Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Hypothetical situation for cutting your vehicle registration fees in half

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member

Default Hypothetical situation for cutting your vehicle registration fees in half

Last night I went to a happy hour for a professionals group that my wife belongs to there was some people from the C.A.R.B. (California air resources board) yes I was sitting with the enemy.

Well anyways this nice young woman who happened to work for them. I found out was in fact kind of a motoring enthusiast herself we got into a discussion about how to get people to drive smarter (reducing emissions and conserve fuel)

Long story short we got into this hypothetical situation about a way to possibly cut the cost of Vehicle Registration in half and possibly the elimination of having to do a smog check every 2 years.

now this hypothetical situation it is completely voluntary. would only record vehicle VIN number, Driving habits (vehicle speed, throttle position, and emissions as read by the ECU) through the ODBII port inside your vehicle. there would be no big brother, no GPS, but you'd have to upload the data once every couple of months. There would be the possibility of an app kind of like Torque so you could monitor what your vehicle is doing in real time as well. The advantage of this would be elimination of having to smog your vehicle no visual inspection of your vehicle and possibly cut the cost of your tags in half.

If you could do this would you? What would you have for suggestions for a project like this?