Notices
Regional - Great Lakes IL, IN, OH, MI, WI

TeamScionara - Winter Cometh!! What now!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Team Scionara
SL Member

Question TeamScionara - Winter Cometh!! What now!?!?!

With winter on the way and snow just less than a week away, its time to prepare... But how? And what things do we take into consideration when the roads get as bad as they do. I thought I'd start this little thread for people like me who have just moved up to Michigan from Miami (Dont ask but the move was nessecary!) and are about to experince my first winter.

SALT & METAL </3
Wash car regular, especially the underbody to remove salt and the like. DONT FORGET YOUR RIMS, I bought my xb from up here and can see where salt got on the lip and just ate away lol.

BANG your stuck in a snowditch! Do we need to keep food,snax and drinks in the car just incase?

Beware Black Ice....
wtf is that? are we discriminating? Why isn't white ice just as bad? or yellow for that matter

Are you guys cancelling your car meets?
Or just lowering the times per month u meet?

If we're lowered is it really a problem?
Will we become the neighborhood plow if we're lowered or does it not really make a difference?

I have low profile tires, but great tread... will i have a problem?

Lets say I start to lose control, we have front wheel drive, which way do we stear, into the spin or away? oooo and i have manual transmission what can that do to help?

So as you can see, not really prepared yet for winter, but I'm working on it, if you can answer any questions or add more questions to be answered let me know and Ill edit this post to make a kind of Winter Survival Guide for your Scion
Old 11-13-2010, 11:48 PM
SL Member
Scinergy

well I can say I have already taken my rims off and they are stored in the basement, stocks are back on. I'm lowered on Tanabe DF210's, with the stocks on didn't really have much problem driving in the snow in Colorado the last 2-3 years...ya just gotta be careful in and out of driveways/parking lots that might have ice build up at the entrances and watch for the large ice chunks that might be laying in the road from falling off semi's and the like that went before you....and as for steering...you can be prepared all you want but when it happens that usually goes right out of your head as fast as you think "oh f@$%, I'm sliding".... lol

seriously though drive low and slow, you should be ok.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

Originally Posted by Medic-Box
With winter on the way and snow just less than a week away, its time to prepare... But how? And what things do we take into consideration when the roads get as bad as they do. I thought I'd start this little thread for people like me who have just moved up to Michigan from Miami (Dont ask but the move was nessecary!) and are about to experince my first winter.

SALT & METAL </3
Wash car regular, especially the underbody to remove salt and the like. DONT FORGET YOUR RIMS, I bought my xb from up here and can see where salt got on the lip and just ate away lol.

BANG your stuck in a snowditch! Do we need to keep food,snax and drinks in the car just incase?
nahhh, for the most part you'd be out the ditch fairly quickly. We're used to that kind of stuff up here and tow trucks are fairly quick

Beware Black Ice....
wtf is that? are we discriminating? Why isn't white ice just as bad? or yellow for that matter
black ice is scarier than white ice for the fact that when the roads get wet, they turn almost black from the moisture. (especially on asphalt, and especially at night) Black ice blends in with the road so you don't even know you're on ice until you're in the said ditch above.

Are you guys cancelling your car meets?
Or just lowering the times per month u meet?
don't know the answer to these because i've never been able to make it to a meet because i live 45 minutes from the meets and they're not on days when i can

If we're lowered is it really a problem?
Will we become the neighborhood plow if we're lowered or does it not really make a difference?
for the most part (don't know exactly where you live) but the streets are plowed well. If you're driving through an excessive amount of snow, it's because we just got dumped on and theres nothing you can do about it. I've spoken with people from other states where there is a lot of snow and being lowered and have said theres nothing really to worry about. Potholes in michigan are probably scarier.

I have low profile tires, but great tread... will i have a problem?
like stated above the roads are cleared mainly, but all you really have to do, is slow down and be careful.

Lets say I start to lose control, we have front wheel drive, which way do we stear, into the spin or away? oooo and i have manual transmission what can that do to help?
you turn the wheel whichever way will make your wheels go straight with the road. so if your back wheels are sliding out towards the passenger side, and your car is facing the drivers side of the road, you would turn your wheel as if you were making a right hand turn. but not too much because it'll over compensate and you'll do the same thing but the other direction.

So as you can see, not really prepared yet for winter, but I'm working on it, if you can answer any questions or add more questions to be answered let me know and Ill edit this post to make a kind of Winter Survival Guide for your Scion
there you go!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:24 PM
SL Member

could always store ur car and buy a hummer like i did for winter hahah
Old 11-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Team Scionara
SL Member

thanks but i enjoy more than 2 mpgs LOL jkjk.... or am I? Muahahahah
Old 11-17-2010, 02:12 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Medic-Box
thanks but i enjoy more than 2 mpgs LOL jkjk.... or am I? Muahahahah

hahahha i know i go through a tank the same speed because i speed in the tc more then the hummer haha
Old 12-03-2010, 03:18 AM

My XB2 handled great in the snow last winter. especially when i would e-brake all over snow covered parking lots.:?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:21 AM
SL Member

is it spring yet? wow im never on here. i come on once and thats what i say...is it spring yet? what a loser. so winter is here...i say time to mod! lets rip these boxes apart like its christmas morning and start getting ready for the shows! so much to do, so little time. i know medic has a decent space to work on cars, anyone else? weather its tuning, custom or maintenence, its a rad idea to keep us all in touch while also giving us a warm place to meet..and maybe get some things done and learn a thing or two. also i think it would be awesome to get a jump on making apperal for spring/summer. hats, shirts, decals...lets represent hard next season. maybe even set up some meetings with local business etc. like some of us have discussed already. why wait for shows, lets make em happen! might even get some sponsership, swag or new members outta the deal. charity events would be sweet too! but i digress. what do yall think?!?!?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Team Scionara
SL Member

YEA! WHOOOOOHOOOO!!! LOL.

Ok, so yea deffinitly going to have to switch these tires. Slip sliding! And have to use wife's springs.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Team Scionara
SL Member

yeah i need to find some better rims for my car...need to check out somewhere that sells used tires and rims because belle tire and discount want to sell me aluminum rims and i want those black steel factory rims that you put hub caps over for my car...just to get me through the winter.....
Old 12-14-2010, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

parts galore. find a car that has the same bolt pattern as us (preferably 90's or earlier) and then go there and grab some.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Team Scionara
SL Member

Let us know if you find XB parts.

No lie, I feel Like international drift king ken gushi when i hit some of these parking lots... I think we should meet and do a drift course and film it for my montage I'm making. Whose game?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

there aren't many new cars there. it's like 99% old cars. sometimes you can get lucky and find a newer car, but it's picked clean
Old 12-21-2010, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just buy winter rims and tires like most people. Mine is my DD so it sees snow alot!