Notices
Regional - Desert & Salt AZ, NM, UT
View Poll Results: Would you pay $100 for this?
Yes.
64.29%
No.
21.43%
No. That's what I have glass coverage for.
14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Would You Pay $100.00 For Windshield Protection??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default Would You Pay $100.00 For Windshield Protection??

A friend of mine is onto something new and wants some feedback from me. So I'm asking you.

Would you pay $100.00 for a product applied to your windshield that could:

- Improve visibility and clarity in the rain by making water fly off your windshield as well as any popular 'temporary' application.

- Make cleaning easier by drastically decreasing surface tension and making it harder for anything to stick to the glass.

- Increase resistance to impact and scratches by making the glass up to 10 times stronger! Reduces pits, chips and scratches which lead to costly repairs or replacements before they happen.

I had it applied to my windshield and the rain sheeting has been as good as they say. I washed my car the other day and, as I hit 20 MPH leaving the carwash, the water on my windshield began rolling to the sides until it was ALL gone.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member

Dear god, if it works I want it put on this week. Do tell.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

I'm interested as well.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm game, let me know the details
Old 09-05-2006, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

This does not sound right--what is it??
Old 09-05-2006, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if it works why not? does insurance cover it? does insurace support it?
Old 09-05-2006, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz

Scionetics
SL Member

im down!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would have to see it on your car 1st. Plus after time does that film ot what not discolor?
Old 09-05-2006, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Not a film. Will NEVER discolor.

This stuff is nanotechnology and grows new silica on the surface of your windshield to smooth out the surface on a microscopic level. Because the glass is smoother it lowers the ability for anything to stick. It also give rocks and debris a smoother surface to ricochet off of instead of catching a small crevice and becoming wedged into the surface until either the rock or the windshield gives.

They sell it for $100.00, with no warranty, and for a higher price with a two-year chip repair/windshield replacement warranty.

Once a year you clean it to take off the film that accumulates and restore the windshield's ability to shed water.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by soGone
if it works why not? does insurance cover it? does insurace support it?
I don't think insurance companies have adopted it yet so do not look at this as a replacement for glass coverage.

I do know that a large rental car company is testing it on 400 vehicles to see how much they can save on windshield replacements. I also know that the US Army is using this nanocoating on some of their vehicles to reduce pitting and increase visibility under the adverse weather they have to sometimes operate in.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

I took a Sharpie and scribbled on my windshield, then on the windshield of my wife's car. Had to use Windex and a paper towel to clean the Solara's windshield. Wiped it off of mine with a dry paper towel.

I'm thinking of inviting them out to one of our meets and seeing if we can get a group buy on having this done on our cars. Might be nice to have on the road trips to NM and Vegas.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

The only problem I see is that it is $100 every time you need to have your windshield replaced.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would be interested in it but more than that I would be interested in seeing how much it is with the warranty.

Cheers
Rob
Old 09-05-2006, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

sounds awesome but $100 might be a bit steep for me on something that has no warranty
Old 09-05-2006, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would try this product out but not for a $100 bucks. That's pretty high for a application product that you would have to do every year. If it's really that good then maybe it's a decent price. I have to see it first. If you get a group buy going that would be good.

So did that rentacar company pay $40,000 for 400 cars? What kind of deal did they get? I can't even see them even paying $10,000 for a test product. Are you planning on doing it a new cars at the dealership?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by dagarhart
The only problem I see is that it is $100 every time you need to have your windshield replaced.
Yup. But the idea is to go much longer between replacements.

They also sell it with a windshield warranty that repairs or replaces with zero deductible. It costs like $250.00 with the two year warranty but, I think, that's cheaper than glass coverage for the same period of time. Of course, glass coverage from your insurance company covers all your glass. We're just talking about our windshields here.

Once the product is applied it's permenant. You just need to clean it real well once a year to retain optimal water repellance.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by keoki
I would try this product out but not for a $100 bucks. That's pretty high for a application product that you would have to do every year. If it's really that good then maybe it's a decent price. I have to see it first. If you get a group buy going that would be good.
It's a one-time install with yearly cleanings. You can do the cleanings yourself if you use a cleaner that leaves no residue and can remove water stains and the other things that create the film that accumulates.

Originally Posted by keoki
So did that rentacar company pay $40,000 for 400 cars? What kind of deal did they get? I can't even see them even paying $10,000 for a test product. Are you planning on doing it a new cars at the dealership?
Don't know what they paid. They're self-insured so it was just the product and no warranty.

We're looking at possibly offering it here. I'd like to do it yesterday but we have channels we have to work through.

Of course.... it won't be $100.00 I'm betting
Old 09-05-2006, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok Mark spill it, when can they do my box? I was on my way home from work, not 20 minutes ago, a truck kicked up a rock and now I have a spider web across my windshield. My insurance will replace it but if this product does what it says it does, count me in. Soon!

My wife has gone thru 2 windshields in about 6 months so thats 3 for us ... not sure what it will do to our insurance especially if we get any more so I think a $100 is a bit expensive but I would give it a try. My wife drives 17 and 10 from Glendale to Tempe and I drive to Scottsdale every day so its bound to happen again.

Cheers
Rob
Old 09-05-2006, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with boomster, would have to see it done first. Sounds really good though.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by KooLAiD
I agree with boomster, would have to see it done first. Sounds really good though.
Uh.... it's transparent. You can't see it.

They committed to a discount, they just haven't told me what it will be. I'll invite them to a meet, have them tell us all about the product, then apply it to those that want to try it.

Quick Reply: Would You Pay $100.00 For Windshield Protection??