Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

credit card stolen by scionlife con-artists

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default credit card stolen by scionlife con-artists

i went to buy tires today and they told me my credit card was maxed out. puzzled i called the credit card people and it was used it to buy something from scionlife pay there att bill get gas at a station 1000 miles or so from me and some other stuff. the gas station was about 7 miles from a person i recently sold something to. it was the card my paypal account was linked to. and i have sold a few thing here recently and they paid to my paypal account.

is there any way someone could get my info from my paypal account by me giving them my email or is it just a coincidence. i never got any of the fake emails or anything. anyway the credit card company is taking care of everything and i locked all other accounts.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

through paypal, you can only find someones name, and address
Old 07-01-2009, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

and if you did get your "identity" stolen through paypal, I would definitely notify them and see if they have anything to say or do about it
Old 07-01-2009, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i called pay pal and they said they did not show any unauthorized activity in my account. i just cant figure out how the card got stolen i havent used it in 7 months. and the only thing its linked to is my pay pal.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It happens.. especially in weird isolated incidents like that. Has nothing to do with Paypal.

Happened to me about 2 yrs ago with my WaMu card I hadn't touched in like 6 months. They basically will try one small charge to see if it is valid (likely an automated generator) and if they get one that works, they charge something else, bigger. In my case there were two purchases, the second being an iPhone from Apple. I was jealous.

Anyway, ya, not much you can do except talk to your credit card company and get the charges reversed. WaMu was awesome about it and reversed them immediately without question and sent me a completely new card.

I also personally know a couple other people this has happened to. Not a thing you can do about it.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

it could be someone that works for the CC company. They have all your info... and if the CC is really quick to take care of anything with out asking you to many questions. It could be something they already knew about.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

just have to wait and see what happens there sending me a new card. just seems weird that the charges showed up the day after i sold the guy a key and the gas station was right by his house and something was bought on scionlife.