5 Year Member
SL Member

wow that really sucks when the dealer wont honor a claim

unless your driving a rx7 / 8 you car should not burn oil
Old 11-28-2008, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

o000o man thats happened to me t0o same exact thing!!......I thought it was only me!!....wow when i just got around 23,000 miles it started happening.....I'm almost on 24,000 car runs fine still............just dont know whats going on!
Old 11-29-2008, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Default Re: burning oil

Originally Posted by devstc
Wow I am so glad i have finally found someone with my same issue. Although i am sorry your Tc is burning oil. I have no HELP from the dealer on my issue nor have i had any help from Scion Customer service. My car burns a quart of oil every thousand miles. I have no smoke, no leaks under my car, etc. same as you. I have had this problem since my car had 23000 miles on it when Precision Toyota dealership noticed it as unusually low when i brought my car in to check an electrical issue. Then they noticed again when i brought it in for an oil change a couple thousand miles after that. They monitored the issue by making me drive a 1000 miles and bring it in to check my usuage. One time i brought it in but had to add a quart before they checked it and made my testing bad because i added my own oil. So they told me it is normal to burn up to a quart of oil per 1000 miles, its states that in the manual to cover their butts. I then started taking my car to Fletcher Tire shop to get my oil changes because they would measure my oil for me that they took out during my oil change, they were shocked i had such an issue with my car. They stated that it ISN't normal to burn oil like i do in my car. I went there three times, i have all my paperwork and even have oil that they took from my car. I then went back to a toyota dealership to get my oil change, this time a different place- they noticed that i had burned alot of oil but they couldn't stand up for me only with me bringing my car in once.
I just recently went back to Precision toyota for a oil change- ASKED them to please measure my oil before they do an oil change and make a note on my paperwork, i also told them that i was two quarts low on oil , and that the day before checked my oil level and had NONE showing on the dipstick-i added two quarts . I got my car back after they changed my oil, they NEVER noted anything- the whole time i am talking to the service advisor he is telling me they can't measure my oil before they give me a oil change and that is it normal to burn oil in my car- how rehearsed but the dealership and the Scion customer service technician has told me it is normal and ok for my car to burn that much oil.

That being said- can't tell that this issue really bumms me out. But i am not sure what else to do, where else to go for help on this issue. I have a 100000 mile warranty and a book of paperwork, but my luck when my car does break it will be after my warranty is up and it will then be my problem.

If you want to call me and we can meet and see what we can do together on this issue i would be greatful .

623-329-2003- I also live in tucson.

Sincerely,

Devon
Devon
I have worked in the past as a service writer and service manager for various dealerships Domestic and Import, and it is in most manuals that you car can burn 1 qt every 1000 miles......
HOWEVER the Mfgr. puts that in to cover thier proverbial BUTTS, I once had a customer that started a blog and got about 100 people nationwide to climb FORD'S Butt and got his issued resolved !!!!!!!!!!!!!

In this case the SQUEAKY WHEEL GOT THE GREASE !!!!!!Keep Makin Noise

wingsaseagles
Old 12-01-2008, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by jbae1221
quick question.. how do you know you are losing oil.. did you check it or did you get the oil light or did jiffy lube just tell you that you were low.?? did they top if off and said that it needed 2 quarts or did you assume that because they charged you for 2 quarts to top?? And if it was low and you checked the oil where on the stick was the oil at??
I've checked it myself....and top off's are free, so I've just been running in there every thousand miles to have it topped off post oil change. Each time I check it...on occassion it's not showed at ALL on the dipstick. Other times, I'll be making a u turn or a sudden stop, and the oil pressure (little oil can light on dash) will come on briefly and then shut off, presumably indicating all the oil has shifted out of the pumps reach and the light briefly comes on. That's usually a pretty good indicator for me to check it and yep, sho nuff it'll be major low.

And I sit in the car when they top off, this last time I actually watched them pour two and three quarter quarts into the motor...so, either way, it's low.. :-)
Old 12-01-2008, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Default Re: burning oil

Originally Posted by devstc
If you want to call me and we can meet and see what we can do together on this issue i would be greatful .

623-329-2003- I also live in tucson.

Sincerely,

Devon
Yeah, I'll give you a holler during the week and maybe we can chat on this one. I was at my uncles shop over the holiday weekend, and he's been one of Ford's top mechanics for more than thirty years. I gave him the rundown on what's going on, and really it could be any number of things but he's betting it might be the valve seals gone bad and oil is sneaking through. It's also possible as other said that the piston rings could be toast, but I would think you might see a slight decrease in performance, where it appears to me that my mileage and performance are still on top...granted the oil level is at full of course.

I'm going to start with upping the oil weight to a standard 10-W30 and then see how it behaves, and then take it from there...

