Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Sears Auto Center Techs Joyriding YOUR CAR!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sears Auto Center Techs Joyriding YOUR CAR!?!?

O.K. I need some help here. Has anyone taken their car or truck to a Sears Auto Center for any type of work only to find out or witness an employee of their's taking YOUR vehicle out for a "JoyRide" or "Beat-Ride"? This happened to my good friend and he's not very thrilled. I don't want to disclose many details about where and when because it's all still under investigation. I'm just doing my part in helping him with some fact finding. If anyone has any info on how to get someone within Sears upper eschelon to listen to the claim of horrible customer service, or a similar experience with a Sears Auto Center, please post here or PM me. Mods: If I posted this in the wrong spot, please feel free to move it.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Sorry about your buddy's predicament. I know it really sucks when people don't respect your property. Especially after we trust them to do what we pay them to do, and they abuse it.

Anyways I found this from the consumer advocate website The Consumerist: Sears CEO Aylwin B. Lewis email address alewis1@searshc.com (though don't give out your phone no./address, etc. just to be safe. email address is fine I think); or his office (847) 286-2500. Again, I just got it from the site.

Or, try asking to be directed to the Special Problems Department (it's said to be higher than the regular CS reps)

good luck! Sears' shares and profits have recently been on a decline these past few quarters for low sales and bad cust. service. I think the current CEO's been recently fired/replaced by his Exec. VP W. Bruce Johnson.

Here's the link to the site I got it from. Pretty handy for their tips/warnings/infos to consumers.
http://consumerist.com/consumer/exec...ars-301019.php
http://consumerist.com/consumer/phon...ice-258858.php
Old 04-08-2008, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's why you don't go to sears. They're overpriced and the customer service is terrible.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I saw a valet torch my old car into a parking garage in Tampa many years ago.

If I ever heard of my car being abused while it was in somewhere for SERVICE, man I don't know what I would have done. I may have been put up on battery charges myself.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is the first time I've heard of this.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:03 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

k-mart owns sears
Old 04-08-2008, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PRODIGY??? SOMEONE TORCHED YOUR CAR!? WHY!?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

somebody would have to die.....
Old 04-08-2008, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Well, I've seen valet attendants who floor it in REVERSE! You'd cry if you hear an engine go "wheeeehh" zooming past you in reverse gear
Old 04-08-2008, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

his life would end at my discretion

Old 04-08-2008, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my car was at a toyota dealership once and it was getting warrenty work done for the 6 disc indash player. well i usually walk around and look at the cars n what not when im there, nd what do i see? a fm tc rolling into the lot. it was from a distance and i said to my self, nice another modded FM. i get closer and realize that its my damn car. i talked to the service manager (i had met him before) and i let him know and all he said was that the tech had to go and pick it up at the warehouse. i was in utter disbelief. i literally took 30 min going over the car while the service manager was standing next to my car. i never went back there again. what i am trying to say is that the managers will most likely cover for their employees, yea you are important to them but they are the ones who actually bust their asses working for them.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I've worked at Sears Auto already, and many a dealership. Was at the Sears Auto in Swansea, MA to be specific. Won't disclose the dealership location though.

Sears IMO was great people. Respectful, etc. Never once seen a car abused to be honest. The computer training is too much of a PITA for just some shmuck whos looking for a crappy job to go through with. Your buddy mightve gotten a dud that does in no way represent all sears auto shops.

Dealerships... from what I have seen are chock full of _______ techs who only car about getting something done as fast as possible to make a buck. Cut corners galore, etc. Everything from abusing the whining customers 6th time in for warranty issues, to hitting on the barely legal office girls while waiters cars sat in their bay.

Thats all based on a GMC dealership shop, the Toyota shop was pretty good from what I experienced.

Also, never get a complimentary car wash at your dealer. I've seen so many damaged vehicles due to porters its insane. From scratches at the car was to lighting a front end of a Tacoma on fire by accident, putting it out, rubbing compound, wax and done. And the owners were never told.

Was a great experience, but i'm glad I decided not to become a tech.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by RCZDesigns
Also, never get a complimentary car wash at your dealer.
I learned that the hard way. I thought I was getting VIP treatment when my car was given a complimentary wash during service; boy I was wrong! I got her back but after a few days I noticed some light swirls on the paintjob! Booo! Never again. (My rims also got chipped on the lug nut part, probably when they rotated my wheels. It didn't bother me coz they were only the stock ones. But still...)
Old 04-08-2008, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Thats not all bad... one of the new kids ran a car through the wash, hopped the track rails and scraped the front fender and drivers door against a steel support for the scrubbers before coming to a stop. Needed new bumper, fender, and door. Poor customer
Old 04-08-2008, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Joyriding was actually witnessed by my buddy. The tech driving wasn't even the tech assigned to his car. There was deliberate over-revving, tire smoking during acceleration, and a very audible supercharger whine going into higher RPMs during what was claimed to have been a "road-test" after an alignment to ensure that it was "going straight"...
Old 04-08-2008, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hotline:
1-800-549-4505

Email us your questions, comments and experiences
or send a letter to:

Sears National Customer Relations
3333 Beverly Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60179

Talk to the Store manager of the retail store or ask to be put in touch with the District Auto manager
Old 04-08-2008, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Damn, JMD83. I didn't know it was that bad. What are you hoping to get out of them, anyways? An apology, some compensation, or some lower-level techs' heads rolling down the table?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Just curious, what kind of car is it that is in question of abuse?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jurassic. umm i do not know about you. but some does that to any car they do not own. should not be working on customers cars.

also getting this down on record if anything happeneds to his buddies car for lets say someone redlining it. he will have someone and some place to go. people who have good equipment in any car tend to take care of it and not push it to the limits. unless they have the money to replace the part. so he is probably going to get the guy fired. as he should be. you do not smoke the tire to road test a car no matter what you have it in for. if it needs that then by all means his buddy should be the one to do just that. not the tech