Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

windshield wiper specs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default windshield wiper specs.

(I did a search first...no hazing..... )

Windshield wiper specs and could not find anything. All it told me was how to operate and use the washer fluid......... am I missing something?
Anyway, Time to replace the wiper blades, anyone have the size???
How do you replace the rear wiper?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-21-2005, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I just asked the attendant at the store for wipers. He should be able to tell you what size. I happen to forget the size, but I'll go look for the blister package when I get home (if it's still around). It should be written on there...
Old 03-21-2005, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It might be more helpful to call the subject of your post "Windshield wiper specs" instead of "I looked in the manual for......"
Old 03-21-2005, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

According to Tire Rack, they are 20" on each side.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shangtsung
It might be more helpful to call the subject of your post "Windshield wiper specs" instead of "I looked in the manual for......"
Right you are.....I'm wicked smaaaahhhhtt kid.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Tape measure time...
Old 03-21-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, easy enough, Use a tape measure or just ask someone at an auto parts store........ but what about the rear wiper? How the hell do you replace that?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Matt,

I believe the driver side is 24 inches and the passenger side is 15.5 inches, the rear is like 11.75 inches. I know what ur thinking, "Where am I gonna get 15.5" wipers?" I ordered mine from brandsport.com. They have all the right stock size. I went into Pep Boys and their recommended replacements were Bosch's Microexcel: 24" for driver and 16" for passenger (which DOES NOT FIT properly). I promptly returned them and placed an order online.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member

Use the Bosch Wipers. I used them on my shoe and they turned out fine. 24 and 17 were the sizes that I used. Hope this helps you out Matt.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright, thanks guys, but does anyone have any info on how to replace the rear wiper or is this just such a dumb question that no one will answere...
Old 03-22-2005, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You dont replace the whole whiper ( I believe) You could just replace the wiper blade... or you can always go into the dealer and pray that the service department has some clue...haha
Old 03-22-2005, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ikhonlord
You dont replace the whole whiper ( I believe) You could just replace the wiper blade... or you can always go into the dealer and pray that the service department has some clue...haha
Right..... then they tell you, ok you want a 11.75 inch blade for the back of your scion......... that will be 69.95....thanks.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Matt, LOL. You really should try www.brandsport.com if you can wait a couple of days. They have real toyota replacement blades. I'm not sure how their prices compare with the dealerships though.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jeffguynyc
Matt, LOL. You really should try www.brandsport.com if you can wait a couple of days. They have real toyota replacement blades. I'm not sure how their prices compare with the dealerships though.
No sh*t, I was looking at the wipers and was trying to figure out if I could just replace the blade or if I had actually buy a whole new wiper.........you picking up what I am putting down? I didn't notice any sort of clip or push in to release the blade that is in there now.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Banned
SL Member

The box is listed as a 20" ( 20-1 ) in PepBoys. The doorstop is listed as 2 different sizes. I had a Neon that was the same way. You have to purchase 2 sets to get the job done.

BTW ... youll be hard pressed to find re-fills. Most parts stores have the replacement. Actually, its not a bad idea, cause the new metal has more spring in it. To keep the wiper snug against the windshield.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: windshield wiper specs.

Originally Posted by mattxb
... How do you replace the rear wiper? ...

I have not tried removing the rear wiper yet. Please let me know if it comes off easy... or if you break the plastic stuff and wish you never tried.

Thanks. RPM
Old 04-12-2005, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RPMxB

I have not tried removing the rear wiper yet. Please let me know if it comes off easy... or if you break the plastic stuff and wish you never tried.

Thanks. RPM
Cool, when I get around to it I will let you know how it goes. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:34 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RPMxB

Thanks. RPM
just replaced my two front wiper inserts each costs from $3.31-$5.21-5.23 got 'em at the dealership

and the whole process took about 10 minutes well 20 for me cause i was watching tv while i was doing it too very easy to do!!!
Old 03-26-2006, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can always go into the dealer and pray that the service department has some clue...haha
I have had a heck of a time finding replacement wipers, or replacement wiper blades, for both the tC and the xB. I went to autozone, o'reillys, pep boys, heck I even went to wal-mart, and none of them had either the driver's side on the tC or the rear on the xB.

Finally I went to the dealer, and after waiting in line for 20 minutes (and I was the second person in line) the conservation went something like this:

"I need two sets of wiper blades, one for an '05 Scion tC and one for an '05 Scion xB."

"We don't have those in stock."

"How does your oil change place replace them when people ask?"

"We cut it to fit."

"Can't you just look at a tC and and xB that you have for sale and cut to fit?"

"Ummm."

So then he gets out five blades, none of which are clearly long enough to work on the driver's side on the tC. I say, ok, I brought my tC, I'll go bring in the blade I need replaced. I go out to my car, take it apart, and bring in the blade. By the time I'm back in he's gotten another blade that is much longer and it will work. So then they send me on my way, wallet 20 bucks lighter for the 5 blades.

I get home, and start cutting them to fit and putting them together. Get both done for the tC no problem, do both fronts on the xB no problem, get to the rear window on the xB, and the new blade won't fit into the blade holder. Turns out the xB rear window uses a narrower guage of rubber.

Drive back to the dealer, this time in the xB, take it back into the dealer along with the original stock wiper blade. Different guy at the parts counter, takes the stock blade from me and disappears for a few minutes. Brings it back, "you sure this was the original blade?" "Yes, its the original". He pokes around in his computer for a while, says they don't have it in stock and will need to order it for me.

What kind of a mickey mouse operation doesn't keep consumable items in inventory? I swear, I should start a blog - something ending in "sucks.com" comes to mind.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:27 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i got my blades they didn't have the rear one in stock they ordered it and next day or two i got my rear blade and installed it

when i got my rear blade they gave me two extra front blades when i ordered 'em