Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

!Pure Pricing applied to Maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default !Pure Pricing applied to Maintenance!

Scion is bringing out a new Pricing menu at dealerships for scheduled maintenance on all Scion vehicles! (note this is not for REPAIRS, just for maintenance).

This will have 3 columns in which prices are posted: Basic maintenance, Intermediate service, Major service

Under basic maintenance it shows the minor maintenance for every 5k interval (like basic oil change and rotation of tires and inspections/adjustments).

Under the intermediate maintenance it shows 15k, 45k, 75k which includes the basic service plus additional inspections/adjustments (such as brakes, engine coolant, radiator core and condenser ,etc)

Under the major maintenance, it shows 30k, 60k, 90k which includes the basic service plus replacing engine air filter and additional inspections/adjustments (such as transmission fluid or oil and tightening the drive shaft bolt, etc).

It does explain that some models/years may require additional services (the pricing menu is very generic and does not include pricing on repairs, as that would be an 800 page listing if Scion tried to list every possible repair and cost associated with it). Certain repairs may be suggested or required, depending on driving habits and year/mileage on vehicle.

This pricing menu will be displayed at Scion dealers shortly and it will be a very straightforward, easy to read menu that tells you what you will be paying *tax not included* for each of these maintenances—Please note that dealerships are independently owned and operated, so pricing will be set by each dealer, not by Scion, and therefore pricing may vary from dealer to dealer.

Soooo what do you guys think? (For those of you that don't service at the dealers, would something like this make you more inclined to? And For those that do service at the dealers, do you think this will help in anyway??)

(Mods move this if there is a better place)
Old 02-15-2008, 02:36 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bout f-ing time not like i take my car to the dealer for maintenance, i can do my self
Old 02-15-2008, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

How much we talking here?
Old 02-15-2008, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How is this considered pure pricing though? If it's still controlled by the dealerships, can't they just set their own price anyway?

I was under the impression it was called "pure pricing" because Scion set the prices, so dealers have no control over it.

So all Scion is doing is saying dealers have to post their prices? Can't you just call and ask how much? Do some research before hand to make the price is ballpark what it should be and you won't have any problems.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Well that's going to vary from dealer to dealer-- again, Scion will not be setting the pricing on these things-- Scion cannot have an MSRP for labor/maintenance -there are varying labor rates and again, dealerships are independently owned and operated so they set their own pricing-- Good thing is that everything will be posted when you walk into the dealer and just like pure price, the posted price would be what you pay *plus tax*-- remember though, this is only for MAINTENANCE. Not for repairs.

=) hope that helps!
Old 02-15-2008, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IntegreS_350
^ Well that's going to vary from dealer to dealer-- again, Scion will not be setting the pricing on these things-- Scion cannot have an MSRP for labor/maintenance -there are varying labor rates and again, dealerships are independently owned and operated so they set their own pricing-- Good thing is that everything will be posted when you walk into the dealer and just like pure price, the posted price would be what you pay *plus tax*-- remember though, this is only for MAINTENANCE. Not for repairs.

=) hope that helps!
I understand what you mean, but don't understand how this is "Pure Price." It's still controlled by the dealers, not Scion. You could say all used car dealerships sell cars based on "Pure Price" because most of them have the prices labeled on the cars when you walk in, or at least can go online and find out what they are asking.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by teamben158

=) hope that helps!
I understand what you mean, but don't understand how this is "Pure Price." It's still controlled by the dealers, not Scion. You could say all used car dealerships sell cars based on "Pure Price" because most of them have the prices labeled on the cars when you walk in, or at least can go online and find out what they are asking.
Well Pure price means that once a price is posted, it cannot be negotiated or changed. So, that price is NOT set by Scion, its set by the dealers. However, it means that once that price is posted, the dealer cannot just come out and say its going to be $1000 more than what was posted.

For maintenance, if you go in for a basic maintenance, and the posted price is $35.95, then when you pick up you car (assuming no repairs were requested or needed), then you can expect to pay $35.95 *plus tax of course*. The dealer cannot come out and say "Ok thats going to be $50 + tax for the basic maintenance" because the posted price is $39.95.

Make a little more sense now?
Old 02-15-2008, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by teamben158

=) hope that helps!
Well Pure price means that once a price is posted, it cannot be negotiated or changed. So, that price is NOT set by Scion, its set by the dealers. However, it means that once that price is posted, the dealer cannot just come out and say its going to be $1000 more than what was posted.

For maintenance, if you go in for a basic maintenance, and the posted price is $35.95, then when you pick up you car (assuming no repairs were requested or needed), then you can expect to pay $35.95 *plus tax of course*. The dealer cannot come out and say "Ok thats going to be $50 + tax for the basic maintenance" because the posted price is $39.95.

Make a little more sense now?
It always did make sense, I guess I just don't see what the big deal is. I've never had a problem with a dealer telling me a price, and then coming back after it's done and telling me a different price. It seems easier to pick up the phone and ask how much a service is rather than walking into a dealer and seeing the cost.

If you think it is a good thing, awesome! But to me, it seems like they are sticking a piece of paper on the wall that is already known.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I guess it is to set an established price for maintenance services at certain intervals- so that the dealer cannot try to add additional charges like additional flushes or something you do not need.