Regional - Islands HI, Puerto Rico, Guam

speeding ticket in hawaii help me

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If it was me and I had prepaid legal, I'd go for it. I don't think it's worth it to hire a lawyer otherwise. JMO. Good luck either way to the OP.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:18 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by leonDB
If it was me and I had prepaid legal, I'd go for it. I don't think it's worth it to hire a lawyer otherwise. JMO. Good luck either way to the OP.
Actually, traffic lawyers usually only charge about $75 per ticket or violation. That's typically about half or less than half what the average ticket will cost you. Often times the actual court date, due to the lawyer's schedule, will be anywhere from 6 months to 18 months later. Which, even if you had to pay the fine for deferred adjudication, you could save up $10 a week and still never even feel the financial impact of the ticket itself.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:08 AM
SL Member

Well hmm....guess I don't get my apology. His member page says he's logged in as recently as 3 days ago, yet no replies. I understand his position, though. On the rare occasion I am proven wrong, I hate to have it thrown back at me as well.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Knightman
Well hmm....guess I don't get my apology. His member page says he's logged in as recently as 3 days ago, yet no replies. I understand his position, though. On the rare occasion I am proven wrong, I hate to have it thrown back at me as well.
Hey, I got your PM...if you really think your lawyer will reply then I'll send him an email. If he answers then he might not have that much to do. :-)

That said, that has no bearings on to what extent it is better to just pay the ticket...IF YOU WERE DRIVING TOO FAST, just pay it. It is the honorable thing to do. Take respoinsibility for your own actions. If you have a case where you didn't drive too fast, and the police still fined you...go ahead state your case... you seem to be ignoring this.

Btw. I think you have might be misunderstanding what Prima Facie means. It means Evidence good and sufficient on its face ie. you have to disprove that you were drivng at the speed. The argument as you state it is more an admission of guilt than anything else.

anyhoo, I still think we are moving in circles.
a.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by tautologies
Hey, I got your PM...if you really think your lawyer will reply then I'll send him an email. If he answers then he might not have that much to do. :-)

That said, that has no bearings on to what extent it is better to just pay the ticket...IF YOU WERE DRIVING TOO FAST, just pay it. It is the honorable thing to do. Take respoinsibility for your own actions. If you have a case where you didn't drive too fast, and the police still fined you...go ahead state your case... you seem to be ignoring this.

Btw. I think you have might be misunderstanding what Prima Facie means. It means Evidence good and sufficient on its face ie. you have to disprove that you were drivng at the speed. The argument as you state it is more an admission of guilt than anything else.

anyhoo, I still think we are moving in circles.
a.
We're moving in circles because of your delusion.

ALWAYS, unless you yourself are a lawyer, you should hire one. They get paid to advise people who are not as well-versed in the law as they are.

You have this disconnect where you think hiring a lawyer magically makes things all better. It doesn't. Many times, they can't get you off for the offense and you *do* end up paying the fine. However, when a lawyer takes your case, though you may pay the fine, you do so under a deferred adjudication so that you don't get points on your license. You still "own up to it" as you put it, but you don't have the added worry of losing your license because you were easy pickins on a day when you traveled in a group of speeders.

And it's lovely to hear someone with no knowledge of the law tell me I don't understand it. The information I gave you was quoted directly from my own lawyer (who likely has a better understanding of the law than you do) and it's an understanding he uses OFTEN in court to win his cases.

You know what? I am not a lawyer and I know I don't have a full understanding of the law. MOST citizens don't. It's not our area of expertise. Therefore, you MUST hire a lawyer who can, and who gets paid to properly advise you of all of your rights. That's what's essential here -- looking out for the innocent until proven guilty or pleaded guilty. Prosecutors are known for trying to "run up the score" legally speaking. They will get you for whatever they can because it puts another "win" in their record for whatever else their career may hold down the line. Defense lawyers are the opposite. They look out for those paying them because it's their rights that need looking after.

As a final note, considering how eager you were to prove me wrong, you sure are taking your sweet time. If I were you, I wouldn't bother. This argument was over with me as the victor almost 2 months ago. You're afraid to be proven wrong or you'd have e-mailed the lawyer already.

Don't waste your time. You won't agree with whatever the reply is and I honestly don't care. You can cop to speeding, robbery, murder, whatever you like.

When I'm accused of something I know I didn't do, I will fight it. No matter what.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 AM

Could please give me info on your lawyer, I need someone like that right now! Got a speeding ticket.