Notices
Regional - Desert & Salt AZ, NM, UT

Wind noise from the Yamaka Roof Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Wind noise from the Yamaka Roof Rack?

I have had my Scion XB and absolutly love it. I was never a "car guy", I usually go for a more economical approach (my last car was a *cough* Toyota Echo *cough*). But, now that I have the XB (Shadow Mica) I have been bitten by the Mod Bug.

Any how, the reason for the new thread was to discuss the issue with my new Roof Rack. I recently had my options installed from Big Two Toyota which includes: 15" Alloys, Upgraded Rear Lights, Crome Shifter, Yamaka Roof Rack, and the ever essential Floor Mats.

When driving home with a giddy smile on my face because of the roof rack (don't see many with the rack, like the idea of being a bit different), I noticed a lot of wind noise once I reached 60mph. It is quite loud. Does anyone else have the same problem?

I paid for the installation. Should I contact the dealer (Big Two, they were great by the way. I know Camelback Scion is huge on the site, but Big Two service was great) about the noise?

Thanks,
Chris
chris.harris81@gmail.com
Old 09-26-2006, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Apocalypse
SL Member

I have the Yakama rack on my xb, you need to purchace the one of the two optional fairings to cure the wind noise. There are two types:
Small clip on fairings, these are about 20-30 bucks for a pair (I believe).
Big front fairing, its about 50" long and clamps to the front bar and is about 50 bucks.
You can buy these at any of the outdoor outfitter shops or ebay.

Hope this helps.