Regional - Great Lakes: CHI Metro Chicagoland Metropolitan Area

Chicago NOPI Event

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Chicago NOPI Event

Is the whole thing cancelled? I know the drift part is for sure, but does that mean the car show and everything?

I'm just trying to iron out the rumors. I emailed the contacts listed at NOPI's site to get the skinny, but maybe someone here knows more.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

the site says the event is cancelled. and it was already moved once. and remember what happend at bbash? dont think they go for events in that neighberhood. after soccer games they MAKE everyone leave right away
Old 08-14-2007, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there's always Rt-66 raceway.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ucyib2papi
the site says the event is cancelled. and it was already moved once. and remember what happend at bbash? dont think they go for events in that neighberhood. after soccer games they MAKE everyone leave right away
I always find it amazing that ppl that live next door to a stadium complain about the noise. It's like " Did you not notice that thing BEFORE you moved in?"

Oh well....Thanks for the info guys, if I hear anything from those NOPI guys, I'll post it up.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

well, in there defense, that stadium is only about 3 yrs old, but they did allow for it to be built.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I just received this from Glenn at NOPI:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Dustin, unfortunately there will be no event this weekend in Chicago. You can thank the Bridgeview Township and the Stadium Authority for the cancellation.
Thank you for all of your support and the willingness to come and support NOPI. We will return to Chicago in 2008, obviously it will be at a better prepared and more capable facility.

Glenn Woods
NDRA Race Director
NOPI DRIFT Race Director
NOPI Motorsports Event Coordinator
W: 404-366-4700 X 241
C: 678-313-4458
F: 404-361-0199
glennw@nopi.com
nopitech@nopi.com
nopidrift@nopi.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

At least now we know it's official.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ucyib2papi
well, in there defense, that stadium is only about 3 yrs old, but they did allow for it to be built.
Ah, I wasn't sure about the age of the place. But yeah, I'm sure when they built it they had $$$$ on their minds.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim
there's always Rt-66 raceway.
i was thinking that they should throw it at rt66 as well but dont they plan these events a year ahead? bc according to the email from mark this was something they arranged for a year now....

here's what it says on the website if you all need more info and dont wanna look for it

NOPI Motorsports is sad to announce the cancellation of the NOPI Drift event in Chicago this weekend August 18th and 19th. NOPI has received notification this morning from Toyota Park that they will not make the facility available for the NOPI Drift event in Chicago this weekend. NOPI believes that it has a valid contract with Anschutz Chicago Soccer Stadium, LLC, the owner of the facility, and the reasons for their refusal to allow the event to take place are still not clear. NOPI has instructed its attorney to take any and all action necessary to hold them accountable for their actions in refusing to honor their contract with NOPI. "We have been negotiating with Toyota Park since last October and they have even been selling tickets on their website. People from all over the country were scheduled to come to this event and we have invested tens of thousands of dollars in up front costs.", stated Michael Meyers, President of NOPI Motorsports, LLC.
T. Michael Martin, attorney for NOPI Motorsports, stated "We believe that we clearly have a valid agreement with the facility and their refusal to allow the event is a breach of that agreement and we will hold them accountable for their actions. NOPI will suffer serious financial losses because of this action and we take any and all actions necessary, including the filing of a lawsuit, to recoup those losses and the damage done to the reputation of NOPI Motorsports, LLC". Martin continued, "We believe that this refusal to allow the event may very well be political and has nothing to do with the terms of the agreement entered into".

This is something very new to NOPI, as they have never encountered anything like this in their history. We apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you.

Please stay tuned for more info on the NOPI Drift series and how NOPI will handle the points leading into the NOPI Drift finals held at the NOPI Nationals show in Atlanta. If you have any questions regarding this, please email Caleb Garrett at caleb@nopi.com or Glenn Woods at glennw@nopi.com.