Regional - Great Lakes IL, IN, OH, MI, WI

Question for IL drivers w/ exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Question for IL drivers w/ exhausts

Anyone get cop trouble with their exhausts, if so what type? I already get a ton of trouble as it is, so I need to know what to stay clear of. Thanks in advance
Old 03-20-2009, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Just learn to blip the throttle when you see em, so it's not as loud as you pass.

There are a lot of aftermarket exhausts for the box that meet the 93dB restrictions...
Old 03-20-2009, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm actually getting a tC in a couple weeks, I had an HKS on my box before it was totaled back in November. I was just asking becasue cops weren't too freindly when I had my HKS, and I thought the tC was louder.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone from our area getting a ticket for annoying exhaust. Don't think that bothers the cops too much. It's mostly for tints and speeding, that they'll pick on you...
Old 03-21-2009, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member

And front license plates. I got a warning for loud exhaust once back in 2000 in my friends bimmer. I think the cop was just having fun with me cause he gave me 6 warnings at once.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah my brother knows the front plate ticket all too well. I know he also got a warning for his carbon-ti on his Evo. Cool, sounds like a Tanabe Concept G shouldn't cause too many issues, thanks guys
Old 03-21-2009, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Echo

ive gotten pulled over for 35% tints on the driver/passenger windows, no front plate and exhaust by a state cop and by a mchenry county sherriff. the state cop only gave me a warning. as did the mchenry county cop. needless to say i decided to get my tints off and get a front plate put back on. but i was pulled over once again by a cary p.i. (those unmarked cars) went to court, had the tints off, the plate on (he couldnt ticket me for exhaust, i said it was carb approved, he said since i "didnt know" what i was talking about the exhaust would be just a warning). it ended up being $240 in court fees for two $20 dollar tickets.

honestly, theyll look for any reason to pull over a modded car, so dont give them a reason to ive learned the hard way . . . btw my exhaust is a Greddy tiC
Old 03-21-2009, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member

Did they ask you about your "home license plate"
Old 03-21-2009, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, I am so fearful of doing tints, I have heard of sooo many people getting pulled over for it.

How do you like the Ti-C? I was looking at that on but am kinda worried because its flashy, it looks sweet though.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Echo

yes matt they did, the cop asked where my front plate was, i said at home and he said its a front plate not a home plate . . . ugh cops . . . anyways yea i absolutely love the exhaust!
Old 03-21-2009, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i've only been bothered for it once and that was due to the officer already being proved wrong that i didnt have window tint and was using for quota.... was written warning on highway for it
Old 03-22-2009, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tC's are really blatty if you go crazy with the exhaust. especially a header. I personally don;t like the way they sound. almost earsplitting. take it easy driving other wise
Old 03-22-2009, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a Magnaflow Cat-Back on my 98' Eclipse for the longest, never had any issues.
I'm about to put a Dezod Exhaust on my tC, let you know if I run into any problems.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:01 PM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

city cops don't really care to much about exhaust, but everyone I know that got pulled over for exhaust was in the burbs, esp late at nite. You're driving home from a party or friend's house in the burbs, down one of those quiet roads. Then a bored cop is sitting along side of the road hears the exhaust, now they have something to do, lol.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

That's why I have a stock exhaust now. Also because I hate drone on the highway.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If you get pulled over for tints, do yourself a favor and don't lie to the officer and say that you "didn't know it was illegal on the front windows." face it, everyone knows its illegal, and the police know that you know. Tint is very unsafe for officers and I can say from experience that it is tough to approach a car with tints and not wonder what the driver and passengers are doing. Just roll all of your windows down for the officer, not just the drivers side and just say, I am not trying to hide the fact that I have tints, I'm rolling them down because I know people sometimes use them to hide things, but I'm not hiding anything, and I don't want to make your job any more unsafe... it may not get you out of a ticket, but at least the officer will respect you for being honest.

as for the exhaust... I know people get stopped for this but I'm thinking it is more a combination of many things. Don't draw attention by fast acceleration, or neons and you should be safe.

Lastly, if you get stopped for these mods don't get an attitude because you know they risk when you make these mods. Just try to make the decision on if you should keep them or not. Most of all be safe out there
Old 03-28-2009, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

How's it all going, Sean?
Old 03-28-2009, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

i thought they didnt have the dB laws anymore?
i thought it was changed to anything louder than stock is now illegal?

i got sooo much trouble from them with my Tsudo.
slightly less with my AP.
and none so far with my Ptuning.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear ya stillmtion, I am definatly going to avoid the tints, I am thinking about getting the new Greddy Spectrum Elite exhaust, its very low key, and pretty quite from what I've heard. Thanks for the responses so far everyone
Old 04-13-2009, 06:39 AM
SL Member

i just talked to a cop that stopped by my work the other day about exhausts, he said "if its too loud ill ticket u" and also said if u drive by my and u punch ur car i will stop u, so wenever u pass a cop let go of the gas

Quick Reply: Question for IL drivers w/ exhausts