Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

What is up with dealerships putting to much oil in the car??

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What is up with dealerships putting to much oil in the car??

The Honda dealership I goto always does this. I was a little upset to see that my Toyota dealership does the same. Unfortunately it was raining when I left so I did not really get a chance to check the oil until later when the rain stopped.

The oil is about 40% above the highpoint line and the first of the 2 bumps on the dipstick. Is this going to be a danger for the oil getting into the crankshaft? I do not want cappuccino oil. Why does every dealership I goto put to much oil in it??!?!?
Old 12-23-2004, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i always thought its not good to overfill. when i change the oil in my old car, i made sure i get just to the full line. i'll be sure to check my level when i go for my first oil change at the dealership
Old 12-23-2004, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SLOPPY techs should not do this bring it to the attn of the service manager they should comp you an oil change for the
major inconvence ive never left a customers car over or under filled! tell these dealers you will go elsewhere for serviceing
Old 12-23-2004, 11:23 PM
Banned
SL Member

talk to the service manager, let them do it again!
Old 12-23-2004, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can't overfilling blow a seal or something?
Old 12-23-2004, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
talk to the service manager, let them do it again!
yup this will solve the problem
Old 12-23-2004, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When the car is delivered, pop the hood and check the oil. If it is too high or too low tell the service manager on the spot.

I've done this ever since a friend's car was delivered to him with 1.5 quarts in the crankcase.

"Trust, but verify." - Russian saying
Old 12-24-2004, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can they remove the oil without changing it again or what? Should I have them change it again? I tried to check the oil when I left but it was raining to much and water was getting all in the engine and did not want it to get in the oil thing.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

zizi..

you're not alone stupid honda techs would do that too on my old civic.. so i gave them my own oil.. and asked for the oil back.. then i could see exactly how much they put in..

the scion dealer did this too.. i was about 300 miles into the oil change.. and noticed the oil (was busy forgot to check) was about 1/2 quart high.. they did drain it out but I took it to another dealership who did do it right.. i don't think 300 miles did much if any damage.. it's repeated abuse like that, that will eventually ruin the engine..
Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I notice this and was going to post a thread about it but here we are. After my first oil change I notice the oil was an inch above the top line or whole of the dip stick. I change my oil 3 weeks ago. Should I go back to the dealer and consult with them or ask them to drain some of it? I hope it's not to late.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

After running the car for 30 sec I check the dipstick and it looks like it's about one inch above the full mark dot. Is this something I should worry? Will it cause any damage or is it way too overfill?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Oil needs to be checked when motor is off and has been off for at least say 20 minutes so all the oil gets into the pan.Otherwise you are not gettign an accurate readin on what is in the motor.And yes it is bad to over fill the motor with oil.it can damage the motor....jsut take it back in and have them make it the right level.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm calling them up tomorrow and going to ask them to level it back to full not overfull
Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I went to my buddies shop to day to drain all the oil out in to a measurable container, it turns out to be just a centimeter close to 5 quarts. The dipstick show a double length up from the full marker which is clearly 1 quart more of an overfill and I was right after the drain. I know it takes 1 quart from low level marker to the full. I was ____, I wasn't able to take the car to the dealer since it is very far from where I live and I can't do it today.
I won't be free till next tuesday so I said F it and had to do it my self. OK I call the Lustine Toyota dealer and told them what happen and the service person said is not going to harm the car with an additional quart. Still I said the manual clearly says (do not over fill which cause engine damage.) Who knows if they even use the oil that I requested which was mobile 1 synthetic 5-w20 oil. Looks like they got oil from the big reserve, because I don't think mobile one comes in big tanks like regular oil. Then I got pass on to the service manager and told him what happen, he said we won't do any thing that will damage your car and said is not necessarily to do what I did. He told me he will talk to the person who change the oil.
jeez I wonder how many cars out there are being overfill.

So I bought 4 quarts of mobile 1 and ditch the old oil and pour my new oil and kept the same filter since I know is new.
So far the car runs great and there is no evidence of damage what so ever.
My next last free service I will check right afterward and will be providing my own 4 quarts synthetic and also will ask them to give me back the empty oil bottles.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, a four-year dead thread comes back to life!

I wouldn't trust dealer mechanics to do anything out of the ordinary, which is to drain the oil, replace the filter (if they happen to remember) and then to add a random amount of oil between 1.5qts and 5 quarts, probably SAE10W30.

If you give them Mobil 1, it'll probably find its way into the mechanic's car with your car being filled from the bulk tank. It's awfully hard to tell the difference between Mobil 1 and ordinary oil after the engine has been run.

I had the dealer do the first three oil changes and every time I ended up spending more time and money schlepping the car back and forth and fixing the little screwups (tar on roof from "free courtesy carwash", clean oil off of crossmember, etc.) than I would have spent changing it myself.

Once you do it a couple of times the complete change takes about 30 minutes even for a non-pro like me. The only tricky bit is making absolutely sure that the oil goes into the fill hole because if you spill it it will end up in the spark plug cavities. If you cut the top off of a mobil 1 bottle it makes a great funnel, even screwing nicely into the fill opening so you can't spill!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

shush about the thread being old you all have no right to _____ with all the stupid "search before asking" crap i see. thats what happends.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Varsis
shush about the thread being old you all have no right to biscuit with all the stupid "search before asking" crap i see. thats what happends.
I'm not "biscuiting" (if that means what I think it means). I was just remarking on an unusual occurrence. Sorry I offended you.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

so what varsis? bringing a old thread back to life is not bad is better then making a new once which i was going to do.
If you have noting to say and typed works that is not related to the topic just complain else where
Old 12-14-2008, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ....PURE RAGE for the STEALERSHIPS....

MILLER TOYOTA in MANASSAS VIRGINIA....
Same treatment but worse:

1. Miller Toyota overfilled my crank case by about 1 quart.
2. Miller Toyota did not check the dip stick so this 'mistake' was not discovered.
3. Miller Toyota stripped the threads on my magnetic oil plug.
4. Miller Toyota slightly stripped the threads on my oil pan. (still works but tight)
5. Miller Toyota service manager would not answer questions like: If I blow a seal, who pays for that? Why waste time and money overfilling crank cases? Why is the dip stick not checked?
6. Miller Toyota had me bring my car back so they could do an oil letting.
7. Miller Toyota got oil all over the nice white engine compartment with thier rags.
8. Miller Toyota banned me from SCION events due to my complaints about this oil change.

DO YOUR OWN OIL CHANGES to avoid this treatment!!!

Do not expect any "I'm sorry"s or "that will never happen again"'s. Dealers will continue to use time saving shortcuts and they know very few people will complain, so it is cost effective.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A lot of the fill errors are due to the use of bulk oil that is fed into the car via a hose and nozzle. The nozzle has a dial on it that determines the amount of oil to be dispensed, If the mechanic doesn't properly set the dial or if the meter is defective you'll get the wrong amount of oil.

Like the last poster noted, the only defense is to avoid the dealer entirely.

Quick Reply: What is up with dealerships putting to much oil in the car??