Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Water Leak

The front passenger floor seems to be wet a lot. What do you think is causing this? I checked all windows there's nothing leaking through. Also checked from under the hood and there's nothing leaking through. The only other thing is my A/C what do you think??

Thanks
Old 10-25-2003, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you run your A/C a lot? and do you have the air source set to the outside or the recirculating air? I don't know about the xB (and I don't run my A/C a whole lot in my xA here in the Bay area) but I know on my Mustang the condenser coil for the A/C was in the passenger side kick panel (the area above their feet but below the glove box?) So maybe the xB has something similar, if you run your A/C for a while feel up in that space and find a cold and wet section of plastic... more than likely just and A/C thing
Old 10-25-2003, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do run my A/C a lot, almost everyday and also with the recirculating air.

I figured it would have been the A/C.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2003, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member

Check under the passenger side rail guards. That is where your back windshield washer hose runs through. Might be pinched
Old 10-25-2003, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I figured it out. I decided to pull out the carpet and once I starting to pull out the front I noticed a rubber tube just sitting there not plugged in anything. It's abou 4 inches in length and it hooks up to some white plastic box behind the dash and goes through the floor. Anyone with big feet can easily hit it and knock it off and cause some water leakage in the cab.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by kidkamel
Well I figured it out. I decided to pull out the carpet and once I starting to pull out the front I noticed a rubber tube just sitting there not plugged in anything. It's abou 4 inches in length and it hooks up to some white plastic box behind the dash and goes through the floor. Anyone with big feet can easily hit it and knock it off and cause some water leakage in the cab.
This just saved me the $175 diagnostic testing the dealership was going to do tomorrow !!!

I have been worried about this leak ... too worried to just look it up.

But after I looked for the little tube, I reconnected it and drove around with the AC on .. and no drips... I hope this will also fix the drip I was getting when it rained.

Thank you!!
Old 06-28-2007, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You are so welcome!!!!

I placed a clamp on it to scure it as well, it has not slipped off since the posting above.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

See also: http://tijil.org/Scion_TSBs/ac00505.pdf

Old 05-06-2010, 09:00 PM

Reviving an old (but potentially VERY helpful) thread, does anyone have any knowledge of how this might apply to the tc? I am having the very same issue and just wondering if someone can point me in the right area to look for what might be a detached hose.

Thank you in advance!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The hvac system is located behand the glovebox and water fall. it's big and made of off-white plastic. the hoses for the heater core are on the left side. I have heard of bugs living in the cooler drain hose causing the a/c's condensation to overflow inside the car. It should come out in the engine bay by the firewall. You would have to clear it with a wire of some sort.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:27 AM

Thank you for the insight. Would the drain hole be my first choice in troubleshooting? And if so, where on the firewall am I looking for it? It's dark out now so I'm not able to even begin looking.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm 90% sure that's your issue because if it was the heater core you would be loosing coolant and your engine would over heat(Check the coolant level to be safe). IDK exactly where the tube is but it drains somewhere around the firewall. Next time i use my a/c I'll try to find where the water drains and get back to you.
Attached Thumbnails Water Leak-screen-capture-43.jpg  
Old 05-07-2010, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So i went out and took a look at my car and if you peel back the forward left corner of the carpeting in the passengers floor well you can see it. It's a rubber hose going from the hvac unit to a grommet in the firewall. It pulls out easily.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow! Didn't realize how important this thread really was.

I still have the exact same clamp on there and haven't had an issue.

Glad to see my thread was so useful
Old 05-08-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad1024
So i went out and took a look at my car and if you peel back the forward left corner of the carpeting in the passengers floor well you can see it. It's a rubber hose going from the hvac unit to a grommet in the firewall. It pulls out easily.
I really appreciate you checking on this, it's early but later I will go check this out.

Since you're saying the hose is on the passenger side, should I be concerned that the leak seems to be more on the drivers side?
Old 05-10-2010, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it's clogged then the condensation will collect in the hvac unit until it finds a somewhere to leak from. I actually had this happen in my home a/c and the thing would put out 1.5 gallons an hour and flooded my basement but before the water got to the floor it had to go through the heater and now it's rusted and has electrical issues. If you're not having any other problems(a/c or heat not working/engine overheating) this should be your problem because there's no other liquid there.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member

I just noticed large amounts of clear water accumulating on the passenger side floor of my 2006 xB. When I take tight turns the water seems to "pour" out from the side opposite of the turn I'm making. One symptom that I'm also having that nobody else has mentioned is that my fan makes a weird dripping/gurgling noise when I turn it on along with the air conditioning. Does this sound like the same loose hose problem, or are these symptoms of something else?
Old 06-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds more like a plugged drain hose, but in any case the drain hose is where I'd start my search...
Old 10-29-2013, 06:40 AM

As hesitant as I am to resurrect this now 10 YEAR OLD thread, I thought it better for posterity to ask here instead of starting a brand new thread for one more detail on this topic.

Here's my question: Anyone know the diameter of the drain hose?

I know it's about 4 inches long. Mine is completely missing. I vaguely remember the previous owner saying they saw a hose dangling on the passenger side and didn't know what it was, so they yanked it out. I have no problem hitting up the local parts store and getting a hose and a clamp, but I'd like to have an idea of the approximate interior/exterior diameter ahead of time.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ten years almost to the day, Dan!

Hopefully someone with a Gen 1 xB will come to your aid - if I still had mine, I'd go out and take a look (I traded Vanilla in May for an xD).

(I'll ask some of my xB friends if they know the size. If I find out, I'll post it up here.)

AND, this is exactly the right place to ask - in a ten year old thread.

Take care!

Quick Reply: Water Leak