Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...
View Poll Results: Poll: How Long do You think the Gas Price Crisis will last?
1. Not Too Long. It's nearing the Top. It will settle down. 6 months to a year.
3.64%
2. About a Year to 18 months...New President. New Energy Policy. Appoint a "Energy Czar" or Commission. The Government will step in and Institute New Controls and Regulations on the Oil Companies. Windfall Profit Tax...
18.18%
3. It will be a lot longer than most people expect. No telling how high gas, fuel and energy prices will go. Will go on 18 months / 2 years plus+ It could be a long, long time. No Real End or Solution in sight.
78.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: How Long do You think the Gas Price Crisis will last?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 04:16 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

I hope the analyst is wrong.
Because if he is right,
then $5 gas will be the 'Good Old Days'
Old 07-03-2008, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

these are what the bastards in the middle east are buying with the money the make from us. Platinum plated Audis
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0truck/p-1.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...20truck/p-.jpg
Old 07-03-2008, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's pretty dope actually.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The article said the engine in the car is worth over $15 million alone
Old 07-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Default And their Digs aren't Too Shabby, either...

And their Digs aren't Too Shabby, either...

New Construction: Palm Jemeirah in Dubai

Now see this stuff………………….
This is taken from world's tallest building 'Burj Dubai' @2,620 ft / 801m!!!
What do you think guys…………………

Really amazing

Look at the edge (uppermost right corner) of the picture, you can almost see the turn of the earth

The persons who are working on the upper most Girders can see the 'ROTATION OF EARTH' So terrifying…..
Old 07-03-2008, 05:28 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

swimming pools in front of the beach wtf is up with that???
Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
When you have money to blow why not?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I KNOW youre not from San Diego with a statement like that.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by 13edge
I drive roughly 60 miles every work day round trip. I work with people who drive 180 miles round trip. They are talking about getting a few of them together and just renting a cheap motel room during the week.
Yet another perfect example of how you cant compair Europe or Asia to us here in the good ol USofA. A good amount of peeps dont live in the city where they work.

I would think that those who are driving such a long distance would commute together and pool their money for one car ride in rather then several.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Well, it's like this. These Oil Producers are So Wealthy
they can do WTF they want.

They are So Fabulously Wealthy, for amusement if they wish,
They can empty out the swimming pool and fill it with $100 bills
jump in it , swim in it, toss the money in the air and yell WHEE! WHEE!

Wish we all had their problem
Old 07-04-2008, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
I would think that those who are driving such a long distance would commute together and pool their money for one car ride in rather then several.
That would be ideal, but having rotating shifts really kills that idea, and then some jobs require different works hour than others, and then some dude may get like an 8 hour job for the day and another guy is stuck with a 12 hour shift. Carpooling is out. Some folks ride motorcycles, but lets face it... any decent bike will get the same mpgs as a Prius, and you can't ride every day.

The motel answer is the only one, other than moving closer. But the life they have out there, they can never have in the city.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know I believe this might be about as much BS as Y2K. Seriously. We are the little people being manipulated by the greater corporate entity.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It will last until people stop buying it.
The average consumer drone is just now getting this through their head (HUMMER sales are down almost 50%), but it's years and years too late. You can make all sorts of speculation as to the reasons gas prices are so high, but there's really one reason and one reason only:

Gas prices are what they are because it's the price you've chosen to pay for it

Ideally, when selling a product, you want it to cost the very most you can possibly charge for it, while still ensuring that someone wants to pay that price. OPEC, while I personally hate them, is a business. They aren't here to make friends, they're here to make money. They're going for the maximum amount of money they can charge for gas without turning people off. That's the only thing they're here to do, and they're doing it quite well.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not a very fare view as most all of us, from every walk of like in the US are dependent on Gas in some shape or form. Choice? yeah sure. I chose to take a ____ when I need to as well I try and go before I feel too uncomfortable but I do go. Same with Gas. I see it go past half tank and try and pay to fill it up. Then when it hits reserve I ask mom for some Gas cash

So yeah there is allot of choice. But I would not put the blame on us entirely or even much.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by INFINI
But I would not put the blame on us entirely or even much.
Why not? Ask the people who use alternative fuel cars, a reasonable public transportation/bicycle combo, or whose cars get better than 35mpg at any given time if they feel that they're as dependent on the pump as we are. Then ask them how much they're giving OPEC. Compare the numbers. It's a choice, and more to the point, it's a choice that we don't act on.

