Regional - Great Lakes IL, IN, OH, MI, WI

IL drivers with tint

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default IL drivers with tint

Back in August, I got my windows tinted 20% from driver side window to passenger side window. I know having it on the front windows is illegal but I decided to go with it because everyone I've known whos had it has received only 1 ticket in approx 5-10 years. 3 days after I got it down I got a state ticket ($70) in Crystal Lake and then last week I got another ticket ($20) in Hoffman Estates. After getting the first ticket I decided that if my fines equal how much I paid to get it done ($170), I'd take it off. However when I got my 2nd ticket the officer said that Hoffman Estates has an ordinance where if you get another ticket for tints they can arrest you and impound your car. The officer could've been using a scare tactic but with local towns you never know. I currently live in Bartlett and have to pass through Hoffman to get to the highway. I'll be honest...I like my tint for the way it looks. I don't like the look of the rear windows tinted but not the front so if I were gonna take it off I'd take both off. Part of me is considering a lighter tint like 35%. Anyway, I'm curious to what you guys would do in this situation.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

first, u should do a search since there has been about 3 topics on window tint in the last couple of months.

i have mine at 35% and have yet to be bothered in chicago, and its legal in indiana. 20% i believe, means they cant see inside and theres ur problem. if u like getting pulled over leave it, if not take it off or put a light tint.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

your in the BURBS man!!! thats the first mistake!
Old 10-31-2006, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Echo
SL Member

It is legal for them to arrest you and impound your car if you have been ticketed for it and then get pulled over for it or something else again. I have 5% all around my xB and I have yet to get pulled over for it and my parents live out near you, in Cary. I was however parked in a fire lane at a grocery store just to run in and deposit a check at the bank inside and when i came out, a cop was parked behind me and told me that he had a problem w/ my tint and could arrest me if i didnt get if fixed and then layed into me about the fire lane parking. I understand that i was in the wrong, but I luckily was let off. So, its up to you if you want to deal with the law on this one. Im going to leave my tint on until i get a ticket for it, since i havent had one yet so they cant legally arrest me for it.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

you could always roll your windows down til you get the the expressway... lol but seeing hows its almost nov.. prolly not the best solution.... i have had my 5% on for as long as i have had my car... which is coming up on a year now... and have only recieved one ticket in schaumburg by some ******** cop... but beside that... no worries i would leave them on... just be a little more aware of your surroundings... watch out for cops..
Old 10-31-2006, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i just have a way of talking to police... if you get pulled over make sure your respectful and youll have a better chance of driving away... but alex is right. go with a lighter tint
Old 10-31-2006, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i am right. plus its not safe to be that dark, i can barely see at night when i have to turn. i know u guys cant see a thing w/o rolling the window down
Old 10-31-2006, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I appreciate the feedback guys. At first it was harder to see towards the sides but I've adjusted and my vision doesn't feel as tunneled. I've rolled down the windows when I've seen a cop but you can't catch them all...plus its getting cold. Lately I haven't been able to just relax and enjoy my car so I'm gonna take it off the sides when I get a chance. Too bad no warm sunny days are coming up to make the job easier.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by CRiMiNaL

exactly what I was thinking.

you could try to find an eye doctor to write something up saying you need the tints for an eye condition you have. of if you're not that obsessed with having tints that dark, you could put lighter tints on.
i've had tints on a couple of my old cars (limo all the way around on my old integra), and never got pulled over for it, but I've also known friends that have had lighter tints and gotten stopped for it. I don't know what mods you've got done to your car, but if it's an attention getter, you're going to be more likely to be stopped and in turn get ticketed for the tints even if you were stopped for something else.
Another thing to keep in mind (in case you happen to be doing anything illegal in your car) - having dark tints is like giving cops an invitation to pull you over.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default no front tints

Old 11-02-2006, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by 45CaliberBSP
you could try to find an eye doctor to write something up saying you need the tints for an eye condition you have.
yes thats a good theory, but any reputable doctor will give u blue blockers to wear
Old 11-02-2006, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

be aware that the eye doctor note thing is now very difficult to get.
when presented with one of these notes, judges are now calling the doctors that wrote the notes and requesting medical records.
as such, many doctors aren't giving these out freely anymore
Old 11-02-2006, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CRiMiNaL
Last night I was out in the city and the cab I was in ran a red, went 60 in a 30, and switched 3 lanes in about 10 ft. After being pulled over and playing dumb the cop only gave the driver a warning. Yup, I need to get outta the burbs.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alex, remember you don't get stopped cuz you have Indiana plates. It's like I was in Cali and tinted lite covers were illegal as well as not having a front plate. Oh yeah, I had Illinois plates. Cops won't do anything. It also may depend on driving habits, etc, etc. My parents both have tinted windows all around on their cars as well as mant Senior citizens and such. So what gives that maybe I can't have tinted front windows?? well, I don't cruise around the cruising hot spots, I don't drive crazy and irratic. But yet, I have a, to most, a "riced out" car, right? Just depends where you are and what you're doing and where you live. And I still don't have and won't have a front plate on my car. Neither of my cars have one. And neither do Corvettes. that's my arguement with that one.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default another shot of no front tints

Old 11-06-2006, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^^

Ummm .. why do you keep posting pics of your car and not saying anything. I dont get it ??
Old 11-07-2006, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[/url]
Old 11-07-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

wow!
Old 11-08-2006, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 11-08-2006, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what do you guys recommend for this area.. i live around skokie.. near evanston and lincolnwood and morton grove.. 35%? 30%?

and alsooo where did you gets get your stuff done at? any good places? thanksss!

Quick Reply: IL drivers with tint