Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Pulled Over for License Plate Lights-Need Info??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pulled Over for License Plate Lights-Need Info??

So, got pulled over for blue Plate lights. I guess red and blue are BIG NO NO's and pink and purple and any other color are kinda, what ever. But thats what the cop told me. He did let me off. I just said i didn't know.

So i have a question....

So if i got a ticket, what kind of ticket would it be?
Would points be put on my record?
If there are points, would it be 1 point violation or something?

I'm just sort of vague on this subject... I know that pretty much
anything you do after market to your car on the outside is illegal. So in terms of tickets, what would i expect if i go a ticket for something like that.

I plan on changing the plate lights to White LED's and only putting blue in for Car shows etc.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i dont know what it is in colorado, but im pretty sure they would just give you a fix it ticket, or a violation, neither of which are moving violations, therefore no points on record
Old 03-11-2008, 10:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure about your laws, but in a lot of states, it is illegal to have your license plate lit up in any color but white. Especially not blue since blue tends to be the color cops tag people for "impersonating an officer."
Old 03-11-2008, 11:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In Ohio I had blue lights in side my grill. I got a $80 ticket. It was called illegal use of emergency vehicle lights. No points.
I didn't even try to fight it. I was in the wrong.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can't have any red or blue lights on the outside of your car for exactly the reason that djpeaty stated. If he were to give you something, it most likely would have been a warning which makes you go to the station and show them you took off the lights. No ticket unless you didn't show them within a certain amount of time. That's how it is where I live.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djpeaty
In Ohio I had blue lights in side my grill. I got a $80 ticket. It was called illegal use of emergency vehicle lights. No points.
I didn't even try to fight it. I was in the wrong.
If they are not on, can he write a ticket for that. Like i got blue lights in my grille to and i only turn them on when i'm at car shows. I never turn them on, when i'm on the roads etc. So can he only ticket you when you use them or can he ticket you period by walking up to the front grille and seeing them even if there not on?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If they are not on when you are moving, he cannot ticket you. Only if you are moving.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i'd say change them for the road if you're really that worried about it. but as far as shows, etc. turn them on. no harm done.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok cool, thanks for the info. I never turn them on while on the highway, Plus it's a bit of a pain to take them off and then re-install them each time. I just wasn't sure of the laws regarding that.

I have Blue Grill lights on a '88 ford bronco i use for plowing. I've past many cops during snowstorms while plowing with them on etc... never been pulled over or looked at twice. I'm guessing that would be legal use of emergency lights.

I will definitely put White LED's in my License Plate and be sure to put a switch cover on the Grille lights.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had the cool white LED's from superbrightleds.com for several months already and havn't had a problem with the law down here in Miami, FL so far.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't those cool white LEDs really look like a light blue? Mine do... lol.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

what type # license plate leds from superbright?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most vehicle codes in the USA state that your allowed to have white/amber facing front and red/amber facing to the rear, the only exception would be white to illuminate your plate. I don't see why you couldn't illuminate your plate red as your allowed to have red to the rear of the vehicle. I have the white LED's for my plate (bright as heck) and had a cop follow me w/o issue.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got a ticket when my HID burned out and my parking light was still running and it was blue..i got a ticket of it...a fix ticket...but the fine was $175... i went to signed off for the ticket...the cop just asked to turn around my car...just see the rear...he was inside the office... then i went to pay for it...actually when u get signed off and your fine will be changed to $10...but the cashier said no,,,i had to pay for $175...she couldnt change the amount, only the judge can do that...then she told me to go to court ask the judge to lower the fine...then i scheduled the day...i went to court ..and the judge said that "Did u change your exhaust?" and I said "NO, It was the parking light"...and then he looked the document clearly and said "that's right,...not the exhauset, it is the running light"..Okay,, the fine will be $10...and i paid it right away after judgement. I believe that the cop was trying to rip me off man...wasted my time..
Old 03-12-2008, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Eltaco
I don't see why you couldn't illuminate your plate red as your allowed to have red to the rear of the vehicle.
Because people who can't see well at night (who shouldn't be driving anyway) will think your brake is applied and in turn may hit their brakes and cause the car behind them to crash into them. etc.

Sounds like the cop gave you a verbal warning. Did you actually receive a piece of paper? (Like a ticket or fix-it ticket?) If you didn't, then you shouldn't have much to worry about other than changing the rear license plate lights/LEDs.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

If you were given a ticket, it would probably be for 'Unauthorized equipment'. It's about $50, I got one for my window tint.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by azntsjason
i got a ticket when my HID burned out and my parking light was still running and it was blue..i got a ticket of it...a fix ticket...but the fine was $175... i went to signed off for the ticket...the cop just asked to turn around my car...just see the rear...he was inside the office... then i went to pay for it...actually when u get signed off and your fine will be changed to $10...but the cashier said no,,,i had to pay for $175...she couldnt change the amount, only the judge can do that...then she told me to go to court ask the judge to lower the fine...then i scheduled the day...i went to court ..and the judge said that "Did u change your exhaust?" and I said "NO, It was the parking light"...and then he looked the document clearly and said "that's right,...not the exhauset, it is the running light"..Okay,, the fine will be $10...and i paid it right away after judgement. I believe that the cop was trying to rip me off man...wasted my time..
lol.. almost the same thing happened to me.. no ticket but my hid burned out on 1 side and the blue running light was soo bright blue:D but no ticket.. im thinking to keep 2 stock bulb with me so if the hid burn out i just swap that bulb quick..
Old 03-12-2008, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depends on the ticket the cop wrote you...

1. Fix it ticket - If he was nice about it he could have given you this simple ticket. They're usually no points, but check with your state.

2. Impersonating an officer ticket - In almost all states red and blue in any way on a car is illegal as it is known as impersonating an officer (legal though on motorcycles). No idea what the penalty is for these tickets.

Good luck. I would have thought by now that people know red and blue are illegal.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by atodak
what type # license plate leds from superbright?
194/168 is the bulb # also check out "v-leds.com". That is also a good website.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

tanks Dos techie!

Quick Reply: Pulled Over for License Plate Lights-Need Info??