Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Someone spray painted my car!!!!!!!!?? bout Insurance..

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Someone spray painted my car!!!!!!!!?? bout Insurance..

Alright, so I'm pretty ____ed of cuz I go outside and there's a huge black line on my fresh silver paint. I tried washing it of with sum stuff but no good.

Does anyone with Allstate full coverage insurance know if this type of vandalism is covered cuz the office is closed and I'm concerned cuz I don't have $$ to repair it

Thanks

____
Old 05-22-2007, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They'd probably cover it... but you'll want to find out how much your deductible is first. And maybe get a quote from a shop as well... depending on how bad it is and how high your deductible is, it might be cheaper without going through insurance.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well since I'm only 16 its under my parents name (even tho I pay for EVERYTHING) and they have a good history with Allstate
and have $600 credited for deductibles so that's not a problem. But I don't know if they cover this type of vandalism.

____
Old 05-22-2007, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont bother with insurance because its a waste of time. Take it to a body shop and they'll wash it off for you for most likely no charge at all. Or go get Lacquer thinner and do it yourself. Get 2 soft sham mies. Soak one in Lacquer thinner and another keep it dry. Wipe the paint a little then wipe it off. If you wipe too hard or let it sit then itl take off your clear coat. Dont be afraid of wiping it, put some elbow into it but make sure you do it rite...

Disclaimer - I am not held responsible if you screw it up (your best off taking it to a local body shop)

I know this because some elderly ladies car was spray pained like crazy by some low life thug guys who would probably have more to eat if they stopped tagging the place. And she came over and I cleaned it off her deville for free. It took me a few minuets and if you use the right towels the right way there wont be harm.

If you are going to do it yourself make sure its lacquer thinner. That stuff for some reason used the right way wont take off car paint. Others will go deep in the paint or wont do anything at all.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a police report first! then fix it
Old 05-22-2007, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

^good advice. just be very careful if you do it yourself. might cause more harm than good.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yea i already got the police report in but im gonna see if the shop will charge or not cuz i dont want to end up going throught the clearcoat then having a whole new problem...what kind of cloths should i use to wipe it??
Old 05-22-2007, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah. Well if your going to do it yourself. Dont do a police report. If you screw it up then make it look like somebody els did it haha! Then youll get more insurance funds. Because instead of them repainting a section and clearing the whole door. Morea has to be painted
Old 05-22-2007, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look I paint cars for a living - IF you decide to get thinner and wipe the spraypaint off you will NOT got through the factory clear coat UNLESS you saok a rag in it and leave it in one place for around 15-20 min. You will however leave a residue that you will hvae to take off with a light polish. It'll take you aprox 3-5 rags to wipe it all clean and 2 rags to polish.

A body shop will charge you 1 labor hour per panel to remove the paint...which may or may not exceed your deductible. Just FYI
Old 05-22-2007, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i guess im gonna try it myself i mean i have used thinner to take of glue when i debadge a car nd it looked good so i guess ill try it cuz it goes from part of the front fender to the begining of the rear fender ...thanks for the advice to all
Old 05-22-2007, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

could you post pics of the damage? hope everything turns out alright.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

A good few years back I spray painted the engine bay of my EL Camino flat black. I got a few pretty good streaks of overspray on the WHITE fenders and through the vents in the hood, and that spray paint stayed on that car for years. I decided to clean it one day how I clean my Scion, and clayed it, and the spray paint came right off no sweat. I don't know how bad it is, but that may be worth lookin into...
Old 05-22-2007, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try maybe the turtle wax bug and tar remover? My first car got a long paint mark across it from another cars bumper, and putting some elbow into it, I was able to remove it all completely.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

just take ur time when u clean it and wash it off real good dont want it setting on ur paint too long just enough to get it off

GAH haters!
Old 05-22-2007, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just use some clay and/or polish
Old 05-22-2007, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Acetone is your best friend, it doesn't eat the clear coat. That's what I used in the past for my buddy's Celica.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

thanks everyone i got some thinner and polish and it looks good as new .....now to find out who did it ..
Old 05-22-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey kid, Did you by/for any reason, "bragged" or at least talked about your tC at school?
Or said your tC is stick and they checked it out and its not?

That might be a reason of the tagging, since other kids hate you when you get a brand new car!

Don't take it to the shop, they'll just do the same thing as the SL guys advised you to do and just use a PC random orbital polisher and some 3step high quality polish to fix the problem.

They charge around 600 for it, if it's a big mark, around 800... They'll say, they stripped and repainted it...

BTW: PLEASE DO NOT BE ASHAMED TO SEND PICS OF THE TAG JOB!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

nah i havent bragged but people seen me in it nd btw it is stick....but i cleaned it off now didnt take pics tho and it was just a big black line throught the car not a specific tag
Old 05-22-2007, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

heres a pic i just took its the side that got painted but no trace left

Quick Reply: Someone spray painted my car!!!!!!!!?? bout Insurance..