Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

xd or xb2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xd or xb2?

Hey guys, help me decide. The main factor is fuel economy and for the most part, reading the forums it seems rather subjective.

I also read edmunds, which helped me to get the xa, however I need more room and an automatic. I see from edmunds some claim of 40 or more mpg for the xd where as the xb2 is more like 35-40mpg at 55mph, but higher highway speeds kills fuel economy. Not that bad then, as I drive like I want and get 35 mpg from my xa and with careful driving hit 40mpg and man the xb 2 had more room in front, back and cargo area.

Basically I have ms and stress, weather effects me. It makes me sore, tired, weak, sharp pain like nails in my hip, knee, ankle, neck,shoulder, back and generally at times not feel well.

I settled on the xa as the toy dealer did not seemed interested in selling me a prius. Yeah, I want a prius, but the dealer just does not seem that interested.

So, as it stands, I am looking at the two cars. My dealer said they would match car max and give extra for the scion acessories they first decline too. Carmax has a 7 day limit on offer to buy your car or take it in trade, but they have some gently used prius cars with around 8 thousand miles. THe dealer despite many times I have asked about yaris or carolla seems dead set on me getting a scion and the price seems right and its loaded with what I want, ac and cruse plus automatic.

Someways I want the xd for the fuel economy, but in others I feel like I may need more leg room and the soft fluffy like seats may cause some problems down the road.

I like the roomieness of the xb, the leg room to extend your legs, but worry about 30 or so mpg or heaven forbid less as I drive 26 miles a day and currently fill up twice a month of 300 miles at about 8.5 gallons.

The only real burning decision maker is the active head rests. I drive my disabled mother to appointments and she has a fused neck, she can not move or turn her neck. I see the xd has active head restraints. I am thinking this maybe bad for her and push me into the xb2.

Onthe other hand the prius can get killer fuel economy, has the room, an automatic, just 24 grand to pay off. 3 years at 500 bucks or so a month. If gas stays at 4 bucks a gallon, thats 75000 miles to break even for paying 8 or so grand more. Or 2 years for the scion at 300 or so a month minus the trade or so.

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Aside from saving the environment, I hate hybrid cars. With a passion.

You say you drive 26 miles per day, probably 5 days a week. Let's make that 30 miles per day to account for running around on the weekend.

30mpg x 5days=150 miles per week.

52 weeks x 150 miles=7800 miles per year.

Lets add in 1200 miles for road trips.

That's 9000 miles per year.

75,000 miles (your break even point) divided by 9,000 miles per year= 8.3 years.

It would take you 8 years and 4 months to break even.

Even at 15,000 miles a year, it would take you 5 years to break even.

In 5-8 years, do you think better alternatives to today's hybrids will be around? I do. But aside from a 3 or 4 year run, the xD's and xB2's would have moved on to something else, and Scions hold their value. Hybrids hold their value against TODAY's gas savers.

At any rate, the deciding factor should be which one meets your needs. Don't let the salesman make the decision. And if Toyota is meeting Carmax's trade in price, that's wonderful.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

id recommend a corolla if it was me. i think they got bigger with this model. and they still get insane gas mileage. comfy dependable (i had 2) and comfortable.

have you looked into a used vehicle? a first gen xb wont be good for you i know that one. i dont have any problems but after a 10 hour drive you want to start swinging punches your so uncomfortable.

Hyundai/Kia stepped up in the reliability dept in the past 5 years and you may be able to find a good deal on a echo if you can deal basically with an older, smaller xA :-P
Old 10-08-2008, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks. I have driven almost 25,000 miles since March of 07. 6 years and I will break even or less. I hope auto designers can blow our minds, but having said that, econoboxes start off with supreme economy, then they grow in power and size til they are neither and get discontinued. I maybe better off with the prius.

I rented a carolla, it got 20mpg like the jeep commander and matrix s with awd The morono from nissan I drove got 27mpg. The dealer seems just interested in the scion models even though I have mentioned them.