Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Washing the tC

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Washing the tC

I washed the tC 2 times this week, but today when I washed it, I got one of those extra absorbent towels and dryed it off completely. When I got home I realized that there's white spots everywhere. Did I do something wrong? Is it bad soap? This is my first new car so if I could get some tips on how to wash it properly, that would be great.

Thank you!!

'05 tC IIP (still don't know what to name it)
Old 12-19-2004, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Sorry! I didn't mean to post it twice!
Old 12-19-2004, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You mention that you used an absorbant towel...like an "absorber", or a bath towel....cause that would be a no no, in my book.

Do you mean dried up water spots?
Old 12-19-2004, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like hard water stains. The only easy fix is to use water that's been thru a water softener. If that's not an option all you can do is dry the car quickly and try to not ever let any water dry by itself on the car. Probably you will have to wash the car one body panel at a time instead of the whole thing at once.

A pain, but once you get used to doing it that way its not much more work than usual.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigKid
You mention that you used an absorbant towel...like an "absorber", or a bath towel....cause that would be a no no, in my book.
??

Zaino Bros. recommend using a white 100% cotton bath towel to dry.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...S&Store_Code=Z
Old 12-19-2004, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

It's a towel made for drying cars, I can't remember the exact name, I bought it at the auto parts store.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member

i strongly strongly recommend mr. clean's autodry car wash thing. it works really really well because I let mine air dry and there are no water spots.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:03 AM
5 Year Member

im assuming your talking about the "Absorber" <the actual name of the towel... i have used those towels and only those and they work really well... i agree with what was said above about hard water stains.. but the absorber recommends that you wash it first before you start drying the car... right out of the container they have conditioners soaked in them, maybe its a possibility that cause spots guessing it didnt dry the car properly... i dunno just a guess though
Old 12-19-2004, 05:35 AM
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

If you read the Mothers or Meguiars tips on car care, they reccommend cotton towels like mrtc said.

White spots are most likely water spots, almost always a result of hard water. Either that or you didn't get all of the soap off after you washed it.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The towel you guys are trying to talk about is a Terry Cloth, you can get them at any autoparts store or like Wal-Mart in the auto department. Or use a static free cloth you will know what that it because it will feel really weird on your skin. Well i hope that helps.

Bryan
Nashville, TN
Old 12-19-2004, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mr. Clean Autodry all the way
Old 12-19-2004, 07:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how about those squeegy things, then finish witha towel. Are those squeegies any good?
Old 12-19-2004, 08:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

happened to me once. I found that later on that it's b/c I didnt dry them properly or completely, thus the water with soap in them dried on my car instead and causing the white spot u see.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by cinccycat
how about those squeegy things, then finish witha towel. Are those squeegies any good?

California Water Blades work great. I always use it before I go over the car with a towel. They do not scratch and make drying a breeze.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member

mr. clean is the best... so is the water blade
Old 12-19-2004, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

For as long as I can remember, I've used all the "recommended" drying solutions. Over the years using a terry cloth really never worked for me, I didn't like the results I was getting out of a chamois, then I tweaked how I was washing the car even before I started to dry it. Things like what you wash your car with, will either help remove contaminant off the car, or just drag it along the paint, and not really pick it up and trap the dirt. IMO the ultimate secret to a nice clean job is how the car is washed. More suds + Good wash mitt (LAMBS WOOL) + patience = a better result. I would hate to assume that your just washing the car, and that it. So much goes into keep your car look nice on the outside, just like you would I the inside.

But with evolution of car care products out there, I do believe that there are several ways you can go about taking care of your car.

I don't agree or disagress with any one method. Some methods work for different people, after 4yrs, I've come to religiously use the absorber, and not just one, I have 3-4. They are taken care of just like as other tools I use to clean the car.

With the except of all the other necessary things that need to be done in order for you to maintain the car original shine and luster.

Just by reading these posts, you can probably know draw your own conclusion. These are all really good ways to go about the job.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the absorber? is that what its called, where can i get one cause i keep hearing all these good things about it!?
Old 12-20-2004, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by blue ink tc
the absorber? is that what its called, where can i get one cause i keep hearing all these good things about it!?
Wal-Mart, it comes in a couple different colors, its in a clear plastic container with a black label. They come in yellow, blue, red, and I don't know about other colors.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but I have the Mr Clean's Auto Dry thing on the hose... works great.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got the absorber and I don't even use it - unless mine is defective, it really doesn't absorb very well at all. Don't get me wrong - it can pick up a lot of water, but if your car is waxed or polished, it shouldn't hold that much. I get it very clean and then I use the california water blade (works great as long as you're careful) to displace most of the water, and then I wanted the absorber to pick up everything that was left. It doesn't. It leaves lots of water streaks. I got a big pack of microfiber towels and they work great. I think the Absorber is old technology - just one step up from a real chamoise, mostly because you can wash it easier. Get microfiber towels if you really care about your car. They work great.

Quick Reply: Washing the tC