Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Oil droppings!! Rear main seal needs to be replaced @ 58,991

Old 01-18-2008, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Oil droppings!! Rear main seal needs to be replaced @ 58,991

so yesterday as i was outside trying to get a dent out of my hood using the compressed air method:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...07061&start=20
my sis noticed some oil droppings left by my car. i checked the oil and it was BELOW the "L"
then i realized that i was on my driveway which is not level

parked on the street, waited an hour, then checked again and this time i'm at the "L." i still had about 1,000mi's to go before my next check up. always take it to toyota so if anything goes wrong they have only themselves to blame. they've always taken care of me tho

took my car to toyota today and sure enough i'm leakin oil @ the rear main seal thingamajig. has anyone else had this problem thus far? is this normal after 3yrs/58,900+ mi's? what else do i have to look forward to? (open ended question, i know, just wondering if those over 60,000 have had common tC problems i should look for).
as you can tell by the simple fact that i called it a thingamajig, i'm NEW
Old 01-18-2008, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ANOTHER question i had is that i'm plannin on going S/C'd as soon as i can gather the money...... is this a good idea? i may get the extended warranty, which i'm just in time for cuz i'm a hair under the 60,000mi mark.
i also have an I/H in the garage and exhaust is in my future as well.
if i'm going to start running into problems should i bother w/ performance upgrades?
Old 01-18-2008, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the oil leak covered under the powertrain warrantee I think you have up to 60k miles, maybe worth checking? If you are going for the Scion supercharger you should be okay. The parts themselves in most cases will not cause issues it is how you have the parts installed, and how you drive and of course your luck. Exhaust should not cause any problems.

As for extended warrantees my opinion is since you own a Toyota product, and are going to mod your car don’t bother because Toyota’s are reliable and because they will just try to point at the mods as the cause of the problem. You will have to fight for anything you want covered. You are better off saving the money incase something goes wrong. If you are putting 20k miles a year on your car you will end up hitting the mileage limitation of the warrantee real quick, if you finance it you probably wont be done paying it off before it is up. Just me 0.02.

For some an extended warrantee provides piece of mind and if that is the case and it make you feel better then go for it. It is kinda like an insurance policy most of the time you don't need it, but once in a while you do.

Good luck and hope it gets taken care of for you.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thankfully it was in fact covered under warranty and i'll be getting it back tomorrow FREE of charge (insert heavenly music here )

how much do you think this would have cost me? i guess i could ask them tomorrow when i pick 'er up.

thank you, MoScion, for your insight! definitely taking your kind words into consideration!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad to hear it was covered, that is great news. Let us know if you find out the cost.

Another nice thing about Toyota is if they find a lot of people with a common issue they will extend the warrantee on that faulty part for usually 100k miles.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

talked to toyota regarding purchasing the extended warranty today.
they told me that since i've put so many miles on it that the only type of warranty they could sell me was a used car warranty. so instead of getting it warranted up to 100,000 they're offering me a 2yr/24,000 warranty for $1250 ummmmmmmm
Old 01-19-2008, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sounds bogus. Call Troy Deitrich at Toyota of Greenfield 413-772-0231. He's hooked a lot of us here up with the Toyota Extended Warranty at a phenomenal price.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^sounds rad but will he warranty me all the way out here in cali?

JUST got home from the dealership. kept 'er for 24 hrs. guess it was a big job. i asked which seal it was exactly and it's the main seal between the transmission and engine.
asked the guy how much it woulda cost if i didn't have the warranty and he said "ohhhhhhhh about $1000."

does that sound right?? because OMG maybe gettin that extended warranty is a good idear. 'specially if Mr. Troy Deitrich can take care of me from so far away :D

so anyways, the mechanic pulls around the corner w/ my car and i'm just about ready to go home. i sit down and turn the key and...... NOTHIN. try it again....... SILENCE. not even that clicking sound that, correct me if i'm wrong, the alternator makes when it really, really wants to start.
i tell one of the guys "it uhhhhhh won't start."
i had a feeling that i knew what it was so i took my lil nylon trash can out that hangs off my gear stick and threw away my trash (you'll understand why i'm sweatin in a minute).
3 more mechanics come around the corner and they're pokin around for a couple minutes and finally it starts. he takes it around back cuz he has to reset something and i asked what happened. apparently the gear box (?) that won't let you start the car unless it's in Park had slipped a lil.

i let my trash get too heavy and it would pull on my gear stick and apparently, eventually it'll slip outta place. (that's what i think happened anyways) my bad
Old 01-19-2008, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, Troy can sell you Toyota's extended warranty regardless of where you live. I bought mine over the phone from him. I'm in PA, he's in Mass.

Again, I'm not sure if that mileage issue the other dealer told you is legit or not, but Troy will give you the lowdown on your options.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the rear engine seal is a cheap part. most of the cost is labor becasue they have to pull everything out to get to it. $1000 is high but not unexpected, you can find soembody to do it for less than dealer prices.
I had a rear engine seal leak once when I switched to sythetic oil on a high mileage car. I didn't know this was notorious for bringing out leaks from seals hardened by dino oil. Since the car was old I didn't replace the seal I just used thicker oil to slow down the leak.
the extended warranty is a bad deal for the cost I don't recommend it.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would agree about the extended warranty not being cost effective, at usual MSRP. Troy, however, will sell the 7 Yr 100K mile Platinum warranty which is basically bumper to bumper for $745. I think that's entirely reasonable.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the replies, party people. this happened the day after i got it back:

check it out: here
Old 01-29-2008, 03:19 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats some mad positive camber YO
Old 01-29-2008, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
thats some mad positive camber YO
don'tchoo know how i roll?

DUCK DODGERS FTW
Old 09-18-2015, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by giimmelub
thanks for the replies, party people. this happened the day after i got it back:

check it out: here

deng going back 2 the future?