Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

wamu seized and bankrupt..

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default wamu seized and bankrupt..

so what does this mean? will all the accounts be frozen for a period of time?
will the bank continue to work as normal but under a different owner? I dont get it.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

btw it was bought out by another bank.. I wonder if checking will still be free and all the same rules will remain?
Old 09-26-2008, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Wamu went under? Where have I been.

I heard theres really no "down time" when something like this happens. Some other sister company or whatever takes over the duties. Thats what I was told anyway.

Kind of sad too, I have a nice little credit card with Wamu that I would love to be washed away, haha.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1222...gn2008_mostpop

largest bank failure in us history
Old 09-26-2008, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Wow. I hope BOA isn't on the block too, it's too much of a pain for me to move banks. Damn economy.

Wamu was terrible anyway IMO. I forgot to call in a payment on vacation and it immediately got sent to collections and got a dent in my credit. I called to try to explain since I have been a good customer, and the 3 different people I talked to were *****.

Anyway i'm sure you don't have anything to worry about... the new company instantly steps up and makes it like nothing is changed. If they made it noticable for you that something was wrong, thats losing customers, which is losing them money. They do NOT want to lose money, haha.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: wamu seized and bankrupt..

Originally Posted by RnB180
so what does this mean? will all the accounts be frozen for a period of time?
will the bank continue to work as normal but under a different owner? I dont get it.
Nothing will be frozen. It was bought by JP Morgan & Chase. You'll get new paperwork and ATM cards in the mail. Resume banking as normal.

I on the other hand HATE Chase. I had a personal issue with them 2 years ago and cancelled 4 credit cards I had with them. Extremely ____-poor customer service. I will be opening an account with Bank of America and close out my WaMu, now Chase, accounts.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The government seized banking giant Washington Mutual last night and then sold some pieces of it to JPMorgan Chase for approximately $1.9 billion. Here is how this will affect former Washington Mutual consumers:

What will happen to my bank account?
If you had an account with Washington Mutual Bank yesterday, you now have an account with JPMorgan Chase Bank. All deposit accounts, including savings, checking, money market, and retirement accounts and certificates of deposit, have been transferred to JPMorgan Chase Bank. No depositor has lost any money, even if it was above FDIC insurance limits. Direct deposits and Social Security checks will continue as normal.

Can I get access to my money today?
Your debit card and bill-paying services will continue to work. You can still use the checks you have now, and checks already written that did not clear before the institution closed will be honored if there are sufficient funds in the account. Local branches will be open as usual. "For bank customers, it will be a seamless transition," FDIC Chairman Sheila Bair said in a statement. "There will be no interruption in services, and bank customers should expect business as usual come Friday morning."

What about my loan or mortgage?
All Washington Mutual loans have been assumed by JPMorgan Chase Bank. Payment amounts and due dates will not change, and automatic payments will still work. Customers should continue to make checks out to Washington Mutual Bank.

Will my interest rate change?
Interest on deposits accrued through Sept. 25, 2008, will be paid at the previously stated rate. JPMorgan Chase Bank will be reviewing rates and will provide customers with information at a later date.

What if I already have an account with JPMorgan Chase and the combined balance will put me over the FDIC insurance limit?
Your transferred deposits will be separately insured from any accounts you may already have at JPMorgan Chase Bank for six months.

CDs from Washington Mutual are separately insured until the earliest maturity date after the end of the six-month grace period. If a CD matures during the six-month period and is renewed for the same term and in the same dollar amount, it will continue to be separately insured until the first maturity date after the six-month period. If a CD matures during the six-month grace period and is renewed on any other basis, it would be separately insured only until the end of the six-month grace period.

What if I have other questions about the transition?
Customers can call a Washington Mutual banking representative at 1-800-788-7000 or the FDIC Call Center at 1-877-275-3342 with questions. You can calculate your FDIC insurance coverage for each FDIC-insured bank where you have deposit accounts using this calculator.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Yea this is pretty sad, things are not looking good for the economy, specially with that Bailout being planned. Luckily BoA is buying someone else out (cant remember who atm) and that will bring them up back to #1 as far as bankers go so BoA customers should not worry too much
Old 09-26-2008, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think its time to switch out of WAMU as well. I have never had an issue with them what so ever... but I think this would be big enough to jump ship. Unless the interest rates changed in my favor. But I dont know, or even think that would happen right now.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wells Fargo FTW!!! Man that sucks for WaMu. I heard alot of people talking about this. But all we can do is hope it gets better...
Old 09-26-2008, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Wells Fargo and BOA should be safe from what I heard.. They're some of the few banks that have enough to buy out other banks.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sucks though I have to set up a different payment method for my child support
Old 09-27-2008, 05:48 PM
SL Member

There is nothing to fear about WAMU being baught out. They were baught by the Largest bank in the US. Chase only baught the deposits, and branches. Chase did not purchase theire mortgage department, only the retail part of WAMU. these things include all checking/saving accounts, credit card accounts, and business banking and investments. As for now WAMU branches will still be named WAMU but will probably be renamed in the future to Chase. Everything is still going to operate as it has been over the years. If there is any major changes you will probably receive a letter outlineing those changes. There is no reason to "jump ship". Of course if you have stock in WAMU and haven't sold it yet, i recommending selling ASAP. The WAMU stock is down to $0.16 a share. All that is still WAMU is their mortgages.

Some of you might wonder how i got all my information. Most of what i have said you can find out by reading articles on any news website under business, or money sections. If you still don't understand after reading those articles let me know. I will be happy to answer any questions you have about this topic.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by theoneandonly
Some of you might wonder how i got all my information. Most of what i have said you can find out by reading articles on any news website under business, or money sections. If you still don't understand after reading those articles let me know. I will be happy to answer any questions you have about this topic.
Wouldn't it be a good time to buy stock in WAMU since its so low and I would assume will go up once Chase takes control?
Old 09-27-2008, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

At some point it will simply cease to exist.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by theoneandonly
There is nothing to fear about WAMU being baught out. They were baught by the Largest bank in the US. Chase only baught the deposits, and branches. Chase did not purchase theire mortgage department, only the retail part of WAMU. these things include all checking/saving accounts, credit card accounts, and business banking and investments. As for now WAMU branches will still be named WAMU but will probably be renamed in the future to Chase. Everything is still going to operate as it has been over the years. If there is any major changes you will probably receive a letter outlineing those changes. There is no reason to "jump ship". Of course if you have stock in WAMU and haven't sold it yet, i recommending selling ASAP. The WAMU stock is down to $0.16 a share. All that is still WAMU is their mortgages.

correct Chase only bought assets not Wamu..they just went belly up
Old 09-28-2008, 04:18 AM
SL Member

Right now is not a good time to buy WAMU stock. They just filled for chapter 11 bankruptcy. If you want to buy stock i recommend buying JP Morgan Chase stock. It is on an increase since they bought part of WAMU.

You have nothing to fear about accounts being frozen or having to pay fees now. If you have less then $100,000 for single people and $200,000 if married, you have nothing to worry about. it is FDIC insured. You can even check out their website at: www.fdic.gov