Notices
Regional - Lonestar OK, TX

Sound deadening? Where to get it done....

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sound deadening? Where to get it done....

I know you get what you pay for, so...that said....I do NOT want to DIY on this job....no matter how simple it seems, and I really don't have the time to get the hands dirty right now

Know of a good, decently priced shop in the Lewisville area that will do this deadening for me?
I want to get this done BEFORE I start installing speakers and amps and boxes and all that jazz.....
Old 05-06-2006, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just go to a Best Buy and hve them Dynamat your car. It helps a lot.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2006, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i did my car myself - i used a very very lot of product. also - what in the world would best buy charge for such? I looked at their product and it was over twice as expensive ( without even getting into the install costs)
Old 05-06-2006, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Remember my first statement...you get what you pay for? Never deadened a car before, not going to *pay* myself to do it....I'll pay a little to get it done correctly....

THAT SAID.....I just spoke to a place around the corner.....to deaden everything like what is shown in the Tech section, panels, doors, tailgate, etc.....around $300 material included......if I just went with the deadening behind the speakers while they are installing, they would do that for $75 + the cost of the speakers. I'm not only concerned with the acoustics for the speakers, but would also like to drown out *some* of the external noise.

*sigh* -- Me and a six pack might just be tackling this job after all.....

Is there a liquid that can be *painted* on to make this easier??
Old 05-06-2006, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is a foam substance u can spray but everyone i know that has used ithasnt liked it. I used dynamat and loved it
Old 05-06-2006, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member

yeah but he isnt talkin about te labor cost of doing it,,, he is talkin about the price of the material you get what you pay for is correct but why pay twice as much than usual just cause your lazy... i see his point if you dont have the time then maybe you should just wait until you do so you can buy more amps speakers..etc...
Old 05-06-2006, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not lazy....injured back....don't really want to mess with doing it myself....but, will if I have to....that only requires and extra vicodin...which, ain't a bad problem to have
Old 05-06-2006, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

jeze - i spent $280 just on my material - i did more then one coat for the whole car and a few spots I put down more layers. For the back speakers you are going to need LOTS of material. If you take both side panels out and ride down the road you will hear all the road noise ...its pretty darn bad.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What material did you use?
Old 05-07-2006, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

RAAMmat - i had LOTS - the cost was higher because I did everything from the trunk to below the driver/pass feet. I went to the store and looked at the dynomat price and I had enough material as 4 rolls of the $250 stuff. Meaning - I prob spent more like 1/4 of the price. In reality if someone else did the job for me they wouldnt have done the floor and the whole car. I had a few days off from work so I did the whole thing because of 2 things. 1.) I had no clue how much material I ordered and 2.) the sound difference inside if the car is a lot lower! When you hit holes in the road it feels like a thud instead of a bang (if you can follow what im saying).
Old 05-07-2006, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

gotcha -- thanks -- I have some time off coming, I might just use the vacation days as modding days
Old 05-07-2006, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Did my Xb 3 layers thick thru out...Make sure you get under the headliner. It took about 20 hours 2 people doing it. After it's done you will find it is well worth it.The quality is about 10 times better. THe stuff is not cheep when you do a whole Xb 3x..Don't waste your money on dyno-crap, better products out there for less money.
Don't rush it and don't forget to clean the metal b/4 you apply.

Good luck!!
Old 05-07-2006, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member

I agree with RAAMAT being a great product for the price. It was easy to work with and they were a great company to work with. I have done three doors, the hatch and rear quarter panel on an XB and it made quite a difference. The driver door has some warranty work so having to wait on it.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

20 Hours? You underestimate the slacking power of my friends and I -- Seriously...that wasn't all at once, right? Can you break down by times how long each portion of your xB took? I can better plan my assault that way.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it takes forever. i have only done my doors (inside/outside shell) and hatch and that took me like 5-6 hours. I guess Im just slow and having friends with you kinda slows everything down. But it feels good to hear the difference and know you DIY.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another possibility is eDead. Mandos did a write up on the forums. Their version one product is just as ood as dynamat and its a buck a square foot.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Strip that bad boy down seats out door panels everything order ya some FatMat 100 Sq Ft for 100 bucks cant be it 50 Sq Ft did three layers in my box!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Question, what about water accumulation in doors? and does the added thickness of material cause any fitment problems of interior items when the floor is done? maybe if i do it these questions will clear up themselves.

thanks.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well Mandos did like two layers all over his car and everything "fit" afterword. I think the main reason why there is no problem is that in the process of edead'n he removed all of the stock sound insulation.

Quick Reply: Sound deadening? Where to get it done....