Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Buying A Camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Buying A Camera

Finally! I know I want a DSLR camera I just want advice from people who have some experience with em and cars

I have narrowed it down to a few, obviously if anyone finds prices on these camera's cheaper please tell me :] I really like the Nikon, but I love the pricing of the Sony and Canon...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2Eas7tY...spx?I=158A200K
^Sony A200 x/ 18-70mm zoom lens

http://www.jr.com/nikon/pe/NKN_D60_SL_KIT/
Nikon d60 18-55mm AFS DX Nikkor
Maybe even a d40....

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...098&lid=674095
^EOS Digital Rebel XT Silver 8.0 MP Digital SLR Camera (with 18-55 mm Lens)
Old 06-13-2008, 10:52 PM
SL Member

Depending on how much you want to get into it, I would avoid sony. Nikon and Canon have a far superior range of optics and accessories. I'm not fluent on the specific models that you've listed but some things you want to look at for entry level are lens compatibility (some nikons won't work with many of their lenses), low light autofocus and noise control (good forums are dpreview.com, photo.net, and fredmiranda.com). Handling is another important feature many overlook. If the camera is uncomfortable or has an awkward interface it will make you cry every time you use it.
Don't worry so much about megapixels, unless you are going to print really big (bigger than 16"x24") megapixels won't really matter. Also, keep in mind that to get a picture twice the size you have to quadruple the megapixels (ie. 2x8 MP = 32 MP). Don't be sold on just the MP.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sony is lame for photography..go with the canon or the nikon, personally, i'd go with the d60, as it's just an updated version of the d40...
Old 06-13-2008, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

my uncle just bought the d60, he had really done his homework and he seems to stick to nikons. they are sweet cameras.

i havent messed with it yet but if it was me, id go nikon. as far as the model goes, i would go with what i could afford, i doubt that much has changed between the models but im ignorant as to what the changes are. just telling the truth
Old 06-14-2008, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

A few good resources for camera info are
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
www.dpreview.com
www.dcresource.com
Old 06-14-2008, 12:31 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew
SL Member

i just recently bought a rebel xti. i had a hard time even finding a xt since the xsi just came out. if i were you... try looking to see if u can find a xt. but alot of people based on reviews are saying to go with nikon d series
Old 06-14-2008, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Well I owned a Canon camera and the stupid thing died on me after 3-4years granted I took very very good care of the stupid POS. When I asked about the D40 and D40x everyone said to just get the D60 really I was playing around with some at Best Buy and even the D40 6MP took better pictures than all of the point and shoot camera's I would be happy to spend around 500 dollars. Anyone have any examples of pictures they have taken with their cameras?
Old 06-14-2008, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

id go for the canon, i personally love canon cameras

my father has one, its a 35 mm from 1986 and it still works perfectly LOL
but in reality there are only two camera brands out there, canon and nikon
Old 06-14-2008, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My personal advice would be to buy a body only (either nikon or canon) and get a 50mm f/1.8
It's a great fast prime lense, sharp, and good for learning. Also the price is really affordable, you can get it new (from either camp, nikon or canon) for ~100ish dollars. The kit lenses are usually not that great...
Since the 50mm is a fixed lense it will force you to learn how to think and compose your shots.
When you shoot with the dslr, try to stick with either aperture priority or full manual, get used to controlling the light. Be creative. Stay away from automatic, since that kinda defeats the purpose of having a dslr.

Now I can't really recommend between Canon or Nikon. That's up to you. If you or someone you know has alot of lenses for either brand, it's best to stick with that brand, as that will save alot of money... Lenses can get pretty damn expensive. Canon does have the advantage of having a larger selection of fast prime lenses as opposed to the Nikon camp, and their telephotos really nice. But both have exellent optics.

Only reason why I'm talking alot about lenses rather than the body itself is because having good optics is better than having the best body. Quality lenses makes a world of difference. The lense is what makes the camera. So if money is an issue, spend more of it on the lense rather than the body. I'd stay away from the D40 as it is pretty much just limited to AF-S style lenses.

