Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Just say 'NO' to myspace....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Just say 'NO' to myspace....

Since Rupert Murdoch's $355 Million acquisition of MySpace in July 2005, it has come from total obscurity to now being the 8th most visited website in the world, receiving half as many page hits as Google, despite the fact that on first appearance it looks like a 5-year-old's picture scrap and scribble book.

MySpace has been caught shutting down blogs critical of itself and other Murdoch owned companies**. They even had the audacity to censor links to completely different websites when clicking through for MySpace. When 600 MySpace users complained, MySpace deleted the blog forum that the complaints were posted on. Taking their inspiration from Communist China, MySpace regularly uses blanket censorship to block out words like 'God'.

**http://news.independent.co.uk/busine...icle337149.ece
Old 03-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

That link gives a blurb, then asks you to pay to read the rest. Can someone provide a link to a complete article that backs this up... or if someone has full access please quote the entire article here. This is interesting.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mirrored here:
http://www.gekidoslair.com/site/archives/338
Old 03-16-2006, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

more:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...22&btnG=Search
Old 03-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Angry members of MySpace, the personal file-sharing website for young adults, are accusing Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation of censoring their postings and blocking their access to rival sites.

The 38 million subscribers to MySpace, which News Corp bought for $629m (£355m) last July, discovered that when they wrote to each other about rival video-swapping site YouTube, the words were automatically deleted, and attempts to download video images from YouTube led to blank screens.

The intervention by News Corp in the traditionally open-access world of the web - in particular the alteration of personal user profiles - provoked a storm of angry posts in online “blogs”.

“This is soooo like Fox and News Corp to try and secretly seal our mouths with duct tape,” wrote “Alex” to Blog Herald.

The protests gathered pace, and when 600 MySpace customers complained and a campaign began to boycott the site and relocate to rival sites such as Friendster, Linkedin, revver.com and Facebook.com, News Corp relented and restored the links.

However, MySpace managers promptly shut down the blog forum on which members had complained about the interference. An online notice said the problem was the result of “a simple misunderstanding”.

The explanation did not, however, calm the bloggers. “There was an outcry by some members after MySpace’s acquisition by News Corp. People were afraid they might start monitoring or censoring MySpace,” Ellis Yu wrote to the Blog Herald. “At the time, their CEO said nothing like that would happen. Well, now it has. MySpace was built on an open community and now they’re trying to censor us, putting business interests above its members!”

“MySpace is supposed to be a personal forum!” wrote “makisha” at the blog site Supr.c.iliu.us. “Now it’s owned by some corporation and it’s being sensored [sic]! The beauty of it has been ruined. Better wise up MySpace or you’re going to loose [sic] a good portion of your subscribers.”

A spokesman for MySpace said it would not explain how the blocking of YouTube came about, nor how it was resolved, nor whether in future it would continue to block links to rival websites or censor messages between MySpace customers.

Mr Murdoch, 74, last week appointed 33-year-old Jeremy Philips to run News Corp’s internet strategy and armed him with a $1bn fund to buy more sites.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:53 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Um, if they wanna buy my site(s) with part of that 1billion, i'm all for it.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

That sounds pretty f*cked up. I knew there was some reason I didn't like Murdoch.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Even though they call it "Myspace," it's not technically YOUR space, unless you pay for it. . . even then, there are legal ways to that corporations can censor.

It's kinda funny how people think they are entitled to free speech on mediums that are OWNED by someone else. Servers cost money. Sure. . . if you own your own top ten website of the world, and someone censors YOU, go complain. But if you're going to use someone else's product for FREE and complain about the way they run their company, that's just messed up.

The fact of the matter is that they have costs to pay for and revenue to consider (in the form of advertising). Whether or not the censorship goes too far will show itself in lost revenue to the company, therefore it usually corrects itself over time.

But censorship even occurs here on Scionlife. We can't post nudie pics and downright offensive/profane material. Why? We don't want to lose sponsors. Why? Without sponsors, Scionlife would not exist.

