Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Servicing at Scion Dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

welll to tell you the truth the only problem i had with my toyota/scion dealer was that they wouldn't do my oil change with the oil i brought. i brought the filter from them but they wouldn't do it. i wouldn't have mind to pay extra either but i just wanted to use my own oil. Other then that customer services is really great they are nice and whenever i need help looking for parts, they help find exectlly what you need
east coast toyota/scion in carlstadt
Old 10-14-2008, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would use the dealer if they would simply do the Toyota-mandated service. Unfortunately, they have a long list of their own "recommended" service items and you have to be careful that you don't get reamed.

You take the car in and the routine goes something like this:

Customer: My xB needs a 20,000 mile service.
Service Writer: OK, I'll put you down for the recommended service.
Customer: Is that an oil change, tire rotation and inspection, like the owner's manual specifies?
Service Writer: Oh yes, but we also adjust the belts and brakes, reverse-flush the cooling system, and (bla bla bla), It's only $175.00
Customer: No, I just want the Toyota-mandated service, nothing extra.
Service Writer: That isn't sufficient, we can't guarantee anything unless we do our recommended service....
(the conversation continues until the service writer runs out of high-pressure arguments and veiled threats that your car will self-destruct if you don't do everything they say)

That's why my car hasn't been in my dealer's service department since the three free oil changes were used up. Even on those free oil changes the service writers tried to turn the transaction into a profit center.

I doubt that there will ever be any change in this, because the profits in unneeded services are so great and many drivers are such suckers for paying for services that they don't need.