If we voiced our opinion with our dollar, and our dollars said that gas prices would need to be lower before gas would be bought, gas prices would lower. Instead, we're voicing our opinions with words, which can be ignored (and is, and always will be).
Old 07-07-2008, 08:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I would like to see how you deal with choosing to not use natural gas for a few days. I mean not to start an argument in a negative way but most of us are stuck in this and don't really have many great choices.

I don't really think you are thinking like a normal person that needs to pay bills and function in a society dependent on natural gas.

1. alternative fuel cars? Where!? Who?

2. reasonable public transportation? Er this is about %50 of the bad air we breath. Turbo charged buses and Mac trucks delivering our food and goods around the country make this country stable, fed and stocked. Not to mention Jumbo Jets and those god awful 40yr old school buses I see every day spewing black smoke in the sky.

3.bicycle combo? ok, that used to be a great solution when I was 15 and living in NYC. But I would not ride a bike in NYC even if you payed me. Too many people and cars all over. Too dangerous.

4. whose cars get better than 35mpg. I get over 35mpg highway...... Still want a moped

Look a understand your points but they are not as realistic in real life as they are in theory. I don't want a hydrogen car, or fuel cell. Even though I have applied to be a test daily driver of Chevy's new alt. fuel cars. I want to not have to ever go to a gas station again. For anything but coffee

I say plug me in for under 20K. We will have to wait a long time for this because they don't want it that simple for us. they want to give us alt. fuels so we can become dependent on something else. Again!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is when the communist walk in and say

laissez faire = FAIL
Old 07-07-2008, 09:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I would like to see how you deal with choosing to not use natural gas for a few days. I mean not to start an argument in a negative way but most of us are stuck in this and don't really have many great choices.
I'm not trying to start an argument in a negative way, or an argument at all. More a debate on just how much option we, as an average consumer, have.

1. alternative fuel cars? Where!? Who?
I count regular diesel as an alternative fuel. The most popular -real- alternative fuel is biodiesel, except the only downside is that your car smells like food on the highway. A small price to pay for not having to fill OPEC's coffers. The up-and-coming electric surge (har har) is going to take concrete shape soon, too.

2. reasonable public transportation? Er this is about %50 of the bad air we breath.
False. Most, if not all, major city buses run on CNG, and the trains run on electric.

Mac trucks delivering our food and goods around the country make this country stable, fed and stocked. Not to mention Jumbo Jets and those god awful 40yr old school buses I see every day spewing black smoke in the sky.
The argument was about Joe Consumer's options for not having to pay for gas so much, not about gasoline's effect on the environment or things that are two and three degrees away from Mr. Consumer. I see where you're coming from, but those things more affect the prices of consumer goods that Joe Consumer buys, unless he has to pay for the gas that goes into a Mack truck, a Jumbo Jet, or a 40 year old school bus.

3.bicycle combo? ok, that used to be a great solution when I was 15 and living in NYC. But I would not ride a bike in NYC even if you payed me. Too many people and cars all over. Too dangerous.
Point taken, but then why not take the subway->a bus->walk the rest of the way? Still cheaper than driving around, especially with the congestion on the road.

4. whose cars get better than 35mpg. I get over 35mpg highway...... Still want a moped
I broke my leg on a moped last year, so beware. I trust you aren't as inept as I am, though.

Unfortunately, with the US automotive market and OPEC jerking each other off, it has realistically hindered our options to stop suckling the gasoline teat compared to other countries.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Point taken, but then why not take the subway->a bus->walk the rest of the way? Still cheaper than driving around, especially with the congestion on the road."

lol, ok only thing I would add would be that it's easier said than done in LA
Old 07-07-2008, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh believe me, I know. No public transport system is as bad as St. Louis County's because everything is so spread out, and what's even worse is everyone still clinging to their SUV's because they can't sell them. Which means people spending more money on gas. And the cycle continues!

Quick Reply: Poll: How Long do You think the Gas Price Crisis will last?