Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Wax that doesn't dry white

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Wax that doesn't dry white

Guys and gals,

I'm a little disappointed in Meguiars NXT paste wax...on the box it says "will not dry white" which indicates to me that it will not dry white...right?

Well I just used it on my silver car and it dries white. Which means the box was wrong.

Are there any good waxes that do not dry white? My concern really doesn't apply to my silver TC...but a black Mustang that I have...then again, a wax that doesn't dry white would still be great for my TC.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 07-13-2005, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what's the problem if you're going to have to buff the wax out before you're finished with the process anyway???
Old 07-13-2005, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your suppose to wait until it dries to a haze. jus as the instruction says. i have the meguiras wax too and it perfectly works fine. all you gotta do is wax it on then wait for it to dry, then wipe it off clean with a microfiber cloth.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
what's the problem if you're going to have to buff the wax out before you're finished with the process anyway???
exactly.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you want one that doesnt dry white, get the Armor-All "Wax-As-You-Dry" and then buff it. it is clear, or mostly so. and works fairly well. i switched because the white stuff got into all the cracks in my car I couldn't get it out of.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wrong forum.

moved...
Old 07-13-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, turtle wax makes colored wax. The make a black variant that works great on black cars! (duh!)

I did my sisters Celica with it- worked great at hiding all of her various chips/ gouges on the car!
Old 07-13-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Wow I feel stupid...that post does sound pretty dumb. I didn't explain myself well enough.

I totally understand that you have to buff the wax off after it dries to a haze...

However, when you have a black car (or even a silver one,) the wax gets into the seams between (for example) the bumper and the rear quarter panel. Or between the window molding and the roof/door panel/etc. Then when it dries you have that white wax in the seams/anywhere else it got to where you didn't want it (around door handles is another place.) You can go around with the cardboard portion of a matchstick, a tool they sell at the auto parts store, etc. but you never end up getting it all (not to mention the fact that it takes a lot of time to hit every nook and cranny.) And I'm not even talking about gobs of wax...just a trace is enough to make a wax job look crappy.

The Mequiars NXT was specifically says "does not dry white" on the back of the box. Which would be great if true because then, if you did get a little bit of wax in a spot that is hard to get to, it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb and look like ____.

Know what I mean?
Old 07-13-2005, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Be more careful where you get the wax when you wax your ride. That should fix your problem.
Also some waxes will not stan the trim so they may work better. A few I know of are S100, P21S, Meg #26
Old 07-14-2005, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use painters tape and tape off any areas in seams and such, it won't stick to the paint or leave goo behind.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member

Shining monkeyyyyyyyyy ...this stuff is awesome!

www.shiningmonkey.com
Old 07-15-2005, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If all you're worried about is wax gettin in the cracks and what not just go buy a paint brush ( 1 1/2 inch) cut the bristle off leaving about and inch. This is perfect for gettin gwax out of cracks. As far as the black trim pieces go you just gotta be careful. Oh and you might try using NANO wax it's dust free. I use if and it's great. FYI: i used to work in a detail shop so i know this stuff really works
Old 07-15-2005, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member

i use klasse high gloss. goes on easy. comes off easy. no white crap. i think it's one of the better if not best synthetics.

http://www.autogeek.net/klashiggloss.html
Old 07-15-2005, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Wax that doesn't dry white

Originally Posted by cpa5oh
Guys and gals,

I'm a little disappointed in Meguiars NXT paste wax...on the box it says "will not dry white" which indicates to me that it will not dry white...right?

Well I just used it on my silver car and it dries white. Which means the box was wrong.

Are there any good waxes that do not dry white? My concern really doesn't apply to my silver TC...but a black Mustang that I have...then again, a wax that doesn't dry white would still be great for my TC.

Thanks,
Dan
What color would you like it to dry? Purple? Maybe fuschia? It dries white, but leaves no flaky white junk when you wipe it off. It works better than any other wax in that regard.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by jboogz
If all you're worried about is wax gettin in the cracks and what not just go buy a paint brush ( 1 1/2 inch) cut the bristle off leaving about and inch. This is perfect for gettin gwax out of cracks. As far as the black trim pieces go you just gotta be careful. Oh and you might try using NANO wax it's dust free. I use if and it's great. FYI: i used to work in a detail shop so i know this stuff really works
so the nano stuff is good eh? i've been using meguires gold liquid and have been dying to try the nano but cant afford to buy more wax when i have like 8 bottles at home. is it really that good? is it indeed worth it ?
Old 07-16-2005, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok the Meguires Gold Liquid is like the Bently of wax so you're still good. But the Nano is a close second and there is no dust . I love it and it's worth a try. Matter of fact if you go to a H.I.N. or NOPI show you should be able to pick up a free sample. Thats where i found out about it.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a black ride and use a wax that dries white. however, I have no problem like you describe. I used to before I found some great tips...

sounds like you need to cut back on the amount of wax you're using. I don't mean in total, but for a given portion of the car. a little should go a long way for a good quality wax. I like to wax just portions or parts - like the fender or the hood. if that's not the case...

always wax along a gap or a seam, not back and forth across it. 'outline' the fender or hood or door and then fill it in. you'll notice a huge reduction in the amount of wax left behind that you can just never seem to get rid of.

the Turtle colored wax is good and it does hide nicks and tiny scratches. it works really well on dark colors and helps reduce oxidation. however, it's pretty lame in adding any kind of shine.

you can always wipe off the dried and hazed wax w/ a microfiber towel that's been sprayed w/ a detail spray. detail spray is great - don't know what I ever did w/o it. really helps out on those plastic and rubber parts that touch the paint.

BTW, for all of you weekend warrior, clean and wax your car compadres - why no mention of Mother's? I use Mother's clay bar, polish, wax and detail spray and my car looks better than the day I got it. I think it looks as shiny as Lonley Raven's. he's got to have one of the best cared for cars around. he turned me onto some car care tips and I couldn't be happier.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member

Out of all the wax that I have use including meguiras and turtle, I ran into one that I now will always use ever since two weeks ago. It only haze and very easy to to get off from those between. I don't know if any of you have use this yet but this is now my new favorite wax. It's Nanowax from EagleOne. You could get it from any auto store and link is below.

Link: http://www.eagleone.com/_products/3,2081616.asp
Old 07-20-2005, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used this stuff today and I wish I had that paint brush.
I've got the gray car and the lines around the handles and all have a little bit of white flakes in them.
This was my first time trying to EVER wax a car and I didn't do too badly. I'd paid the car wash today to do it and this place eff'ed up pretty good. There were drip marks down my car in various places. I got upset about it and instead of trying to wipe them out with force, I used my tin of NXT I picked up at Target a few months ago for $7.40 at went to it from 3-4 pm in the heat of the day.
I'm going to use my stoners trim shine on the little spots where the wax hit the bottom tomorrow
Old 07-20-2005, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member

i guess no one likes synthetics...altho i really do vouch for Klasse.

if you want the highest quality carnauba, i'm surprised no one mentioned Zymol. it worked great on my black audi. not much residue, and deep gloss.

http://www.zymol.com/

Quick Reply: Wax that doesn't dry white