Notices
Regional - Great Lakes IL, IN, OH, MI, WI

Help with first Scion

Old 06-06-2012, 11:42 PM

Default Help with first Scion

Hello there I am new to the Scion game and require some help. I recently totaled my '05 Corolla XRS and was looking at purchasing a used Scion TC. I found this one close to me and was wondering how much the experts (That's you guys) think I should pay. I told the salesman that I didn't want to spend what they were asking ($10000) for the car and he told me the price was negotiable. The car is in pretty clean condition with minor cosmetic "Dings". There is a tiny amount of rust on the gas covering, a couple of small dents in the door panels, and the front bumper has a minor crack in it. Other than that the pictures and website describe everything else in the car. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://www.cincyimports.com/vehicle-...hatchback.html
Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That seems about average Price. You can compare the prices on Craigslist (Link to dealers only).

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/sea...min&maxAsk=max

I'm not a fan of the decals or the black bumper paint. I personally don't like buying modified/Ricey cars (No Offense) because I feel that the last owner probably thought he was Speed Racer and most likely abused the car.

It does have lower miles for an 05 though. It's hard to make a decision without personally seeing a car. Does the dealer have a carfax report for it?
Old 06-07-2012, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the response. He does have a car fax. Is there anything you would look at particularly on the report that you think i should look for?
Old 06-07-2012, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

if you're looking to spend about 10k on a tc i have mine that is currently for sale. ^^

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/3020849080.html

thats the link to my craigslist post.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...01#post4012801

thats the link to my for sale post on here.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

other than that though, 78k isn't bad at all. i turboed mine at about that mileage and still running strong. other people on here are running way higher mileage than that. these engines are strong as long as you keep up on the scheduled maintenance. Toyota uses the 2AZ in like half of the their lineup for a reason! lol
Old 06-07-2012, 02:58 PM

Dont buy that car for 10k, or even 5k.
It looks like butt, and was probably treated like one.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

and it lies! it has a sound system decal on it... but looks like a completely stock radio and everything else audio wise.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tylerd1990
Thanks for the response. He does have a car fax. Is there anything you would look at particularly on the report that you think i should look for?
I'd look for any accidents or engine damage. I believe major engine repairs come out on Carfax depending on the shop that did it.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, Look for any oil leaks on the frame of the car, on the underside panels, or any welding on the frame which would indicate a previous accident.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:30 AM

Thanks again for all the replies guys! I know the decals are kind of hit-or-miss. (I've been getting some flac from the guys I work with) but I kind of like them. I realize stereo is stock but I have got that covered (in dash DVD with 2 12'' subs and new speakers) The car itself needs just a bit of touch up. One of the posts mentioned looking under the frame....I am kind of a novice at cars. what exactly should i look for and where?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

i would just take it to a mechanic you trust and have them inspect it real quick. usually 50 bucks and they'll look it over and make sure everything is what they say it should be.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by SilverohhEight
Dont buy that car for 10k, or even 5k.
It looks like butt, and was probably treated like one.
x2

You can do better if you keep looking.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
x2

You can do better if you keep looking.
x3. you can do better just from the classifieds on here if you really want a scion
Old 06-10-2012, 03:48 AM

Thanks again guys. I checked the CarFax and it is super clean. One owner and no wrecks. This dealer is pretty reputable and i like this car. Any more advice would be more than welcome!
Old 06-10-2012, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you like it buy it.i would strip off the graphics and fender vents first and start with a clean slate
Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Murphys_Law
If you like it buy it.i would strip off the graphics and fender vents first and start with a clean slate
I agree. Remove the decals, too ricer and ugly imo. I'd offer 8,500. It's a 2005. Toyota or not. It's still 7 years old. If he bumps you up to 9, then you have a win.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:17 AM

Thanks again for all the information guys! i settled for $9000 (I am a terrible haggler lol ) I do have a couple of questions. First was i was wanting to put a couple of things on this car. First thing i want to do is remove SOME of the vinyls (The one that says "Sound System") and tint the windows. I also wanted to put some subs in the back as well as possibly (Because I can see the Flak coming already) underglow. Any opinions on these would be very much appreciated. The subs situation I have under wraps (I work at Best Buy and can get new ones super cheap) but i would like to know if any one here has subs in the trunk of their TC and how much room it leaves (I am looking at 2 12'') and brand and price of underglow (And if it is hard to install). Thanks again for all the help.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tylerd1990
Thanks again for all the information guys! i settled for $9000 (I am a terrible haggler lol ) I do have a couple of questions. First was i was wanting to put a couple of things on this car. First thing i want to do is remove SOME of the vinyls (The one that says "Sound System") and tint the windows. I also wanted to put some subs in the back as well as possibly (Because I can see the Flak coming already) underglow. Any opinions on these would be very much appreciated. The subs situation I have under wraps (I work at Best Buy and can get new ones super cheap) but i would like to know if any one here has subs in the trunk of their TC and how much room it leaves (I am looking at 2 12'') and brand and price of underglow (And if it is hard to install). Thanks again for all the help.
I swear if you do I will find you and your car and smack you with your underglow. Its gaudy, ricer, and it attracts police like it was batman with a symbol in the sky. Srsly wouldn't do it. Do something unique like glow in the grill or something. Hide them and have a little glow. I saw it and it looked mint.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:58 AM

Lol.wow...so upfront! Lol. I thought about that (attention from the cops). I just thought it looked kinda cool.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by skinnayyy
i would just take it to a mechanic you trust and have them inspect it real quick. usually 50 bucks and they'll look it over and make sure everything is what they say it should be.
This!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with first Scion