using ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5W-20: AZ series, GR series, JZ series, JZ series, MZ series, NZ series, RZ series, UZ series, VZ series, 1ZZ-FE, 2TR-FE. *Engines using ILSAC GF-4 0W-20 (beginning with 2006 model year): 2AZ-FE Camry, 2AZ-FE Solara, 2AZ-FE highlander, 2AZ-FE RAV4 (ACA#3). **************************** NOTE!!!!!) DO NOT use these oils in engines other than those listed above. These low-viscosity oils cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs and could result in smoke emissions from the tailpipe and/or unusual engine noise.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SO I can put in their recommended 0w-20 into my tC? I have 1 more free oil change from Scion, is that what they use now at the dealerships?

It also kinda seems to me that maybe they're recognizing an issue with lubrication and felt a need to change it.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The TC will be using the 5W-20 oil and dealerships will begin to start using the new oil as the old stocks are phased out.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: New Toyota oil recommendation

Originally Posted by Scott17
In a service bullitin dated 3-29-06, Toyote states: *Toyota motor Corporation manufacturing plants have begun using ILSAC GF-4 engine oil. This engine oil is recommended due to its superiority in terms of fuel economy and engine protection and due to its benifits for both the customer and the environment. ISLACGF-4 can be used in all Toyota and Scion engines. *This recommendation is for 2006-2007 vehicles. *ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5w-20: This oil has been set as the Toyota genuine engine oil, starting in February 2006 for the US. This oil is superior in terms of fuel economy, engine protection, and cold starting performance. *ILSAC GF-4 SAE 0W-20: This oil has even better fuel efficiency and cold starting performance than 5W-20. Initial application for 0W-20 is in the 2006 model year 2AZ-FE engine and will be used in new engines to be developed. *Engines using ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5W-30: AZ series, GR series, JZ series, JZ series, MZ series, NZ series, RZ series, UZ series, VZ series, 1ZZ-FE, 2TR-FE. *Engines using ILSAC GF-4 0W-30 (beginning with 2006 model year): 2AZ-FE Camry, 2AZ-FE Solara, 2AZ-FE highlander, 2AZ-FE RAV4 (ACA#3). **************************** NOTE!!!!!) DO NOT use these oils in engines other than those listed above. These low-viscosity oils cannot maintain lubrication effectiveness in engines with older designs and could result in smok
e emissions from the tailpipe and/or unusual engine noise.
Could you provide a link? I searchd google and nothing came up matching that date.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If you give me your e-mail I will send you the bullitin. It's in pdf format so I can't post it. It says what I have written. Toyota doesn't send service bullitins to Google.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The TC will be using the 5W-20 oil and dealerships will begin to start using the new oil as the old stocks are phased out.
If I read this correctly the tC will be using the 0w-20

Initial application for 0W-20 is in the 2006 model year 2AZ-FE engine and will be used in new engines to be developed.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
.... Toyota doesn't send service bullitins to Google.
But normally they do get posted online. Atl east that is where I have discovered them i nthe past.

heathenbrewing@hotmail.com.

Thanks for the info Scott!
I just posted it online and you have discovered it now.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Billman
If I read this correctly the tC will be using the 0w-20

Initial application for 0W-20 is in the 2006 model year 2AZ-FE engine and will be used in new engines to be developed.
You did not read this correctly. I tis not specifically listed in the list following 0W-20 use.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So then enlighten me on which version of the motor will be using this engine oil weight.
I'm not an expert on toyota's engines and which cars have a 2az-fe, but it seems all the other ones are using 0w-30, so which version are they stating they are using 0w-20 in?
Old 04-05-2006, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You did not read this correctly. I tis not specifically listed in the list following 0W-20 use.
Nor was it listed under 5w-20 however it does say that they're using 0w-20 in 06 2az-fe and if this bulletin was sent to scion owners, I would think they are refering to our engine.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But normally they do get posted online. Atl east that is where I have discovered them i nthe past.

