Regional - Deep South AL, AR, LA, MS

car scene in Louisiana

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default car scene in Louisiana

Hey guys I might enroll at Tulane University next year in fall. I really like the school and New Orleans seems like a really great city. I'm wondering what the auto scene is like there though. Are there many meets and auto cross events? What are the laws on modifications? I am really excited about going to school there and I really hope I can continue to be involved in the auto culture there :-)

-Drew
Old 12-08-2008, 03:25 PM
SL Member

the car scene is good in south and central lousiana. I would check in on the Scikotics web page. I know the Baton Rouge and Acadiana chpaters are very active. Since I', not a resedent of the New Orleans area you can contact on of those members to get the low dwn on events. State wide there are many car shows and a few auto crosses through the year. hope this helps
Old 12-08-2008, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: car scene in Louisiana

Originally Posted by x_Batman_x
Hey guys I might enroll at Tulane University next year in fall. I really like the school and New Orleans seems like a really great city. I'm wondering what the auto scene is like there though. Are there many meets and auto cross events? What are the laws on modifications? I am really excited about going to school there and I really hope I can continue to be involved in the auto culture there :-)

-Drew

I can answer any questions you might have. I lived in Baton Rouge for 4 years for undergrad, before moving up north for post-bac stuff.

Meets- Very regularly at the Lakefront, which is on the north side of the city, bordering lake Ponch. They also have 2 or 3 weekly meets in BR, used to be at BWW, but it's since moved around.

Autocross- Very strong. The region is officially DELTA, but they do a lot of stuff with CENLA, which is the BR chapter. They had a mirrorkhana (sp) at Zephyr's stadium about 3 weeks ago, and just wrapped up their annual Christmas classic. We also have a TLAC, which is a trans-louisiana-autocross challenge... where they give regional trophies to the best drivers in the state. In total, up to about 15 events per year, and with the option of driving to Biloxi for the mississippi stuff.

Laws on modifications-

As a state, VERY lenient. If you're out in the country, no one gives a rat's ****.
If you in a city, though, it's a bit tougher. In BR you MUST pass emissions. I believe in NOLA now, you must pass emissions. It's generally subjective though, with the usual (tint, colored headlights, WAY too loud exhaust).... but as a whole, it's not too bad.

They don't care about the usual modifications (no CARB requirement) and visual inspections only involve the presence of what looks like Catalytic Converters, without regard to how many the car's supposed to have. I even passed smog with a megan header, back when I had one.

----

In all, you'll find a welcome home for your hobby.

www.sportsnimports.com is a good place to start. I've known most of these guys for coming up on 6-7 years now.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow thanks a lot for the info guys, now I'm even more excited :-)

lol yeah I'm not running any cats but maybe it wont matter since it'l be registered as a MI car... though I really should add one anyway.... hah
Old 12-10-2008, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'll be able to keep the MI registration until you're employed in the state.

Keep your MI up to date, and you're golden down here.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh no I just found that Tulane does not allow freshmen to park their cars on campus!

thats annoying. I'll either have to go a year without my baby.....or find someway around that... lol
Old 12-11-2008, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by x_Batman_x
oh no I just found that Tulane does not allow freshmen to park their cars on campus!
It's work-able. Tulane doesn't have much in terms of parking lots, but that doesn't mean that there aren't tons of places around.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

hey man we have a scikotics chapter here in nola
Old 12-24-2008, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey man cant wait till u come out here so u can be repin SOUTHERN tC's!!!!! also it was nice talkin 2 u...hopefully we shall meet soon
Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

The car scene in general isnt really "all that", especially around the boat launches. Most of what you will see is either completely riced out or just poorly done. Though, on the rare occasion, you will see some clean cars. 10k+ HIDs and marine audio seem to be most popular mods. The tC doesnt get much respect down there just becuase there have been so many owners who rice it out and tear our rep to shreds. SoutherntCs is a group of owners though and are a ton of fun to hang out with.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yo thanx for the mad love and respect for our car club breaux_tC ...by the way we having a meet comin up this sunday u should come through
Old 01-07-2009, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha well hopefully I can come and help fix the tC's rep down there.

It was great talkin to you man, I definatlly hope to meet up with SoutherntCs. Seems like a great group.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by breaux_tC
The car scene in general isnt really "all that", especially around the boat launches. Most of what you will see is either completely riced out or just poorly done. Though, on the rare occasion, you will see some clean cars. 10k+ HIDs and marine audio seem to be most popular mods. The tC doesnt get much respect down there just becuase there have been so many owners who rice it out and tear our rep to shreds. SoutherntCs is a group of owners though and are a ton of fun to hang out with.
What exactly do you consider riced out? Seen a few that weren't pleasing to my eye but thats really up to how that person wanted to mod their car. Some people might go vip style with lots of chrome and chrome wheels, some prefer a cleaner look with a mild drop some tuner wheels and oem lip kit while others go wild with wide body kits, custom paint and custom stereo and Volks. If you want to hang out with people who dont judge you based on what your vision of your car looks like check out scikotics. Stock ride or modded the way you see fit, it doesn't matter to us. Not saying other clubs do or don't. We love all scion models tc, xb, xa and xd we take all scion enthusiast.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

^ i wasnt talking about just scions, i was speaking of the "car scene" in general
Old 01-07-2009, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we do as well accept stock ,customized, or trailer queens but we are just a Scion tC car club just needed 2 let that be known
Old 01-11-2009, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by breaux_tC
^ i wasnt talking about just scions, i was speaking of the "car scene" in general
True! There are alot of ricey other brand cars out there with the huge ironing board spoilers. lol
Old 01-24-2009, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports

DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

there's a lot of scion haters in the nola area, but hell, i think thats almost everywhere these days...

check out www.nostreetracing.org/ for the car scene in the area... domestic and imports site... there's a lot of clubs in nola from the scion only, imports only, autocross lovers, and the regular ricers..

no matter who you hang with, i'm sure you'll have a great time...
Old 03-22-2009, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just don't move to Houma LOL
Old 03-22-2009, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by iheartzombies
Just don't move to Houma LOL