Notices
Regional - Desert & Salt AZ, NM, UT

Documentation and VTR fees in Arizona

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:45 PM

Default Documentation and VTR fees in Arizona

I purchased a 2004 Scion XB from Scott Toyota in Scottsdale. I noticed on my contract a $370 "documentation fee" and $280 for a "VTR with Drivewise". I realize that the VTR is for tags and registration (though the price seems high), but the I've since come to find out that the "documentation fee" is pretty much straight profit for the dealer, since it should be around $50-100. Has everyone else been charged these fees? I've heard that California has regulation on this that limits the doc fee to $45, but no such government intervention in AZ.

Since I've already purchased the vehicle, should I go to the finance department to argue the fee, or would that just be a waste of time? Possibly get a discount?

Update: I've come to find out that "VTR" is actually Vehicle Theft Reduction. Basically, they etch numbers into your windows and drop you with a $280 bill for a job that probably cost less than $20 to do. Worthless.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

VTR is Vehicle tax and registration. Here in AZ it is higher then most states but unlike most states we have 30 year licenses and you can write VTR off on your taxes next year.

About the dealer fees i don't think there is any limit on that here in AZ and being that you bought a used scion the dealership is not bound by pure pricing anymore.

You can try and go argue the fee it couldn't hurt anything to try
Old 02-07-2008, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

There is not a limit on Doc fees in AZ at this time, but there have been several bills in the works in the state leg. that never make it out.

The doc fee can very by dealership, but it normally does not vary that much. The most I have seen is around $100 in doc fees less than another dealer.

You probably did get screwed on the VTR, not by choice, but some dealers through that in on you. I have taken that one many times in the rear. They get you in there excited about getting your vehicle and hope you do not see that until after you have signed the paperwork on your new purchase (in my opinion). Because this is an option that you did not want or ask for.