I myself have a D80. Lenses I have are the 50mm 1.4, 14-24mm 2.8, and a 85mm 1.4

If you want to really have some fun get some strobes.
I have two sb800s myself, although I don't have any strobist works to show at the moment, I plan on taking some of my car later in the summer.

But here is an example of using strobes (not my work of course)

But whatever you end up getting, just make sure to have fun and be creative.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:10 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The debate between Canon and Nikon will go on forever.

THE TRUTH...your not going to be able to tell a difference unless your a pro. So go with whatever you feel comfortable with. Hold the cameras and see what you like.
AND WHEN I SAY CHECK THEM OUT, I DONT MEAN BEST BUY!!!
Go to a real camera store. Not a store that pays minimum wage to the EXPERT behind the counter to tell you about the camera.

I personally shoot with a Canon. My pictures are decent and get plenty of comments. But pictures arent really about the camera, they are about the Photographer and the Lens used. So find your target price and shop from there. Because a good setup will not be under $1000. Heck a good lens wont be under $500. And if you want to go with IS (image stability) or even better "L" lenses, your going to be paying nearly $1000 for a camera.

But if your just looking for something better than point and click. A rebel XTI or Nikon D60 will run you in your price range and be far better than a non point and shoot camera.

If you really want to see pictures, I will post them. But they are all around.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i agree with nick.. whatever you feel comfortable with...

but i chose canon.. i love my XT.. there are soo many lenses available as well accessories...

if you wanna get a canon, wait a few months, the XS was just announced and that is going to be sweet too
Old 06-14-2008, 08:19 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have an xt, and a crappy lense..

yet i get good comments!
Old 06-14-2008, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

+1 to going to the store and trying out the cameras you are considering.

Also, if you are going to buy a camera online, make sure that the company is legit!!!!! There are alot of scam outfits selling photo stuff. Personally, I like B&H and Adorama for online purchases.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just came back from a local camera store, and i still can not decide what camera i want to get... I'm stuck between the Nikon D40/D60, Canyon XS, or the Sony a200....
The lady told me that Nikon was the best out of those to go with but the 1 thing that throws me off the Nikon is the live picture feature, so that forces me to the Canon and Sony... While they both have live picture the canon takes longer to focus then the Sony one so i was thinking about Sony...
But as some of you said that Canon and Nikon are the only best brands for DSLR's ima kinda stuck..... I dont want to go past $500..... But just to throw it out there this is my 1st DSLR camera.....

Also has anyone ever bought from www.amphotoworld.com Found out about the website in a camera review magazine today while i was at boarders....
Old 11-29-2008, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

id say xs... but if you can save up for the xsi since the prices are relatively close to eachother. as far as focusing, it comes more to the lens than the camera it self. i mean the camera does make a diff as far as how fast it can focus, but imo its moreso in the lens. also the xs has 7 focus points where the d60 only has 3...
Old 11-29-2008, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Canon FTW!!!

go hold both in ur hand and see which feels better in ur hands...
Old 11-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Banned
SL Member

D80 ftw, plus if you need somewhere to go too..go to Ritz. They have great customer service and yes its fine to go to Best Buy. I know plenty of people who work there and to actually get a position in the camera/computer sections..you in reality would need to have some experience with cameras. Plus they train you pretty good to understand differences between one camera to another.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I ended up buying a D40 and I am pretty happy with it. The one thing I noticed is it all depends on how you use it and what you do with it adjusting ISO and playing with shutter speed etc. to get that really good shot.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

I bought an XT over the summer and love it. I just bought an 11-18 mm Tamron lens a couple weeks ago and I'm loving that as well.

Sorry for all the pics, just wanna show what the XT is capable of.

And yes, these are my pics.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Stay away from the Sony.they have a history of underperforming,cheaply made,and poor photo quality.

I personally like Canon because of the features I get with it I am familiar with.....used Canon for a long time.

For me the Nikon was a better camera but I did not want to relearn how to use a new camera again.The D60 is a hot camera,it has dropped in price with the newer models that came out in the Nikon line.

If you can get the D60 without a lense you may be better off as you can get soem good deals on lenses this time of year.

My next camera will be a Nikon,reason being I want to try something new other than Canon.

Kepp shopping around there are some good deals out there.

Quick Reply: Buying A Camera