Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Adios Amigos!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Adios Amigos!

Do you remember when Puerto Rico was raising heck about the US Navy using that nothing little island just off the coast of Puerto Rico for bombing practices, which they had used for the past 75 years?

Demonstrations were held; Hollywood left wingers, Al Sharpton, and his fellow demagogues went down there to demonstrate to get the Navy out?

I am sure it infuriated you just as it did me at the time. Well, here is our revenge. Always be careful what you ask for, you just may get it!

One of the many headaches that the U.S. has had was the Puerto Rican island of Vieques. In the waning years of the Clinton Administration protesters demand that the US Navy abandon bombing and naval gunfire exercises that had taken place on the largely uninhabited island for nearly seventy years.

In 2002, the bombing exercises were transferred to an Air Force bombing range in central Florida not far from acksonville and the Pensacola Naval Air Stations. In January, many of the protesters were back in Puerto Rico, celebrating the final bombing exercise on Vieques and waved Puerto Rican flags and placards that read "U. S. Navy, get out of Puerto Rico."

The following February, Rumsfeld announced that the U. S. Navy would close the Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station in Puerto Rico in 2004, eliminating 1200 civilian jobs as well as 700 military positions. That naval facility is estimated to have put nearly $300 million annually into the local economy.

The next day a stunned Governor Sila Calderon, held a news conference in San Juan protesting the base closure as a serious blow to the Commonwealth's fragile economy. The governor stated that, "The people of Puerto Rico don't now or never did have an interest in closing the Vieques bombing range or the Roosevelt Roads naval base. We are interested in both staying in Puerto Rico.

When asked, the Commander-in-Chief, Western Atlatic Command, said, "Without Vieques, I see no further need for the facility at Roosevelt Roads. None."

So, Yankee go home? Fine. But we'll take our dollars with us.
Hasta la vista, baby!

On February 21, the Secretary of Defense also announced that starting this year, the U.S. European Command would begin moving most, if not all, of its active combat and support units from bases in Germany to others being established in Poland, The Czech Republic, Hungary and Turkey to "better position them for rapid deployment to likely hot spots in those parts of the world."

Immediately the business and government leaders in the German states of Hesse, Rinelandand Wurttemburg, protested the loss of nearly $6 billion US revenue each year from the bases and manpower to be displaced. A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry speculated that the move may be, "what the Americans call 'payback' for the actions of this government in opposing Military action in Iraq."
"Does anyone know the Germa translation for: "Hasta la vista, baby?"
I think "Auf Wiedersehen, Mann" is a good translation.

Oh, isn't it nice to see a government with guts and a good memory???

Also, here are some statistics and conclusions about a different subject.

If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000 troops in the Iraq theater of operations during the last 22 months, and a total of 2,112 deaths, when this was written) that gives a firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000 soldiers.

The firearm death rate in Washington D. C. is 80.6 per 100,000 for the same period. (...and that was while handguns were outlawed!!)

That means that you are about 25% more likely to be shot and killed in the U. S. Capitol, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation, than you are in Iraq.

PASS THIS ON 'cuz you can be sure that CNN, NBC, ABC and CBS won't! Conclusion: Just maybe the U.S. should pull out of Washington, D.C. !!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice post!
Old 02-15-2008, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know, I always wondered what became of Vieques, especially with the protesting by celebrities. Makes me that much more happy to have an Air Force bombing range in my county.

By the way, I even got to go to one of their open houses several years ago. A live fire one at that! (Very impressive!)
Old 02-15-2008, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome post.

One of the coolest things I've ever heard was an A-10 sounding off. I expected to hear something like Rat-a-tat-tat-tat-tat. The best way to describe how it really sounded was 'Blarp.' Just like that it must have fired hundreds of rounds.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:30 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and slows the plane down that plane was designed around that gun too
Old 02-15-2008, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 13edge
Awesome post.

One of the coolest things I've ever heard was an A-10 sounding off. I expected to hear something like Rat-a-tat-tat-tat-tat. The best way to describe how it really sounded was 'Blarp.' Just like that it must have fired hundreds of rounds.
A-10's are freaking awesome machines, saw a few at airshows before, they're amazing aircraft, one of my favorites
Old 02-16-2008, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

LOL