Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

crazy christmas lights on a house video

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Reign_Man
yea ive been seeing a lot more stop motion clips lately...maybe its the next big thing.....
seriously. i was even fooled at first with this one.

the possibilities of stop-action... you can make your xB/xA/tC drift now! jk LOL. my friend made a really good drift video, with the use of his canon camera and a couple matchbox cars!
Old 11-23-2005, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

oooh, stop-action is neat.

in high school, me and 3 of my friends did one.

one friend shadow boxed, (which took forever!!)
then on the computer we drew in a character for him to fight with.
at some point the drawing morphed into my other friend.
and using a trashcan off camera, they both flew off around the corner of the hallway.
THE END.

it was the neatest thing. the teacher gave us like a 150% score.
we beat the A/V team who were supposed to KNOW this. (they cheated though and used a video camera that auto imported to flash )
Old 11-23-2005, 01:36 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i bet you don't have that video anymore do you

hope you do
Old 11-23-2005, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

oh i wish I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was on the computers at school and I had no way of getting it off of there.
the file size was HUGE, we had to split it up to two computers and even then with the sound effects and stuff, it took 15 minutes to open each half and in the end the computers refused to render the friggin thing. it wouldn't even pretend that we asked it to render.

and we still kicked butt with it.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

oh i wish I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was on the computers at school and I had no way of getting it off of there.
the file size was HUGE, we had to split it up to two computers and even then with the sound effects and stuff, it took 15 minutes to open each half and in the end the computers refused to render the friggin thing. it wouldn't even pretend that we asked it to render.

and we still kicked butt with it.

i would go back to see if by the slim chance he kept it but this was 3 years ago and I am not sure he still teaches there.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I can tell, that blinking light to the left of the house is blinking at a regular rate, not tied to any of the other lights at all(looks like a strobe on top of a distant antenna/water tower). So that argument for it being stop animation is ruled out. And the part about the grass being choppy, what you are seeing are video compression artifacts that are changing from frame to frame. Also, if someone was doing this as stop frame animation, would they really take the time to add in frames where the lights were fading on and off? Watch the video frame by frame and you will see what I mean. That would be A LOT of work.

More then likely the music was added after the fact while editing the video, or at least had the volume adjusted.

Btw, the music is from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jowie
From what I can tell, that blinking light to the left of the house is blinking at a regular rate, not tied to any of the other lights at all(looks like a strobe on top of a distant antenna/water tower). So that argument for it being stop animation is ruled out. And the part about the grass being choppy, what you are seeing are video compression artifacts that are changing from frame to frame. Also, if someone was doing this as stop frame animation, would they really take the time to add in frames where the lights were fading on and off? Watch the video frame by frame and you will see what I mean. That would be A LOT of work.

More then likely the music was added after the fact while editing the video, or at least had the volume adjusted.

Btw, the music is from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
Exactly.

Cya
Old 11-23-2005, 05:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

man. lighting programming, stop-action, blah blah. either way, it's a great clip and i give whoever made it props.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i rule out stop animation as well. way too much detail for that. the fading of the lights is the give away there. they must have just added the music after but it really might have been playing while the lights were on but definitely not that loud
Old 11-23-2005, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The music was added on afterwords, it may have been played while recording the lights to get everything down to timing. However, the music was indeed after. How do i know? If you listen to the music, its too precise in its original mix at the studio. If it was recorded outside and recorded, it would have had static and the tone of each instrument would have been off slightly. It makes a huge difference. Its the difference between recording and listening to a live record, unmastered and a mastered studio record. Both sound very similar, but very much different if you have the "ear" to listen to it. Not putting down live stuff, i love going to shows. Adds more realism in the words and music.

Back to point, you wouldn't be able to hear the music like you are now if it was played and then bumped volume later so you can hear it. If you cut the volume up too loud on pre-recorded material, you will get too much feedback and static.

Cya
Old 11-23-2005, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
The music was added on afterwords, it may have been played while recording the lights to get everything down to timing. However, the music was indeed after. How do i know? If you listen to the music, its too precise in its original mix at the studio. If it was recorded outside and recorded, it would have had static and the tone of each instrument would have been off slightly. It makes a huge difference. Its the difference between recording and listening to a live record, unmastered and a mastered studio record. Both sound very similar, but very much different if you have the "ear" to listen to it. Not putting down live stuff, i love going to shows. Adds more realism in the words and music.

Back to point, you wouldn't be able to hear the music like you are now if it was played and then bumped volume later so you can hear it. If you cut the volume up too loud on pre-recorded material, you will get too much feedback and static.

Cya
yup, i agree with the sound added afterwards. too clean and non-static-ish to be an outdoor recording lol. but then what do i know, my belief flip-flopped a bunch of times. haha.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^

Cya
Old 11-23-2005, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

i dont really care if its stop animations or whatever ya'll said... that ish is fricken awesome! my stupid boss said, "Is that ur house?" ---"Uhhhh yea dork!" (Who the hell put that idiot in charge?")
Old 11-23-2005, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by X_Box
i dont really care if its stop animations or whatever ya'll said... that ish is fricken awesome! my stupid boss said, "Is that ur house?" ---"Uhhhh yea dork!" (Who the hell put that idiot in charge?")
lol, well its not stop animation so..it is someones house. Oh my god, that is your house!!!

Cya
Old 11-23-2005, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

uh...... no! i dont have the time, money nor patience to do all that...

but yea that pretty much sounded just like what he said~
"Oh really that ur house?" ---- "NO!"
Old 11-23-2005, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by X_Box
uh...... no! i dont have the time, money nor patience to do all that...

but yea that pretty much sounded just like what he said~
"Oh really that ur house?" ---- "NO!"
I was joking if you didn't catch that?

It is your house, just admit it. You'll feel better about yourself.

Cya
Old 11-23-2005, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow.....someone has no life is all i can say....
Old 11-23-2005, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ha!
looks like the jokes on me.
from 'Snopes':
"...A number of readers have informed us that this display is the work of Carson Williams of Mason, Ohio, who used 88 Light-O-Rama channels to control his 16,000 christmas lights...."
Old 11-23-2005, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

All I can say is, if I was his neighbor, those lights wouldn't be on for long........
Old 11-24-2005, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Iptuous
ha!
looks like the jokes on me.
from 'Snopes':
"...A number of readers have informed us that this display is the work of Carson Williams of Mason, Ohio, who used 88 Light-O-Rama channels to control his 16,000 christmas lights...."
awww, so the truth comes out. that man deserves an award for his hard work. how about a nice $800 light bill?

Quick Reply: crazy christmas lights on a house video