Notices
Photography & Video A place to discuss and display cameras, equipment and photographs.

D7100

Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default D7100

i'm like many people i imagine that had been scouting the D7000. word on the street is hold off now as the D7100 has been announced to come out this year.

just thought i'd get the word out if people on this board didn't already know. all speculation as of now but its apparently been seen on a few documents that its coming.

i havent seen any specs or details. i imagine it will just refine the D7000 just like the D3100 did for the D3000 and D5100 did for the D5000.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

They're updating too frequently IMO. What happened to the 2-3 year product cycle? Anyway, what I'm really looking forward to is the D600 especially since they're saying it will have a built in AF motor now. That was a deal breaker early on.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well the D7000 was a 2010 release. i think it was the extreme backlog of availability all the way through 2011 that made it seem so recent. so it's still on that 2-3 year cycle.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, I feel no need to upgrade from my D7000. I really wish that Nikon would start putting the ISO button on the right side so I didn't have to take the camera way from my face to adjust that setting. Can't set the Fn button to ISO adjust either.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheFantasticG
Honestly, I feel no need to upgrade from my D7000.
i had a feeling a D7000 owner was gonna say that. i'm excited to see what the upgrades to the D7000 are going to be on this next model.
Originally Posted by TheFantasticG
I really wish that Nikon would start putting the ISO button on the right side so I didn't have to take the camera way from my face to adjust that setting. Can't set the Fn button to ISO adjust either.
unless you're a diehard M shooter you can adjust the iso with the aft rotating selector on the right side of the camera. but you can only do it i believe in A and S. my standard shooting setup is A since the camera gets the shutter speed right like 95% of the time. very seldom (usually in low light) do i have to rotate to M and manually set the shutter speed. shooting with a D90 (not sure if they changed this function on the D7000) i can set my iso to be changed without holding down the iso button on the left side. the forward wheel adjusts the aperture, the camera adjusts the shutter speed, and the aft wheel adjusts the iso.

in the camera's menu interface, it's under "shooting/display", then iso display and adjustment, and select "show iso/easy iso". hopefully that still works on the D7000 for you. and hopefully they don't get rid of it on the D7100 either.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I shoot in M mode almost all of the time. Over 10,500 of my images in 2011 were shot in M mode because I shoot that much macro... That's why it's a PITA. Easy ISO doesn't work in M mode. One has to use the ISO button on the left hand side of the camera. There is plenty of room to put the ISO button by the AE-L button. I used it on my D90 when I had it. Would be alright if I could program the Fn button for ISO, but that isn't possible.

I'd have to wait until the D7200 or D7300 before I upgrade at the earliest. The D600 looks interesting, but I'd be shooting myself in the foot since I'd lose my extra reach that I get from my DX sensor.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

interesting. when you shoot A with the f/stop you're wanting does it just always give you underexposures or something? i know when i'm matrix metering and trying to shoot in low light i sometimes i have to go M or it will spit out underexposures.

maybe they will see this and add iso to the function key on the D7100 upgrade?
Old 06-02-2012, 10:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, it just adjusts shutter speed to what it thinks is proper exposure. Problem is that it if you don't have auto-iso set up and it's not setup high enough it'll start adjusting shutter speed down for correct exposure, way down.

They could add that option to the Fn button with a firmware update.