Notices
Regional - Everywhere Else AK, outside the US

Wire wheels and new tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member

Default Wire wheels and new tires

This is such a weird story.

So I had my new Player Wire Wheels with stiletto cap and Kumho 18" All seasons put on.
Recieved my new scion from the broker on Saturday October 18.
October 19th, made the mistake of answering my cell phone and drove into a curb. Smacking just the tire. Hit it hard but only damage was to the stock rim. No big deal, but realized that I would need an alignment. Needed to wait for that till my new rims, tires and Eibach pro drop kit was installed.

Nov. 12. Rims and tires installed. Sensors not put in cuz installer forgot. Drove the car for a week and was pretty happy with the look. It is sic...hehehe.

Nov. 19. Drove to Vancouver, and on the way to the ferry, a strange sound came out of my rear wheel. Kinda like something shifted and now was out of round. Very weird. I would hit the brakes and they would make a strange sound. Anyway, it freaked me out for the rest of the trip and I came back the next day, I took the car right down to SHC where I bought the rims and stuff. They proceeded to take off the rim and it looked like the adapter plate and rim were not in synch. Weird for sure. So away I went. No problem, ____ happens. I guess they put a little locktite on the threads and secured the cap on the hub.
Nov 25. Took car in to SHC to have the Eibach kit installed. No problem....yeah right. Picked up car at the end of the day and noticed the right front tire was really low. Installer took it over and pumped it up. I then went to work and when I came out at 11:00 pm the tire was almost flat again....fucccckkkkk. I very gingerly drove to the gas station and pumped up the tire. Cool....but now I am worried. I get home, park it and when I get up in the morning it is flat again.....aaaarrgggghhhh. I pump it up and am on my way to work. On the way I drop it off so that the guys can find out why I am losing air. As I am explaining this to the guy, I look down and notice that the locking cap is all scratched and the chrome has been scraped off. Not cool at all. Whats the point of bling if it isnt blinging. I tell him about this and he is ____ed off.

I guess he is the one guy in the shop that does the wire wheel installs and he knows that tthere is a special tool for undoing the hub. The other installers that had taken off the hub, didnt know about this tool and proceeded to use some sort of locking plumbers too to get it off and did all the damage. Now I am ____ed off and looking for answers. He said dont worry, we will take care of you. I told him to put the stock tires and wheels back on until we can get this figured out.

I get a phone call from him later on telling me that one of the spokes was not sealed correctly and that he had talked to Player wire wheel and they were sending replacement rims, hubs, and some special lube for putting the hubs on.

I just want to say thanks to the guys at SHC for making this right. I am ____ed that I have to go thru all of this but in the end, as long as they make it right then they will have a customer for life. ____ happens so no point in getting all out of whack.

So now I have a lowered XB with stock tires....yuckkkk....hehehe

I may leave the wires off till winter is over. No point in mucking them up over the winter with all the salt and sand that is put on the road.

Anyone else have any issues or problems with wire rims?
Old 11-28-2008, 06:06 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres hardly any body running wire rims on their scions they tend to use the over played out sportmax wheels

post up pics cause i wanna drool over 'em :D
Old 11-28-2008, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
theres hardly any body running wire rims on their scions they tend to use the over played out sportmax wheels

post up pics cause i wanna drool over 'em :D
I will post up but not till the spring. The wires are off now till then. They do look killer tho. Totally suits the 08 XB RS. The gold really shows off the rims nice. All the chrome looks pretty sic on those rims. The stiletto caps totally take them to the next level.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a bit of work getting that completed but it all works out in the end.
I know it's hurt to have the rims and not be running them, I swap out my 18"s for my stock 15"s for winter. I can't wait until spring to put them back on. Although, the ride on the 15"s is much nicer.

Post up pics when you get them back on, and I hope to see your xB at a future meet
Take care, CanxB