Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Precut Window Tint or Rolls

Old 09-24-2013, 04:30 PM

Default Precut Window Tint or Rolls

Hi Everyone,

This is a general question about tinting so I apologize if it's in the wrong place. In general, do you guys prefer to use precut kits or rolls of film? IF you prefer precut kits does it matter to you if its a complete (all window kit) or do you look for visor only, front only etc?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just curious, why wouldn't you take it to a proffessional? I hardly ever see a home-tint job look decent.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:56 PM

I know I would need to take it to a pro but I have seen (and have personally edited hundreds of photos of customer installed tint) great jobs done by DIYers. If you have the skills and you know what you're doing you can pay $39.99 for a complete, precut set as opposed to $170 to have installed. In fact, I just had a similar conversation with some members of the Hyundai forum and posted about it here: http://hyundai-window-tints.blogspot...-of-films.html
Old 09-25-2013, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand it can be done, and done well. But to the average modder this is one of the first things done. This could get sketchy easy I would imagine. For the price, It isn't too bad to have a pro do it, especially if you're on 2nd or 3rd attempt with a kit.

Again, not trying to bash you. Just curious.

To answer your question though, I would assume it would be easier to do a roll of tint? slap it on and trim as needed? That sounds a bit easier than trying to line up things. I looked into both home-methods when I got my tC, but ultimately decided to leave it to a pro.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:51 PM

Yeah, I completely get that. Tinting is no joke and, as I said earlier, I definitely wouldn't be able to do it myself. From what I've seen doing the roll/sheet is much harder for a DIYer, if I had to choose I would go precut. Anyway, thanks for the interesting discussion and have a good one!
Old 09-25-2013, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm guessing the size of the roll would have a huge effect on how easy install would go. I imagine side windows would be easy, but the hatch scares me. haha.

And no problem. I've worked with vinyl and that's a huge pain. I wonder if that would be similar to window tint.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:04 PM

The size would matter but the bigger it is, the harder it would be. Window tint is a particularly difficult thing to work with and vinyl is easy by comparison. You can release bubbles in vinyl but no such luck with window tint.