Notices
Photography & Video A place to discuss and display cameras, equipment and photographs.

So what do you think?

Old 08-02-2009, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default So what do you think?

O.k. - apologize in advance for loooong thread.
I have been a hobby photographer for a while but been more into it the past couple of years.

I have (had) a Canon Powershot S3 IS (SLR inspired) that has myteriously (literally) up and vanished. I have looked everywhere to try and find it thinking I may have misplaced it but it has not turned up anywhere.

Anyway, =me

I mean its not as fancy equipment but it is my equipment, to sound bratty.

SO, as a last resort, I have been looking on ebay at some deals on some other Canons but I have been thinking about going SLR.
I am going Canon only for the fact I have picked these bad boys up and woosh, know them and can work with them.
The only thing that has been keeping from doing so is my camera had video mode and it was used a few times a year, BUT, I do want to take my photography to the next level and possibly upgrade.

Now, the question is, what canon EOS would be something more convienient for me? I have been trying to compare and contrast but yeah, its not working by the specifics.

I do have a budget I will be working with, so nothing outlandish in price range....(remember, working with ebay trying to find the best cheapest deal lol)

I have been looking into the following:
Canon Rebel:
XT
XTI
XS
XSI

I was looking at the new t1i but even a used one is out of my range.

I was also thinking a 50d, but again, out of price range. but maybe a 30d?

I do a lot of landscape shots, architecture, sunsets/rises, moon shots.
I do some slight automobile shots, but only when I either see a car I really want a photo of or be asked to photograph someones car.

I do however want to branch into photographing models.
I have some knowledge of this as being one myself so I can grasp the concept of angles and poses and such and have actually already had a couple contact me to shoot them.
I wont be photographing car models, but more like models for advertisements and such (ie, commercial and editorial)

SO, of the above listed for me, which one would be the most versitile to tackle all the photographing I do that would be the most optimum for me?
Old 08-02-2009, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is your price range
Old 08-02-2009, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, from what I have found on ebay so far, the best deals I have seen are ranging $85-$150

but i am willing to pay some more but i dont want to go to some outrageous amounts... like something used selling close to new price.

Last edited by SammieD; 08-02-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you want a canon rebel xt/xti/xs/xsi for $85-$150?
Old 08-02-2009, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and I quote

Originally Posted by SammieD
well, from what I have found on ebay so far, the best deals I have seen are ranging $85-$150

but i am willing to pay some more but i dont want to go to some outrageous amounts... like something used selling close to new price.
I am not saying thats only what I will spend but I am not buying new, only used, unless I come across one that cheap new on ebay lol.

but thats what they are starting to sell for on ebay. a lot of people are just getting rid of them because they either need some fast cash, have upgraded and just want these gone or just dont want the equipment period. a lot of the sellers are not even placing reserves on them and are starting off the bids a $20 because they just want to get rid of them.

thats why i like ebay because you can run across GOOD deals as such.

its like a friend of mine got his xsi off ebay (body, 2 lenses, 2 filters, battery, charger, all cables manuals and software and a bag) all for 115 bucks. -lucky he was.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Fresh Crew
SL Member

craigslist is your friend Sammi. If you have any questions call me and we can talk.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tis true

Search this Thread