So to all you naggers and complainers, enjoy the free ride. . . and if censorship bothers you then leave Myspace. . . and that goes for any other free service on the internet too. If hits decline, then they will ease their policies. But hey, look! Myspace is successful for a reason.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I couldn't really put it any better. As Americans, a lot of us think that we have the right to free speech no matter what. If you're using someone else's service (paid or otherwise), they're allowed to set rules of their own as to what you can say. You're not allowed to use profanity on countless forums including this one, as well as on paid services like America Online.

And even in the American public, free speech has it's limits. You can't go into a crowded theatre and yell "Fire!" and expect not to be prosecuted if someone is injured in the following stampede.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

This is all very interesting..
Old 03-17-2006, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
...But censorship even occurs here on Scionlife. We can't post nudie pics and downright offensive/profane material. Why? We don't want to lose sponsors. Why? Without sponsors, Scionlife would not exist. ....
But there is a difference.

SL posts RULES, which we are free to go along with.

As far as I know, SL does not delete posts that talk about companies that dont sponsor this site. Therein lies the difference
Old 03-17-2006, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well said djct_watt.....everyone always wants to complain about myspace when the fact of the matter is, we all have a choice to use it or not. If you don't like it, don't use it, that's all that needs to be said about it. Some of us don't need to be sensored and therefore don't have a problem with it.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Wow - I am pleasantly surprised by these repies above!
Sadly, many in this current young generation have been spoon-fed BS in school, and think that freedom of speech is a given, wherever you go.
Not true.

Good topic. Personally, I could care less about MySpace.

Scott
Old 03-17-2006, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Even though they call it "Myspace," it's not technically YOUR space, unless you pay for it. . . even then, there are legal ways to that corporations can censor.

It's kinda funny how people think they are entitled to free speech on mediums that are OWNED by someone else. Servers cost money. Sure. . . if you own your own top ten website of the world, and someone censors YOU, go complain. But if you're going to use someone else's product for FREE and complain about the way they run their company, that's just messed up.

The fact of the matter is that they have costs to pay for and revenue to consider (in the form of advertising). Whether or not the censorship goes too far will show itself in lost revenue to the company, therefore it usually corrects itself over time.

But censorship even occurs here on Scionlife. We can't post nudie pics and downright offensive/profane material. Why? We don't want to lose sponsors. Why? Without sponsors, Scionlife would not exist.

So to all you naggers and complainers, enjoy the free ride. . . and if censorship bothers you then leave Myspace. . . and that goes for any other free service on the internet too. If hits decline, then they will ease their policies. But hey, look! Myspace is successful for a reason.
I CONCUR!!!!
Old 03-17-2006, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, just heard of this news...

I use myspace quite frequently... I'm not a "myspace *****" but I like to keep up to date with the local scene and info, reading blogs, posting blogs, meeting new people. I dont see why people hate it so much. But I do understand the controversy, now that myspace is this huge corporation, making some $$$. The service IS free, and sure, people shouldn't complain, but the owners of myspace should draw a line. This is all I've read so Im not really one to judge. It hasnt affected me and I'm fine with myspace as of now. My opinion is entitled to change
Old 03-18-2006, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
...But censorship even occurs here on Scionlife. We can't post nudie pics and downright offensive/profane material. Why? We don't want to lose sponsors. Why? Without sponsors, Scionlife would not exist. ....
But there is a difference.

SL posts RULES, which we are free to go along with.

As far as I know, SL does not delete posts that talk about companies that dont sponsor this site. Therein lies the difference
Good point. . . but you have to realize that the people here at SL are cool, and they have the extend a courtesy of establishing rules in which they usually stay consistent. But it's a favor to us, not to the owners. They have every right to be inconsistent, but they would lose memberships. . . but hey, SL is the leading Scion site for a reason.