Nevermind.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Billman
Nor was it listed under 5w-20 however it does say that they're using 0w-20 in 06 2az-fe and if this bullitin was sent to scion owners, I would think they are refering to our engine.
*Engines using ILSAC GF-4 0W-30 (beginning with 2006 model year): 2AZ-FE Camry, 2AZ-FE Solara, 2AZ-FE highlander, 2AZ-FE RAV4 (ACA#3).
NOTE!!!!!) DO NOT use these oils in engines other than those listed above.
This recommendation is for 2006-2007 vehicles. *ILSAC GF-4 SAE 5w-20: This oil has been set as the Toyota genuine engine oil, starting in February 2006 for the US.
The TC is not listed as using 0W-20. All 06-07 Toyota and Scion vehicles will use the 5W-20.
if this bullitin was sent to scion owners,
This bullitin was not sent to anyone. It is a new bullitin that came out on TIS. This is a database for Toyota technicians. I am a Toyota Technician. I thought some may find it interesting. I may have to rethink sharing some of this information in the future if I have to go to this much trouble each time. I cannot publish the bullitins as they are the property of TMS and in pdf format so it would be a real hassle. I did however personally type out the bullitin in its entirity so people could have this new info. You have the info I have, you are free to draw any conclusions you see fit.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Nevermind.
The bullitin was written on 3-29-06, that was 5 business days ago. I'll be sure to let Toyota know that you need them posted to Google in a more timely manner.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: New Toyota oil recommendation

Okay, see that above? Do the 2006 cars have a 2006 2AZ-FE or are they using a different model year motor for 2006 cars, like a 2005 2AZ-FE?

We are all reading it as 2006 model year cars with a 2AZ-FE get 0W-20 AND will also get used in new egines to be developed.

Please, don't let your patience get short. We just happen to see conflicting info such as
Engines using ILSAC GF-4 0W-30 (beginning with 2006 model year): 2AZ-FE Camry, 2AZ-FE Solara, 2AZ-FE highlander, 2AZ-FE RAV4 (ACA#3).
Does this not apply to the tC? ---I guess not, so,maybe we need to put a note at the top saying it doesn't apply to Scion at all...
Old 04-06-2006, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Give me your e-mail and I will send you the bullitin exactly as I have recieved it. It should be much clearer when you see the original. It does not specifically list the TC as using the 0W-20 oil and the note below the list says: DO NOT use these oils in engines other than those listed above. So, I would have to conclude that the TC is not one of the cars using the 0W-20, but one of the cars using 5W-20. I can call technical tomorrow and get an official ruling on this matter if needed. What definately applies to Scions is the fact that the initial production of 06 models were shipped from the factory with SAE 5W-30 SM oil and starting in February 2006, the oil was changed to ILSAC GF-4 5W-20.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just want to run 0w30. I wish they'd say I could.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for clearing that up. Our cars get 5W-20, and the bullitin above doesn't apply to us. Fair enough. That's all we needed clairification on. The bullitin ONLY applies to Toyota branded vehicles.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The bullitin is for all 06-07 Toyota & Scion vehicles.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So since you've concluded that the tC doesn't use 0w-20, than which 2AZ-FE engine are they speaking of that is using it. It's not the camry, solara, highlander ,or RAV-4 and from what I could gather from reviewing Toyota's lineup, there is no other Toyota/Scion other than the tC using this engine. I'm not trying to be a kerk, and I understand you're very knowledgable, however what you've typed and what you're stating is conflicting information. I'm trying to find out through Scion but if you can get addition information, please let us know.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What he typed is the information direct from Toyota. He isn't just making this up.

Since we are likely unaware of all the details of the entire Toyota line, there may very well be other vehicles, especially in FUTURE PRODUCTION, that could use a 2AZ based engine and be operated in cold climates where 0W-20 would be the preferred choice.

This is the result of a Toyota engineering change that will take place starting at some point in the 2006 model year, FOR SOME MODELS ("will be used in new engines to be developed").

For RIGHT NOW it doesn't appear to directly affect any current Scion.

Quick Reply: New Toyota oil recommendation