I've got all my service records and I'd be happy to push this forward to Toyota in the event it IS something that may have eluded their recalls/service adivisories, etc.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yo bro you go ahead and do that and tell me how it runs please....i was also thinking bout doing that myself but waiting till its time to change my oil which should be next week.....but if you do it before me let me know whats up...cuz im having the same EXACT problems t0o lol.......its weird how this is happening to 3 of us
Old 12-02-2008, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by darkflare999
yo bro you go ahead and do that and tell me how it runs please....i was also thinking bout doing that myself but waiting till its time to change my oil which should be next week.....but if you do it before me let me know whats up...cuz im having the same EXACT problems t0o lol.......its weird how this is happening to 3 of us
Will do, I just need to find the time to do it. Technically I have a HALF of an oil change already, granted they just filled it with 2 3/4 quarts on Wed of last week. HAHAH If I don't get to it this week, I'll def. do it over the weekend, gotta do some brakework on it anyhow, maybe plugs to boot. But yeah, we'll figure this one out...hang in there everyone! :-D

~F
Old 12-09-2008, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

That is weird. Probably a stupid question but you are giving it time to warm up with it cooling down so much right? That could be hurting your rings if not.
What dealership have you gone too?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Yeah, for the most part, the car is garage kept so, it's not really sitting out in the 35 degree weather all night. Doesn't need much warming up in the a.m. Not a stupid question though.. :-) I used to go to Precision all the time, but my new gig is on the east side, so I went to Desert toyota the last couple of times.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

If you take it back to desert and they give the same response you should try precision again. You should try checking your plugs again. If it is seals theres now way that wouldn't be under warranty.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my advice having just been through this (though not done yet) you have to let the dealer do EVERYTHING. they need to run the tests and watch the oil get consumed themselves. ive been fighting with toyota for months about the same issue and thats just all it comes down to. and stay on them, or nothing gets done. contact scion, and if you can, get a toyota representative involved.

get a compression test and a leakdown test done, and make sure they tell you the results.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Default **Updated**

I've changed the oil, now using a standard 10w oil....going to check it constantly...see what happens. Just an update..
Old 12-22-2008, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Scion refuses to acknowledge this issue with the TC. They are being a royal pain in the a$$. I know of a couple dealers that say it is always some problem that it is not. Both dealers in Tucson and dealers in phoenix. Scion is really being a pain in the A$$ with this problem. They blame it on aftermarket parts, then when you put the manufacture parts on they say it is because you never took it to them.

Then you take it to them and pay a fortune for your oil change and drive away, and come back with it lower than when you started, it is something you are doing. Obviously they cannot get their heads out of their collective buts to take care of the customers who take care of them....
Old 12-22-2008, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I totally forgot to mention this...I had them put in a slick 50 engine treatment along with the oil change. I went in for a quick topoff today cause I had some time to kill on my lunch break, and as of now, the Oil Change w/ the slick 50 engine treatment...they didn't have to top off any oil.

Another benny to the slick 50 thing is they warranty your engine against anything happening to it...because I've already got 64k on my motor, they'll pay for 75% of any repair costs if the motor fails...all I've got to do is keep my oil changes current basically staying on top of maintenance, which I already do religiously. Stay tuned, I'll let you guys know what else comes about.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Wow. That seems impressive. Keep us posted.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn bro i didnt even get to do my oil change yet lol......i been out of the country and stuff.....and you sure that slick 50 stuff works?? i heard bad things about it and then i heard it does nothing at all s0o i dunno....kinda scared lol
Old 12-29-2008, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

so far so good...I went in for a top off to have them check the level and it looks good....keeping my fingers crossed....more to come.

F
Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
SL Member

I just hit 160K miles in my '06 tC and about 7K miles ago, my car started doing the same thing. I tought it was the dealership screwing up, but it happened again after 4K miles, I had to add 3 quarts. Had it checked out and monitored any oil on the ground and the shop found nothing, and haven't seen any oil on the ground. Has anyone heard anything more about this issue? I've heard its a seal or ring issue from casual talk, but haven't gotten a chance to visit a dealership again.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From 2008? Oh boy.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

i had a customer from california with this issue on her 06 tc she had her car diag'ed at a dealer out there. she was out here for a while and asked me to replace valve stem seals and as far as i know she's about 25k no issues. had another customer replace his motor due to another facility diag'ed lower end (possible ring and such) but he had to many people attempting to build his motor over and over. other than that most people i hear about due to the engine oil treatment stuff and that works like phederico said. on my personal car i was losing a quart every oil change and did the same with oil treatment stuff (Lucas stuff). i did about 2 or 3 time and ran normal oil changes after and mine has been ok the last few oil changes. although being a mechanic after working on cars all day i dont really want to work on mine so my oil changes are around 8-10k if i can remember to do it. anyways hope this helps you out. the suspect things i always hear are seals and rings but again that what i read i scion boards and the thing that people always tell there car was diag'ed with. hope this help and hope you get your figured out.

Quick Reply: Losing engine oil...need some input. Please Help!! Updated*