Regional - Great Lakes IL, IN, OH, MI, WI

Detroit Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Detroit Question

Hello. I was just accepted to Law School at Detroit Mercy. Im from Montana, and my peers are telling me not to go because Im going to get shot or something. Can any of you from that area tell me more about Detroit Michigan.

Thanks

Jake
Old 03-03-2006, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

most of the detroit crew post on se-detroit, you'd get a better response there

http://www.se-detroit.com/
Old 03-04-2006, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

ur not gonna get shot!

maybe stabbed. :-D
i had a roomate from college and if ur anything like him, then ur in trouble. :-p

ok but seriously, its definetely NOT montana. but, a little common sense will go a long way, and if its the school u want to go to, dont miss up the oppurtunity.
not to mention the nice guys of se:detroit, will give u a tour and show u which side of the highway u shouldnt go.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You are not going to get shot or stabbed! I live north of Detroit and have been in the area every month this year. Cobo Hall (North American International Auto Show and Autorama location), Joe Louis Arena (Red WIngs), GM World Headquarters, and the tunnel to Canada are right there by the Law School Campus on Jefferson.

I would recommend going the school is great. If you go you are probably not going to live near by. I would recommend one of the suburbs, cheaper and your car is safer. Royal Oak is where I live. Then not knowing what mods you have on your car. Depending on what parking is like for the school, several schools in so so location for theft have their own parking lots and security in the lot. If you are parking downtown in city parking you will want to research price, location and security.

If you rent a house or condo with a garage I would recommend downplaying your car not to attract attention. That is just me. I do not drive my xb downtown to often because I do not have an alarm or tint on the front doors and you can see my PS2 and headrest monitors with the leather interior and 17" chrome rims. If I do go downtown in it I pay a little extra to park in better lots.

If you need more info check us out like Raul and ALex said se-detroit.com. If you come out to check the area out give us a heads up we are always here for fellow scion brotheren. We try to make you feel at home.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went to U of D. Use a little common sence and you are gonna be just fine there. Im not sure about the Law Campus but the other 2 both have fenced lots with guards.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to Detroit!!!! The U of D Law School is a good one. It is no Detroit College of Law (now known as Michigan State University College of Law, my alma mater), but it is a good school. The law school has a fenced lot, and you are right downtown. I would be happy to give you some hints next time you are in the area. You really should check out the area, includig the law school and whatever area you think you might want to live in. Also, UofD has a decent pass rate on the Michigan bar exam, which helps. A lot of the local trial court and appellate court judges went to UofD, and the alumni network for the Michigan law schools is pretty good when placement time comes around. Istill vote for MSU College of Law, but U of D is good. You are only a few blocks from Greektown, and a few more from Ford Field and Comerica Park. I have made the walk with my 6 year old son, never had a problem. I do not recommend making it alone when there is nothing going on downtown, but most nights it is just fine...always something going on.

Shoot me a pm if you like, I can give you a little more info. Also, once you start, be sure to join the bar as a student member...dirt cheap and lots of perks.

Good luck!!
Old 03-06-2006, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

oh if its downtown ur fine. im pretty sure there is at least one cop on every block, and im pretty sure im not exaggerating.
and the strip clubs i hear r :-p in greektown!
Old 03-06-2006, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is true. Downtown is pretty much the only place you see Detroit Police and lots of them (yes on every corner). Its safe down there.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMHO, detroit downtown is not a good place to be. last year, i went to the college for creative studies. we had people on campus get a gun pulled on them a couple of times, robbed of their cash. there's abandoned buildings all over the place. it was too depressing for me. plus, the roads are sooooo horrible. you'd need some great suspension on your ride.