Myspace is a corporate money hungry company ready to make some serious serious cash. You better bet that they run a tight ship. If I had money invested in them, I'd damn well hope that they keep things neutral and non-offensive. I'd want my stocks to go up! And go ahead and ridicule capitalism. . . what do you think paid for your computers, servers, websites, ebay goods, the food on your plate, and the near non-existence of death by starvation in America. But I don't want to get too political. The point is that it is their company and it is their rules. They are free to tell you the rules as they please.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

......And go ahead and ridicule capitalism. . . what do you think paid for your computers, servers, websites, ebay goods, the food on your plate, and the near non-existence of death by starvation in America..
Huh?

Where did that come from? Where did I attack capitalism?

We do not have a true free market in this country. It will never be a truly free market as long as there is government intervention.

Even though Western democracy is well established at this point, those with "the gold", wealthy individuals and corporations, are having greater and greater influence over our laws and regulations.

The United States is not a democracy but a democratic republic. This means that we elect representatives who are supposed to follow the will of the people. Unfortunately, due to the influence of big money in politics, the "we" part of "we the people" is increasingly dominated by the richest individuals and corporations. This has serious implications for the long term health of our system of governance, but it also has implications for our personal health and the land, air, and water around us.

Unchecked capitalism is everyones problem.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Myspace sucks! Everyone I know is on that stupid thing. When ever my ladyfriend comes over to my house one of the first things she does is goes on myspace and nerds out for like 20min on it. "hey come look at what so and so wrote" she'll say, like i give a s!#% what some other cybernerd had to say about some meaningless topic.

Its like a online book club where people just gossip about everyone else. Its pointless. Then my girl tries to say that SL is the same thing when i give her a hard time about it. SL rules, its all about people helping people helping there cars!! And a occasional crap talking which is fine with, some of our debates are funny. Well thats my rant...Peace out! (in Kips voice)
Old 03-24-2006, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
......And go ahead and ridicule capitalism. . . what do you think paid for your computers, servers, websites, ebay goods, the food on your plate, and the near non-existence of death by starvation in America..
Huh?

Where did that come from? Where did I attack capitalism?

We do not have a true free market in this country. It will never be a truly free market as long as there is government intervention.

Even though Western democracy is well established at this point, those with "the gold", wealthy individuals and corporations, are having greater and greater influence over our laws and regulations.

The United States is not a democracy but a democratic republic. This means that we elect representatives who are supposed to follow the will of the people. Unfortunately, due to the influence of big money in politics, the "we" part of "we the people" is increasingly dominated by the richest individuals and corporations. This has serious implications for the long term health of our system of governance, but it also has implications for our personal health and the land, air, and water around us.

Unchecked capitalism is everyones problem.
Sorry that wasn't very clear. . . I know you didn't attack capitalism, I was just making a point countering a general mentality. . . it wasn't really directed at you in particular.

But in response to what you wrote, a truely 100% perfectly free market does not exist, nor could one exist (speaking as a graduate in Economics). Goverment intervention is not only important, it is CRITICAL to maintain free markets, as monopolies are usually the biggest concern for a free market. However governments usually inhibit global free markets and global free trade, since they usually employ protectionist policies.

And don't forget that goverment is the only authoritative body that can regulate pollution. Considering that over the past 10 years, we've seen pollution decrease in this country, I'd say that it is some pretty good progress. In fact, in almost every country with high GDP/capita, you see low rates of pollution. Usually the big polluters are barren third world countries with corrupt governments and no foreign investment or corporations.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Considering that over the past 10 years, we've seen pollution decrease in this country, I'd say that it is some pretty good progress. In fact, in almost every country with high GDP/capita, you see low rates of pollution. Usually the big polluters are barren third world countries with corrupt governments and no foreign investment or corporations.
Im not sure where you are getting your information from. Power plants are the nations largest industrial source of air pollution, fueling global warming and causing other serious public health and environmental problems. US EPA data on power plant emissions of carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide , and nitrogen oxides from 1995 to 2003 and finds that emissions are on the rise at many plants. The data show that power plant emissions of CO2 will continue to increase unless federal policymakers cap global warming emissions

Quick Reply: Just say 'NO' to myspace....