Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Vice presidential debate

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 01:35 AM
SL Member

Default Vice presidential debate

Who's watching it? I'm sitting here wanting to strangle Palin. She is avoiding every question that is asked and she is just trying to shoot down Biden who is kicking back even harder with facts and points which she seems to have miss placed. I just can't see how she thinks she is doing well right now, she keeps saying the same thing over and over. Also, Biden is having a bit of trouble speaking at some points so thats one bad thing for him. I'm split right now on who I want to be in office however I don't really matter being 16. I wanna know what you guys think so this thread is for you guys watching to talk about it.

Also, did anyone hear Palin when she walked out and went up to Biden? Her exact words "Can I call you Joe?" Lol as Biden says good luck...way to go Palin!

-Talk it up
Old 10-03-2008, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Palin is a damn idiot.

What she lacks in knowledge, she attempts to make up for in "cuteness".

The SNL bits with her are spectacular!!
Old 10-03-2008, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it's one thing I've learned... is that most people's opinion on the debate formed far before tonight's events.

No matter what the other said, didn't say, appeared, etc... doesn't matter... you're already know who you're voting for.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by senseiturtle
If it's one thing I've learned... is that most people's opinion on the debate formed far before tonight's events.

No matter what the other said, didn't say, appeared, etc... doesn't matter... you're already know who you're voting for.
So? While that may be true (especially in this election), would you rather we didn't do any debates at all?

I don't have cable. I'll wait until it's YouTube'd. Nobody spoil it for me.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CDogbert
So? While that may be true (especially in this election), would you rather we didn't do any debates at all?
No, I'm not proposing the opposite... I'm just stating that in today's instant-access-communication, we've had at minimum, 3 months of constant debate ground up, analyzed, politically tainted and "spun" , and regurgitated on 24 hour news networks.

Honestly... didn't everyone here already know exactly where both candidates stood?

Like Labor Unions, the actual function of the debate has fallen into irrelevancy. At this point, we do it out of tradition. Perhaps the ONLY function they still serve, is to get an idea of how the candidate would address the nation as a whole DIRECTLY, rather than a small group at a rally.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:51 AM
SL Member

Peoples opinions could have changed greatly tonight as I would hope not many people thought Palin did a great job during this debate due to the fact that she never addressed any issues at hand and all she tried to do was be that person that the american people "like" because she's hip and tries to be cool, she is not professional at all and I don't think that is the way to act when you are running for VP of our country.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with what you guys have said. Palin showed herself to not have the facts and she didn't have a plan on anything.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I don't care who she is or what she stands for, she is HOTTTTTTTTTT...
Old 10-03-2008, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One of the correspondents mentioned she failed to differentiate McCain from Bush which was critical tonight. I only got to see the wrap-up though.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tyler, I can essentially tell you what each network is going to say..

CNN / MSNBC / ABC / CBS and company ---- Biden clearly won, palin was terrible, etc. etc.

FOX --- Palin was awesome, biden was terrible, etc. etc.

Olbermann will go on his usual tirade. Limbaugh will go on his usual tirade. The ladies on the View will make worthless statements about clothing choices and ill-informed comments, etc. etc.

Just more of the same old crap, which of course, means very little right before elections. There's only one "opinion poll" that matters, and that'll happen in a month.... arguably, it only matters in those "states that count."
Old 10-03-2008, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by senseiturtle
No, I'm not proposing the opposite... I'm just stating that in today's instant-access-communication, we've had at minimum, 3 months of constant debate ground up, analyzed, politically tainted and "spun" , and regurgitated on 24 hour news networks.

Honestly... didn't everyone here already know exactly where both candidates stood?

Like Labor Unions, the actual function of the debate has fallen into irrelevancy. At this point, we do it out of tradition. Perhaps the ONLY function they still serve, is to get an idea of how the candidate would address the nation as a whole DIRECTLY, rather than a small group at a rally.
When you put it that way, yes, I agree wholeheartedly with you. I like to think that the debates take that three months of constant debate, and fire a concentrated stream of it directly into the candidates' mouths. How they react to the questions we have, per se, and not their stances on issues which we already know.

It just got put on the youtubes, and I just started watching it a minute ago. Fred Thompson is an a'hole. He's pulling the same spin-and-dodge s' that Palin just got grilled for... when talking about Palin. I did like how, when they tried to cut him off the first time, he just went into long exposition. Classy move, Senator.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well yeah, every news agency is gonna be biased...I'm just waiting like Dogbert for it to make its way to Youtube so I can see more than the last 2 minutes.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also like to think Katie Couric has sort of... we'll say emboldened interviewers, especially of major networks, to not take softball answers anymore. It's refreshing to see interviewers go "but back to what I was talking about..." and I hope this trend continues so I'm not so cynical about the news media anymore.

EDIT: "well, neither of you really answered that question"... This is gonna be awesome.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Biden won this. Everyone of the analysis are saying that a Palin did a great job for herself, but did nothing for the Mccain campaign. I felt the same way. That she did better than I thought she would. But exactly what are we comparing it to....her past interviews, which were disheartening and just amazed at how stupid she is.

After only 20 mins into the debate she already dodging questions? Come On, can a VP really be "not sure" on important stuff? Like can we allow that type of person to make decisions where it matters? No one thinks she is capable of being commander and chief, and I for one think the nation would fall apart if she did get put into that position.

When a critical moment arises, we don't have time for Palin to say..."Wait a minute while I look up the answer".
Old 10-03-2008, 04:39 AM
SL Member

"No one thinks she is capable of being commander and chief"

what do you mean by this???
Old 10-03-2008, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Palin did far better than expected, as far as her physically being there and asserting herself, even if she didn't answer a single question. So admittedly, she wasn't the trainwreck I was expecting.

However, she dodged all of the issues, and Biden had the facts to not only back up all of his statements but also effectively shut her up.

Again, it wasn't a coup on either side, but Biden clearly had this debate wrapped up.

I loved Olbermann asking the Hawaii governor why Palin dodged all of the questions. She honestly said that was 'an excellent debate strategy'. I'm sorry, but in what debate is deliberately avoiding the questions considered a strategy??
Old 10-03-2008, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by theoneandonly
"No one thinks she is capable of being commander and chief"

what do you mean by this???

If the Commander and Chief = President. Should something happen to the President, the VP steps in and becomes President. NO one is confident that she being in that position to potentially assume the rank of President, would be a good thing.

President often referred to as the "Commander and Chief" because he controls the Military.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I, personally, loved when she said she was "talking to the American people, and maybe not answering questions the way Biden or the moderator would like." It's a debate, not a press conference. Why have a moderator when you aren't even going to listen to them? I realize that Ifill had to maintain a level of tactfulness and not appear "biased", but I would have just cut her off and said "actually, you DO have to talk about the topics I say. that's my job."
Old 10-03-2008, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

^ Exactly. Biden also won a lot of points when he became visibly emotional when referencing his wife and children in the (just because I'm a man, it doesn't mean I don't know what it's like to wonder if a child is going to make it)
Meanwhile, Palin was just a caricature of herself. She seemed phony when trying to be folksy and seemingly devoid of human emotion.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

And if she said the word "Maverick" one more freakin time....I could have jumped through the TV! I think Biden felt my pain on that as at the end he was like...."Let me get on this Maverick you keep talking about". He put it a nice way, but he might as well have said...."Fool, his **** ain't no Maverick", and I would have been perfectly fine with that comeback....LOL (even in it's Ebonics, ghetto fashion I just put it...lol).

Quick Reply: Vice presidential debate