Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Thinking bout joining the army....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Default Thinking bout joining the army....

ok this is only for people that are enlisted and can answer some questions for me and tell me everything there is to know. I don't need to be lied to by the army recruiters. I need to know from REAL people.

I am thinking of joining to start my life over again. My fiance broke up with me so now i am looking to start my life over. The army is one option i have always wanted to explore but have always been a little afraid to do. The one thing stopping me is i am VERY afraid of heights.

So if someone could post on here the pros and cons of army life so i can weigh the options i would definitely appreciate it. Right now my only bills are my car, a credit card,and my car insurance. so i don't really have anything holding me back.

Let me know everything there is to know bout army life and what i should be ready for. Even as far as pay as a n E1 private and how everything starts out. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:45 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I have been in the Army for seven years and I love it. For me, the positives def outweigh the negatives. One thing you will have to get used to is moving around. You will be moving roughly every 2-4 years. You get great benefits... medical, dental etc. The pay really isn't to bad and it is getting better all the time. You WILL be going to Iraq or Afghanistan so make sure you are ready for that. In all honesty I really don't mind being deployed but some people HATE it. If there are any specific questions that you have let me know. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do man.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by lil_will
I have been in the Army for seven years and I love it. For me, the positives def outweigh the negatives. One thing you will have to get used to is moving around. You will be moving roughly every 2-4 years. You get great benefits... medical, dental etc. The pay really isn't to bad and it is getting better all the time. You WILL be going to Iraq or Afghanistan so make sure you are ready for that. In all honesty I really don't mind being deployed but some people HATE it. If there are any specific questions that you have let me know. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do man.
Basically need EVERY question answered. Like what is the starting pay? How do I send money back home to pay for my car and bills? What kinda benefits are there? How long is basic training? What happens during basic training? What happens after? How long before I am deployed to iraq? How do they deal with people afraid of heights? Are u allowed any personal belongings like my camera setup, how often do u get to write home or get on the internet? How long before u are allowed a leave? How long is leave? How long is ur term? How long before I have the option of becoming a civilian that can do what they want again? Basically everything. Are there any discounts for the military once I get back home? How would I handle paying my bills while deployed? The list keeps going. Ha ha

What are the cons for u? If that isn't too personal.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heyy....Staff Sergeant Recruiter Jameson, haven't seen you in a while, how ya doin?!
Old 10-02-2008, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Elijahtc
Basically need EVERY question answered. Like what is the starting pay? How do I send money back home to pay for my car and bills? What kinda benefits are there? How long is basic training? What happens during basic training? What happens after? How long before I am deployed to iraq? How do they deal with people afraid of heights? Are u allowed any personal belongings like my camera setup, how often do u get to write home or get on the internet? How long before u are allowed a leave? How long is leave? How long is ur term? How long before I have the option of becoming a civilian that can do what they want again? Basically everything. Are there any discounts for the military once I get back home? How would I handle paying my bills while deployed? The list keeps going. Ha ha

What are the cons for u? If that isn't too personal.
http://usmilitary.about.com

Answered all of my questions.... aaaaand then I broke my leg in half right before I was going to go into the Air Force.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck.