Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Stock tint is now illegal in VA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stock tint is now illegal in VA?

I'm sure you know the usual story, but here's the real question.

Cop last night pulls out his meter and certifies that my xB's front windows are legal but my back two are NOT.

"It doesn't matter what the dealership tells you, they don't care. They'll sell it and install it- it's still illegal."

VA is 35%, right?

How can I get something certified that my 100% from the factory tint is legal?

Failing that..... or if it's just too much of a pain...... how do I remove the stock tint?
Old 03-30-2006, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The back windows don't have a film the glass is tinted you would have to replace all of your glass and I would bet that nobody even makes clear glass for Scions. (on a side note i saw one once in a magazine and it looked kinda cool.)
i couldn't imagine the cost or replacing the rear glass and the rear windows in each door plus the small piece in each door and getting the rear defost and radio antenna in the glass.

The cop has to be wrong. It looks like you get to go to court and fight a ticket. I would get as much documentation as possible about the factory tint. I would also talk to another cop that has one of those meters and explain your story (nicely) and have him test your windows, The cop that gave you the ticket must have a malfuntioning detector.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1052

According to the code, it looks like xBs are in violation, which sucks, unless the xB is considered a Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle (MPV). I didn't see anything in the code about vehicles that come from factory tinted. You should be able to ask a lawyer for some advice without paying him/her any fees.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:00 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

yeah... there's really no tint (film) on the back windows... so the cop's wrong about dealerships installing anything.

there is no practical way to have your back windows replaced... that means they have to hunt down every single xB in the state and nail them too, as well as perhaps outlaw selling them at all... like that's gonna happen.

go to court, explain that the car came like this from the factory. no film, it's the window, all cars are like that. you shouldn't pay fees for something beyond your control.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:57 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Call Scion! <===

Call the Scion Customer Experience at 1.866.70.SCION Monday through Friday from 5am to 6pm and Saturday 7am to 4pm PST.

Explain to them that you have just been ticketed in VA for the factory tinted rear windows, that you have not added any tint to the factory windows, and you need their assistance in preparing for your court appearance.

(At the very least you would like a letter FROM SCION explaining to the court that the windows are legal as delivered, and citing both state and federal law if possible.)

The folks at Scion SHOULD be very interested in assisting you.

Please keep us informed!
Old 03-30-2006, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Idiot VA officer. Typical. Was it near Fairfax by any chance? Those clowns are known for being outlandish. The cop is wrong. Tell him to learn the code or quit his job.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Old 04-01-2006, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I remember watching a news story a few months back about the tint law in VA. They used a PT Cruiser as an example, the rear windows came tinted from the factory and a police officer said it was in violation because of the grade of tinting. I really think it's BS, but I agree with Tomas about getting the letter from Scion, I don't think fighting the ticket in court will help unless you have an explaination from the manufacturer.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

This is why I would never live in VA

4 years of school there was plenty enough!
Old 04-01-2006, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

I don't know any place short or Mayberry RFD where the cops don't have better things to do!
Sorry, had to vent.
These tools give cops a bad name.
Sorry, but tinted windows hardly rate on the scale of things to track down and cite.
Reminds me of watching these shows where they setup stings to nail the prostitutes/johns. They all get so excited over the catching of these "hardcore criminals" that they pat themselves on the backs and act like they just secured Tehran.
Give me a break, and do something useful.

Waste of taxpayer's money.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:47 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Federal law > local law. Anywhere in the US. The xBs rear windows are legal, per federal law, whether or not your state says you cannot have them.

And there is one xB in the US with clear windows all around, He is a former member on SL. It cost him many thousands of dollars to get the windows. He never said how much, but it was somewhere around $5k a set, and he had two imported since the first arrived damaged.

You can fight this and you will win. Toyota sells legal cars.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you go to court bring your car tax records and inspection information. Politely remind them that the Scions are sold this way. As a side note, the windows are not tinted. There is no film on them. The glass is the color you see it. Also, might want to ask about the thousands of other Scions registered in Virginia that aren't getting tickets, yet have the exact same windows.

Post your court date and location. Maybe we can get some current xB owners to rally at the courthouse and show up as witnesses
Old 04-01-2006, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by imsono___un
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1052

According to the code, it looks like xBs are in violation, which sucks, unless the xB is considered a Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle (MPV).
The xB is classified as an MPV (at least on my 2004). Check your driver side sticker.

Maicca - don't pay the fine. Take it to court. Take a pic of your drivers side sticker and show it to the judge as proof.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Max
Federal law > local law. Anywhere in the US. The xBs rear windows are legal, per federal law, whether or not your state says you cannot have them.

And there is one xB in the US with clear windows all around, He is a former member on SL. It cost him many thousands of dollars to get the windows. He never said how much, but it was somewhere around $5k a set, and he had two imported since the first arrived damaged.

You can fight this and you will win. Toyota sells legal cars.
there is another one btw.....

Old 04-01-2006, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

carry a box of doughnuts...when he asks for your license and registration, hand them to him. but slip a doughnut underneath. tell him you once personally met don knotts. if nothing else works, tell him you must have tint because you are legally blind and the light hurts yours, then squint a lot. ...just some ideas
Old 04-01-2006, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

I find it too funny that people would PAY extra - lots extra for clear windows when the first thing everyone here tells you to do (after: LOWER IT) is to get tint! :lmao:

Scott
Old 04-02-2006, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry that I haven't checked on this since the original post.

I was pulled over for another "illegal modification" of my car, not for the tint.

It wasn't what I was ticketed for that got me angry- it was what he said that he was "letting me get away with."

Where is this stated? As in, the federal law that is greater than the Fairfax County Police?

I mean, IS there a law that's higher than the FFX police?
Old 04-02-2006, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Title or Registration will call the xB a SUV/MPV and that's all you need to show it's legal.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:14 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Maicca
Federal law > local law. Anywhere in the US. The xBs rear windows are
legal, per federal law, whether or not your state says you cannot have them.
Where is this stated? As in, the federal law that is greater than the Fairfax County Police?

I mean, IS there a law that's higher than the FFX police?
Heheheheheh... The VA law on window tints and obstructions starts out with these words:
§ 46.2-1052. Tinting films, signs, decals, and stickers on windshields, etc.; penalties.

A. Except as otherwise provided in this article or permitted by federal law, it shall be unlawful
for any person to operate any motor vehicle on a highway with any sign, poster, colored or
tinted film, sun-shading material, or other colored material on the windshield, front or rear side
windows, or rear windows of such motor vehicle.
I strongly suspect that the multibillion dollar Toyota Motor Company, its engineers, designers,
and lawyers, know a lot more about what is legal on a vehicle under federal (and state) laws
than your common LEO...especially since they sell what, a million plus vehicles here in the US
every year?

Tom
Old 04-02-2006, 06:26 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

well.. in that case.. you're still okay because the windows don't have any film or material on them....

it's the windows themselves. soo umm.. instead of on them.. it's in them.

Quick Reply: Stock tint is now illegal in VA?