Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

HID! Is 3000k Yellow Illegal?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default HID! Is 3000k Yellow Illegal?!?!

I've been asking around and 10 out of 5 people say it's OK and the other 5 said it's illegal..I wanna get them really bad but don't wanna get in trouble with law,
I already have 20% tints all round and if i get pulled over, they probably gonna fuss about tints also.

Anyone in Michigan or Seattle know if this is OK??
Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dunno about where ur from, but i had them and i got hit pretty hard with a ticket... they say the only color u can have is "white"
Old 10-12-2008, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*5 out of 10 people*
Old 10-12-2008, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yellow foglights are perfectly legal, HID kits in non HID housing is illegal. so there you go.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
yellow foglights are perfectly legal, HID kits in non HID housing is illegal. so there you go.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why is this in the xD section..? Posting it locally would help much more.

As long as the HIDs are not used as your driving lights its ok. Why anyone would use them to drive with is beyond me though.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Not even HID, regular Yellow bulb also??

xD don't have fogs....pretty sure it's gonna break a doe to get one prob.....or is it??
Old 10-12-2008, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

HIDs are great driving lights I think, it's bright, looks cool, or aim it right then you don't have to look only 20ft in front of you w/o making it look you got your high on
Old 10-12-2008, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are fogs out, go look at TRD Sparks. The fogs don't look all that great in my opinions. Yes HIDs look nice when driving, but using 3000k HIDs as driving lights is pointless, which I hope you're not thinking of doing.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I got white tC and xD, had yellow overlay on tC with gold wheels and i think it looked hot~ but some kid had to be a beeeetch and peel'em off at school....didn't wanna do it again after, and man....

I don't even wanna think about xD headlights man....that thing is bubbliest thing I've ever seen, I don't think i can get around that.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

i had them, got hassled once cause they were too bright and the cop was chilling right in front of me. other than that dont drive like an idiot and you'll be fine
Old 10-12-2008, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think getting a ticket for having yellow lights is all BS.....I know there old model cars but there are some Lexus', BMW's,and Benze's come with either fog lights yellow and the middle beams yellow as stock factory..so its just BS as so for the HIDs......all those high end luxury cars come with HIDs and some cars like the S2k's and the G37's have super bright HIDs.....so your gonna tell me they would get tickets? of course no! lol....I myself have have yellow HIDs in my fogs....and yellow as my high beams but not HID.....and I live in NY which they are strict...been using it for a year and a half and i havent gotten a ticket yet (knock on wood)
Old 10-13-2008, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

In IL, the light that is emitted from the front is either yellow or white.
Originally Posted by Illinois Vehicle Code
All other motor vehicles shall exhibit at least 2 lighted head lamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, which satisfy United States Department of Transportation requirements, showing white lights, including that emitted by high intensity discharge (HID) lamps, or lights of a yellow or amber tint, during the period from sunset to sunrise, at times when rain, snow, fog, or other atmospheric conditions require the use of windshield wipers, and at any other times when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 1000 feet.
Now, I did a cursory glance of the Michigan vehicle code and it didn't expressly mention the color of headlamps, but you're more than welcome to look yourself.
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(diqpjajspudnuk45eqwwm055))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-act-300-of-1949&queryid=6188878&highlight=
Old 10-14-2008, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by darkflare999
I think getting a ticket for having yellow lights is all bs.....I know there old model cars but there are some lexus', bmw's,and benze's come with either fog lights yellow and the middle beams yellow as stock factory..s0o its just bs as so for the hids......all those high end luxury cars come with hids and some cars like the s2k's and the g37's have super bright hids.....s0o your gonna tell me they would get tickets? of course no! lol....I myself have have yellow hids in my fogs....and yellow as my high beams but not hid.....and i live in ny which they are strict...been using it for a year and a half and i havent gotten a ticket yet (knock on wood)
okay...you don't get it dude.

cars that come with HID's installed at the factory have housing that are properly designed to aim and focus the HID bulbs. but cars that do not have factory installed HID's can not properly use HID's because the housing will not properly focus, aim and filter the light, resulting in huge about of glare that blind oncoming traffic and anybody you happen to be following. that is why they are ILLEGAL.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

In foglights, yellow HID should be fine, since they're low, there's little chance of blinding oncoming traffic.

If you put HID in the headlights, aim them down a bit and you should be okay. I've been both behind and oncoming near police several times with both sets of HIDs on and I've never been bothered.

That being said, as Drax posted, HID in a Halogen reflector is technically illegal. It's been my experience that if you don't do anything to attract attention (read: drive like a dick) you should be fine with the headlights.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate HID's in most cars that aren't adjusted right. and then the morons that drive with OEM HID's and the brights on. jerks...but I may do HID's in the xD. pretty distinct cutoff and can't see very far down the road.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yea, the cutoff in the xD is nuts. The thing that people always forget is to aim them down after installing them. That's why people are getting blinded.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Yellow fogs = legal
Aftermarket HIDs = illegal

kthx
Old 10-14-2008, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Yellow fogs = legal
Aftermarket HIDs = illegal

kthx
Maybe in NJ. In IL:

aftermarket HIDs = legal

I know. I called the state attorney's office. :D
Old 10-14-2008, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Then i'm pretty sure someone in state attorney doesn't know. Pretty sure HIDs in a non HID housing are illegal everywhere.

Quick Reply: HID! Is 3000k Yellow Illegal?!?!